Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by foxo)
    Well, most people I know decline telephone sales and surveys. Actually, most people probably don't put their number down to receive them.
    good point, however you dont put your number down to receive them, they get your number through other means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    good point, however you dont put your number down to receive them, they get your number through other means.
    Through market research agencies. Usually if you don't notice the tick box on something you're sending away for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Its inevitable people are going to discuss these things.

People die in Iraq as a result of similar types of blasts on a daily basis, but I've never seen you or anyone else criticise anyone discussing things regarding the Iraqi problem because someone died that day.
    Anyone can be forgived for taking todays attacks with a great deal more shock than those with which we see in Iraq. Its only human to feel emotionally closer to fellow countrymen, those killed not minutes from a place of work or those who share our way of life. Im no different. YET in stark contrast with those who condemn the attacks against innocent Iraqis and who are emotionally shaken by todays events, you draw little distinction in holding our national leaders guilty for the horrors that both involve. Whether Iraq or London, that is not irresponsible, but deeply offensive to all.

(Original post by foxo)
    Through market research agencies. Usually if you don't notice the tick box on something you're sending away for.
    yep thats exactly how they get your numbers. hehe

Does anyone know when there is going to be a a national minutes silence in respect for those affect in todays attacks?

ReputationRep:

Does anyone know when there is going to be a a national minutes silence in respect for those affect in todays attacks?
    I've been silent most of the day... as have most people I've seen...

Had a lump in my throat since I heard...

(Original post by SW)
    I've been silent most of the day... as have most people I've seen...

Had a lump in my throat since I heard...
    yeah true. i'll ditto that! :dito:

ReputationRep:
    And, the people who forget to tick the box are probably a bit thick, or old. So, I declare shenanigans on the survey information.

ReputationRep:
    I ditto too!

(Original post by foxo)
    And, the people who forget to tick the box are probably a bit thick, or old. So, I declare shenanigans on the survey information.
    :rofl: good thinking batman!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Anyone can be forgived for taking todays attacks with a great deal more shock than those with which we see in Iraq. Its only human to feel emotionally closer to fellow countrymen, those killed not minutes from a place of work or those who share our way of life. Im no different. YET in stark contrast with those who condemn the attacks against innocent Iraqis and who are emotionally shaken by todays events, you draw little distinction in holding our national leaders guilty for the horrors that both involve. Whether Iraq or London, that is not irresponsible, but deeply offensive to all.
    It may be understandable why someone would feel more shocked by something that has happened on their own doorstep (if I had arrived 20/30 mins earlier for my tube this morning I may have been in the blast myself as I go through Kings X on the Piccadilly line), but at the same time its understandable why someone would view the atrocities that happen almost on a daily basis in Iraq as just as disturbing as those that happened in London. For those people its baffling as to why it is so abhorrent to start questioning why these terrible things have happened in London today, but not so to question why terrible things happen in Iraq every day.

However, feel free to tell everyone when it is OK to say what. You seem to be the expert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feeling good)
    I have mixed feelings about G8's decision to continue. On one hand it seems callous to continue discussions when something so terrible has just occured, as if nothing has happened.
    On the other hand world poverty has been a pressing concern for a number of years so I doubt they would stop at this stage.

All in all probably the right decision by Blair to come back to the country and at the same time let the others continue their work.
    To not go ahead with the G8 talks would show that the pathetic individuals who carried out the attacks had won. They wanted to cause major disruption, and if the G8 talks were massively interrupted as a result, they'd have achieved one of their aims.

On with the talks I say.

(Gosh, I'm feeling very defiant today.)

(Original post by spangletastic)
    To not go ahead with the G8 talks would show that the pathetic individuals who carried out the attacks had won. They wanted to cause major disruption, and if the G8 talks were massively interrupted as a result, they'd have achieved one of their aims.

On with the talks I say.

(Gosh, I'm feeling very defiant today.)
    do you think they will actually go on with it, or have just said that and "pretend" to continue with the talks, one has to wonder. i think they have just said they will carry, i highly doubt it will go ahead with out the current leader of the G8 (being Britain).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    It may be understandable why someone would feel more shocked by something that has happened on their own doorstep (if I had arrived 20/30 mins earlier for my tube this morning I may have been in the blast myself as I go through Kings X on the Piccadilly line), but at the same time its understandable why someone would view the atrocities that happen almost on a daily basis in Iraq as just as disturbing as those that happened in London. For those people its baffling as to why it is so abhorrent to start questioning why these terrible things have happened in London today, but not so to question why terrible things happen in Iraq every day.

However, feel free to tell everyone when it is OK to say what. You seem to be the expert.
    Just because people are grief stricken over today's incident in London, it doesn't mean that they are not also grief stricken when they get to the international section of their newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    do you think they will actually go on with it, or have just said that and "pretend" to continue with the talks, one has to wonder. i think they have just said they will carry, i highly doubt it will go ahead with out the current leader of the G8 (being Britain).
    I think they will continue as normal with a little more talk on terrorism. I bet Geldof is angry.

ReputationRep:
    Rumour has is that Tony's being flown back to Gleneagles tonight. It has also been said that the talks will carry on as normal tomorrow morning, with opening announcements on the environment and aid.

(Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I think they will continue as normal with a little more talk on terrorism. I bet Geldof is angry.
    i dont think they will continue at all to be honest, and yeah Geldof is most probably extremely pissed off, too right to be!!! Poor guy, done all this publicity for making poverty history but the terrorist go and ruin the g8 summit, in which the big issue on talk was poverty in africa.

ReputationRep:
    My friends went from kings cross to cambridge today for the open day but I've heard from them.

Still can't believe this has happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    Rumour has is that Tony's being flown back to Gleneagles tonight. It has also been said that the talks will carry on as normal tomorrow morning, with opening announcements on the envirnment and aid.
    Tony said that himself, it isn't a "rumour"

He said he "hopes to be back for this evening"

ooooh this big guy talking on bbc news (sorry i can't remember his name, the home secretary guy) has just said transport will be back to normal tomorrow. hope this helps some guys.

ReputationRep:
    ooooh this big guy talking on bbc news (sorry i can't remember his name, the home secretary guy) has just said transport will be back to normal tomorrow. hope this helps some guys.
    really...even in central london?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.