Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quote from a website i have great respect for

London…

Our thoughts are with anyone caught up, directly or indirectly, in the terrorist atrocities carried out in London this morning. May I take a moment to convey my condolences to all the victims, their families and friends.

As for the spineless, brainless, callous, pathetic, cold hearted perpetrators of these acts of gross indecency against humankind no words printable here can describe my disgust towards their actions allegedly carried out in the name of a supposedly peace embracing religion. *******s.

ReputationRep:
    It all felt so surreal, exactly like seeing fictional news reports in films and things...
    Isn't it interesting that German doesn't have a proper word for 'jihad'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    It all felt so surreal, exactly like seeing fictional news reports in films and things...
    Isn't it interesting that German doesn't have a proper word for 'jihad'?
    I believe the German for Jihad is 'Heiliger Krieg'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody1)
    Idd unfortunatley there is pratically no way to stop these attacks but at the end of the day terrorists are cowards who havent got the balls to attack something that can fight back.
    thats what I was sorting implying as part of my post. It wasnt intentional but i guess I was also saying that there isnt mcuh the government can do in terms of strengthening security so in that sense mthat comment was aimed at those who mgiht be accusing this of being the governments fault. But yea, you basically backed up what I said.

I'd like to focus more thoguh on the job well done by the emergency services (god it sounds like i have an obsession lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    I believe the German for Jihad is 'Heiliger Krieg'.
    I sort of imagined they'd say 'Jihad' (or something...), rather than just 'holy war'. Don't the French use 'jihad'?

ReputationRep:
    I sort of imagined they'd say 'Jihad' (or something...), rather than just 'holy war'. Don't the French use 'jihad'?
    yes, french use Jihad but there's a much closer link to the muslim world in France what with colonies in north africa etc.

MB

ReputationRep:
    my sister gets that exact train to liverpool street station at that exact time on her way to work every single day. luckily she had a conference to go to in scotland in the morning. some **** eh...

ReputationRep:
    What about the German-Turkish links? Ok, it's not quite as close as the whole maghreb thing, but they're still there. And we say jihad in English...it just surprised me a bit. I miss my German lessons.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/07/317160.html

"What the **** do you think you're doing? This is London. We've dealt with your sort before. You don't try and pull this on us. Do you have any idea how many times our city has been attacked? Whatever you're trying to do, it's not going to work.

All you've done is end some of our lives, and ruin some more. How is that going to help you? You don't get rewarded for this kind of crap. And if, as your MO indicates, you're an al-Qaeda group, then you're out of your tiny minds. Because if this is a message to Tony Blair, we've got news for you. We don't much like our government ourselves, or what they do in our name. But, listen very clearly. We'll deal with that ourselves. We're London, and we've got our own way of doing things, and it doesn't involve tossing bombs around where innocent people are going about their lives. And that's because we're better than you. Everyone is better than you.

Our city works. We rather like it. And we're going to go about our lives. We're going to take care of the lives you ruined. And then we're going to work. And we're going down the pub. So you can pack up your bombs, put them in your ********s, and get the **** out of our city."

ReputationRep:
    What about the German-Turkish links? Ok, it's not quite as close as the whole maghreb thing, but they're still there. And we say jihad in English...it just surprised me a bit. I miss my German lessons.
    its not very nice when you're being told about the london blasts in German, and then realise you have a relative there, then have to go out ring people, then come back and asked what they said in German and then went out again and asked again. Grr can't we just speak English, for once?

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :toofunny:

Awesome! This is exactly why no one can ever ruin our country with terrorism. Britain rocks!

ReputationRep:
    I find it easier to cope with things if I have to speak in foreign, it stops me panicking.

ReputationRep:
    Love it
    "We're goin down the pub"

ReputationRep:
    You know, that's not a million miles away from Ken Livingstone's statement...

ReputationRep:
    oh boy, i just dont understand why people believe violence is gonna get em sumthing.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, very amusing. It's said that in WW2 after a house had been bombed, a woman came running up the street and shouted, "You *******s! I haven't even finished paying for that house yet!"
    Just goes to show, we still have fighting spirit

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha. brilliant! *saluts Andrew Sullivan*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah7)
    You know, that's not a million miles away from Ken Livingstone's statement...
    Speaking of which, what happened to Red Ken? He sounded just like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    ok first have a look at google.co.uk and second whad do u think they will call this day in years to come eg, 9/11 could it be 7/7 any idears

ReputationRep:
    Well, I guess Jihad may be seeping into the language now, but it's not really like common or anything, the only time they really use it in Germany is on some news programmes sometimes, but they always translate it when they do as far as I remember...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.