Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by theaman)
    Everyone seemed to want to go back to their work and get on with things.

Typical English thing but thats what I saw when I was there today - as well as people clocking up miles on their pedometers.
    :rofl: typical English indeed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    Hi there, i hope you dont mind if i ask a question to you.

Right, muslims condemn murder and they condemn any inhumane acts in the name of Islam. (i think thats right). Well surely these terrorists arte going against their religion and using their Gods name in vein to carry out such disgusting attacks. i hope that makes sense.

Am i right in saying this?

Thanks
    exactly, they are using their own gods name in vein to make an excuse for war. as i said these acts have noting whatsoever to do with islam. that is why honourable muslims feel so angry when they see these atrocities as it undoubtedly scars our religion. i come from a turkey, a muslim country and the foreign minister of turkey just issued a very strong condemnation of these acts. these people are the product of years of brainwashing in the middle east againt western values.

ReputationRep:
    As heartless as this is going to sound, this attack is going to be quite the kick in the teeth to tourism in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feeling good)
    Deepest condolences to those whose families have been broken by the events in London today.

Not sure if anyone' mentioned this, but just wanted to point out that if the terrorist's aim was for bloodshed, they could have struck at the live8 concert insted of today resulting in many more casualties. I agree with singhfello that the aim was panic-inducement
    very true. it could also be seen as a clear warning as well though. that they are capable of doing this kindof of thing and that they could've done it earlier on in the week resulting in much greater devastation.

ReputationRep:
    Do they have a list of all dead?

ReputationRep:
    oh right i see, fair enough. this attack will make our friendship with the US and other countries around the world ever stronger, particularly in the US.
    Let's hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    As heartless as this is going to sound, this attack is going to be quite the kick in the teeth to tourism in Britain.
    yes that is probably very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Tourism in New York City was back to its pre-9/11 level in about a year. Anyway, just like New York, London depends much more on the finance industry than on tourism, and the finance industry has not been affected.

ReputationRep:
    Quick someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    The BBC said experts were predicting an immediate fall in tourism, but it would soon pick up again as it did after the Twin Towers and Madrid bombings.

ReputationRep:
    Well, between the rioters at G8 and the London bombings, I doubt the average tourist will have a good view of Britain right now.

(Original post by SeGy)
    exactly, they are using their own gods name in vein to make an excuse for war. as i said these acts have noting whatsoever to do with islam. that is why honourable muslims feel so angry when they see these atrocities as it undoubtedly scars our religion. i come from a turkey, a muslim country and the foreign minister of turkey just issued a very strong condemnation of these acts. these people are the product of years of brainwashing in the middle east againt western values.
    Thanks i respect your answer, im glad i was right hehe. I respect your foreign minister and other muslims. I know other Muslims are not extremists, you just get the odd few who are, and these odd few cause such disgusting attacks and makes the Muslim people look bad, when this is certainly not the case.

ReputationRep:
    well, hopefullly this'll put a bit of perspective into to the minds of the rioters at G8 and maybe it'll stop them from doing the mindless acts they are doing so

(Original post by Bismarck)
    Let's hope so.
    no need to hope, i feel it will happen. however, our relationship with the US is already extremely strong.

ReputationRep:
    There's a number you can call to look for people.

ReputationRep:
    no need to hope, i feel it will happen. however, our relationship with the US is already extremely strong.
    People said the same thing about the US after 9/11. Didn't quite work that way.

(Original post by chats)
    Do they have a list of all dead?
    Call the number and they will tell you who to contact I expect

ReputationRep:
    its the french relationship i think we need to build on. but at that point i'll stop, this isn't the thread for it.
    does anybody know whether the reports of incidents at both canary wharf and heathrow were just rumours or they actually occured? i can find little info on this anywhere

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I agree with foxo on the tourism point, and although it's obvious no one in Britain's could do anything to prevent it, it does reflect badly that these events occured the day after the Olympic games 2012 were designated to London. Saying that however is considerably small compared to the losses of a minimum 37 lives.

(Original post by Bismarck)
    People said the same thing about the US after 9/11. Didn't quite work that way.
    it did, our friendship got stronger and the whole world stuck together to offer their condolencies and support. How comes you say it didn't?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.