Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wont mention any names)
    THE WHOLE WORLD IS EXPLODING :rolleyes:

its probably nothing, people.
    seems so strange reading this now...

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Silverlink Metro is up and running so thats the best way out for people travelling towards East London and Essex. They've got sniffer dogs patrolling the trains and buses now as well...

ReputationRep:
    hardly nothing was it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Er - only that it's been on the BBC website since lunch time...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm
    sounds different on the German website though...

Hmm... but you're probably right, they most likely are talking about the same thing then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    sounds different on the German website though...

Hmm... but you're probably right, they most likely are talking about the same thing then...

They are.

Geheime Gruppe von El Kaidas Heiligem Krieg in Europa = the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organisation in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    just seen a war veteran on the news, and it reminded me how strong the british people are. we have been through 2 serious world wars, 1 of which was taken right to our doorstep and came out the other end ok. it really shows that in times of crisis, we can pull together to do what needs to be done, and not be deterred by horrific things that stand in our way. the emergency services in london today did a fantastic job, and i have total respect for them, aswell as members of the public who helped others despite serious injury.

whatever they throw at us, we wont ever back down and that makes me proud to be a brit

ReputationRep:
    Looking back at it now, it seems so surreal.

(Original post by Sam_B)
    we can pull together to do what needs to be done, and not be deterred by horrific things that stand in our way.
    Its what we do quite well actually, like after the east coast floods in 1953; people rally together well under pressure

ReputationRep:
    Today was really scary. I was a student mentor in this summer school going on in my uni-London School of Pharmacy. That happens to be slap bang in the middle of the Russel Square incident and the bus incdent. It was tough even getting to the uni. And until we got to uni, we didn't know about the bombs. There were major train delays, and one by one, all the lines started closing, with excuses such as signal failures and electrical surges. Me and my friend ended up at Baker Street, and walked to uni. The worst moment was when we went past the bus! We didn't know what was happening, but this woman told us that there had been a bomb on the bus, and there were bodies on the floor. We were totally in shock! (My lecturer saw the actual explosion though). I missed that incident by 10 minutes, and the Kings Cross incident by 10 minutes as well. It was scary that we could have been caught up in that, and that it was so close to the uni. I mean, everything rthat was happening 2 minutes away from my uni was on tv! Luckily, all the students who we were mentoring were accounted for, and it seems that they were all safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Luckily, all the students who we were mentoring were accounted for, and it seems that they were all safe.
    That's good. You're very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    It's horrible news.. even if the govt anticipated something happening to coincide with the G8 summit starting, there's not much they can do nowadays. It's also a shame that this stopped the happy return of Seb Coe's London 2012 team..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Today was really scary. Luckily, all the students who we were mentoring were accounted for, and it seems that they were all safe.
    Very glad you're alright.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should look on the bright side on how well it was dealt with. My brother was in one of the tube stations when the escalators stopped working and it was put down to a power surge. It occurs to me that this was said on purpose because no one panics because of a power surge, everyone just keeps going, heading out of the station like normal with rushing, panicking, crushing people etc. He had been involved in some of the practises that the emergency services had done in preperation for an attack like this and said it definatly helped today. Even on the news they were saying that by 2pm there was no disruption on the roads except in the immediate vicinty of the accidents, i.e. the rest of the citys network of roads was working like any other busdy day which again i believe is a magnificent testiment to the work that the emergency services have done today. Imagine the carange and mass panic had these incidents not been so well contained and dealth with. Applause for london services and the emergency action plan.

I'd als like to re-ittarate a point made on the television earlier today. This attack was pretty much inevitable. Theres no way it could havebeen avoided. these terrorists had no demands they wanted to make there was no-way anyone could negotiate with these people it was simply a matter of time. It would have been impossible to stop someone putting a bomb on a bus or a train. Do you really want to be searched everytime you step on a bus. we see how long it takes to get on a plane because of this kind off precedure. its simply unvfeasible to implement any sort of extra security to ensure it doesnt happen agaion except for MI5 to be extra vigilant in their search for terrorists and terroist actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The worst moment was when we went past the bus! We didn't know what was happening, but this woman told us that there had been a bomb on the bus, and there were bodies on the floor. We were totally in shock! (My lecturer saw the actual explosion though). I missed that incident by 10 minutes, and the Kings Cross incident by 10 minutes as well. It was scary that we could have been caught up in that, and that it was so close to the uni. I mean, everything rthat was happening 2 minutes away from my uni was on tv! Luckily, all the students who we were mentoring were accounted for, and it seems that they were all safe.
    I can't believe just how close to home it is, and I hardly ever go to London but especially through TSR I know all these people who were right there, I never realised just how many people go to and live in London. I could never imagine feeling so involved, yet I'm glad I am, we can stand together against such cowardly, extremist acts.

Xenon that sounds horrific, thank God you're ok, I hope you're not too traumatized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Xenon that sounds horrific, thank God you're ok, I hope you're not too traumatized.
    To be honest, I had a bit of a cry when I got to uni (our little safe haven). I guess that was due to shock. But I just thank god that I wasn't there at the time that happened, and send condolences to anyone who was affected by any of the events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    To be honest, I had a bit of a cry when I got to uni (our little safe haven). I guess that was due to shock. But I just thank god that I wasn't there at the time that happened, and send condolences to anyone who was affected by any of the events.
    Aaaawww hun, :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Today was really scary. I was a student mentor in this summer school going on in my uni-London School of Pharmacy. That happens to be slap bang in the middle of the Russel Square incident and the bus incdent. It was tough even getting to the uni. And until we got to uni, we didn't know about the bombs. There were major train delays, and one by one, all the lines started closing, with excuses such as signal failures and electrical surges. Me and my friend ended up at Baker Street, and walked to uni. The worst moment was when we went past the bus! We didn't know what was happening, but this woman told us that there had been a bomb on the bus, and there were bodies on the floor. We were totally in shock! (My lecturer saw the actual explosion though). I missed that incident by 10 minutes, and the Kings Cross incident by 10 minutes as well. It was scary that we could have been caught up in that, and that it was so close to the uni. I mean, everything rthat was happening 2 minutes away from my uni was on tv! Luckily, all the students who we were mentoring were accounted for, and it seems that they were all safe.
    I'm glad you are alright ...

ReputationRep:
    sorry I haven't read all 80 pages of this thread but just to say I hope you and you're families are all ok. I was flying back from spain today and we had a problem with a missing passengers bag which they couldn't find so I was bricking it for 3 hours back :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpliftMof0)
    I think we should look on the bright side on how well it was dealt with. My brother was in one of the tube stations when the escalators stopped working and it was put down to a power surge. It occurs to me that this was said on purpose because no one panics because of a power surge, everyone just keeps going, heading out of the station like normal with rushing, panicking, crushing people etc. He had been involved in some of the practises that the emergency services had done in preperation for an attack like this and said it definatly helped today. Even on the news they were saying that by 2pm there was no disruption on the roads except in the immediate vicinty of the accidents, i.e. the rest of the citys network of roads was working like any other busdy day which again i believe is a magnificent testiment to the work that the emergency services have done today. Imagine the carange and mass panic had these incidents not been so well contained and dealth with. Applause for london services and the emergency action plan.

I'd als like to re-ittarate a point made on the television earlier today. This attack was pretty much inevitable. Theres no way it could havebeen avoided. these terrorists had no demands they wanted to make there was no-way anyone could negotiate with these people it was simply a matter of time. It would have been impossible to stop someone putting a bomb on a bus or a train. Do you really want to be searched everytime you step on a bus. we see how long it takes to get on a plane because of this kind off precedure. its simply unvfeasible to implement any sort of extra security to ensure it doesnt happen agaion except for MI5 to be extra vigilant in their search for terrorists and terroist actions.
    Idd unfortunatley there is pratically no way to stop these attacks but at the end of the day terrorists are cowards who havent got the balls to attack something that can fight back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    yeah ran out of German v. almost crying, thinking "sh*t my dads on a tube dead somewhere".
    Then when we were listening to it on the radio at lunch i so almost did because a couple of people were kind of laughing, but I don't like crying in public, I always think it's attention seeking. Terrible, it sounded like a twisted film gone wrong.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.