Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by feeling good)
    Yeh I agree with foxo on the tourism point, and although it's obvious no one in Britain's could do anything to prevent it, it does reflect badly that these events occured the day after the Olympic games 2012 were designated to London. Saying that however is considerably small compared to the losses of a minimum 37 lives.
    do you know how bad that sounds, "of a minimum of 37 lives" seriously dude, reword that part. 37 lives is loads and a complete tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    Because, the rest of the world's opinion towards the USA declined as they declared the Iraq war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    it did, our friendship got stronger and the whole world stuck together to offer their condolencies and support. How comes you say it didn't?
    British approval rating for the US fell from 70+% to about 50%.

(Original post by foxo)
    Because, the rest of the world's opinion towards the USA declined as they declared the Iraq war.
    i didn't really care about the USA declaeing war to get Suddam out of power, i thought good on them, however the G8 should be doing something about Zimbabwe, and to get Mugabe out of power. He is as bad as Suddam in my eyes.
    i still have a nice opinion of the Americans. i hope Americans feel the same way about us Brits.

ReputationRep:
    Flukey:

Thats what i meant by a minimum of 37 lives- that at least that number of people have already died, is indeed a huge number and truly my heart gos out to them. Didnt mean to sound out of order before .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmyl)
    its the french relationship i think we need to build on. but at that point i'll stop, this isn't the thread for it.
    does anybody know whether the reports of incidents at both canary wharf and heathrow were just rumours or they actually occured? i can find little info on this anywhere

The Met police bloke at the conference said he knew nothing about the Canary Wharf incident.

Heathrow, i've not heard about. My guess is it didn't happen. Terminal three was evacuated earlieraccording to the BBC, but was reopened soon after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    The Met police bloke at the conference said he knew nothing about the Canary Wharf incident.

Heathrow, i've not heard about. My guess is it didn't happen. Terminal three was evacuated earlieraccording to the BBC, but was reopened soon after.
    oh, ok. thanks for the info

Flukey:

Thats what i meant by a minimum of 37 lives- that at least that number of people have already died, is indeed a huge number and truly my heart gos out to them. Didnt mean to sound out of order before .
    oh right in that case i apologise, its just the way i read it. sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    i didn't really care about the USA declaeing war to get Suddam out of power, i thought good on them, however the G8 should be doing something about Zimbabwe, and to get Mugabe out of power. He is as bad as Suddam in my eyes.
    i still have a nice opinion of the Americans. i hope Americans feel the same way about us Brits.
    Slightly more than half of Brits have a favorable opinion of the US, while 72% of Americans have a favorable view of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you feel this information is reliable, Bismarck?

I've never been asked what I think of the states.

ReputationRep:
    sadly, those stats do not surprise me in the least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    What makes you feel this information is reliable, Bismarck?

I've never been asked what I think of the states.
    It's done by the Pew Research Center. I'm sure its website mentions the methodology used for this survey. It's the most credibly polling agency in the world.

Found it.

ReputationRep:
    I missed the bit on the news about what the G8 summit is going to do due to these circumstances- Anyone hear?

ReputationRep:
    I missed the bit on the news about what the G8 summit is going to do due to these circumstances- Anyone hear?
    It's going to continue its work as if nothing happened.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting - biggest stock market slump in 3 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    It's done by the Pew Research Center. I'm sure its website mentions the methodology used for this survey. It's the most credibly polling agency in the world.

Found it.
    Perhaps it says something about the type of person who answers telephone surveys, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Perhaps it says something about the type of person who answers telephone surveys, though.
    I'm sure that's taken into account by the statisticians who do they surveys.

ReputationRep:
    I have mixed feelings about G8's decision to continue. On one hand it seems callous to continue discussions when something so terrible has just occured, as if nothing has happened.
    On the other hand world poverty has been a pressing concern for a number of years so I doubt they would stop at this stage.

All in all probably the right decision by Blair to come back to the country and at the same time let the others continue their work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I'm sure that's taken into account by the statisticians who do they surveys.
    Well, most people I know decline telephone sales and surveys. Actually, most people probably don't put their number down to receive them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Well, most people I know decline telephone sales and surveys. Actually, most people probably don't put their number down to receive them.
    That's why there is a margin of error of 4%. Besides, it's not the actual numbers that matter. What is important is the change over time.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.