The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's when you least expect a bomb that you're most at risk, as the attacks in Madrid and London show, not the day after the bombing... in theory anyway.

The security will be so heightened that terrorists aren't going to bother taking the risk.

Well, here goes nothing... I've got to take the tube. Wish me luck.
Reply 1641
Nima
It's the truth you just fail to accept it.

Thats a proven argument thats stood the test of time.

But provoking the attacks only makes it more likely and of more severity.

So terrorists blow themselves up more severely? If we hadnt gone into Iraq they would have been 'nice' explosions?

The quotes of "when not if" are as a result of constant UK/US provocation in the middle east. If none of the mass Afghan killings/Iraq took place then there would be a much elsser reason to suspect any such terrorist bombings in the future. What goes around comes around; obviously the speculators acknowledged this also.

There have been threats on almost every major Western nation. Russia and France notable examples. 9/11 was before Iraq. People who believe that Iraq is the reason for yesterdays attacks are confronted by other such facts: The West has been threatened by Al-Qaeda consistently, before and after 9/11 and Iraq. Al-Qaeda is fighting against Iraqis, blowing them up, because they oppose democracy. The UK government has tightened scrutiny against extremist groups for the last year or so. Al-Qaeda declare their goal to be the destruction of all infidels and the creation of an Islamic nation. This isnt political grievance, these people hate democracy and want to wipe it out!

They arent completely stupid and they realise that to shake Western governments they need to acquire the voice of the 'moderates'. So they tell us these attacks are because of the bad things our government did, they tell us its because of Iraq. They do this to attract people such as yourself, who are frankly so short sighted that you cannot see that if we hadnt gone into Iraq they would find something else and then something else and after that more demands, and on and on. And everytime people like yourself keep backing away and appeasing, they are winning.

Here again, you suggest yesterdays attacks were deserved, id like to you clarify for the Britons and Londoners on this forum that you dont believe that these attacks were deserved.

Yes sometimes it is but it seems to go a bit too far, fair enough if you were about to go on the train but last min decided against it then bang the bomb went off, but the "if i was a year younger and going to a cam open day" style reflections are a bit ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I think your idea that these people will go away if we do what they want is ridiculous but each to their own.

It's the doing of the UK, US

The UK and the US are partly responsible for the 50+ dead?

As I said, it's the population that are electing Blair and Bush time after time and thus the cycle of invading middle eastern countries and getting revenge through big city attacks. Arguably there is the argument that Blair is the better prime minister in terms of helping the UK economy, I'm not blind to this fact; I guess it's about where we place our priorities as a population.

What happens if the Conservatives had been elected or the Lib Dems and we hadnt gone to war? Do you think they wouldnt threaten us? When do you stop doing what the terrorists ask?
the worst feeling is not knowing where your loved ones are, whether they are dead or alive. :frown:
As everybody with a brain has said, we should stand united and firm. I cannot believe how easily people throw the blame around, the forensics have provided no evidence yet, i think we should at least wait until we know what kind of attack this was.
Beekeeper
throw the blame around, the forensics have provided no evidence yet, i think we should at least wait until we know what kind of attack this was.

i agree. the media are speculating this so much, and is likely to cause more disruption than the truth perhaps? :frown:
Vienna
50+ :eek:

Does anyone know the actual count at the moment?? :frown:
Reply 1646
My best friend is in the army (based at cattrick-sorry cant think of correct spelling) and the whole of his base left for London this morning. He said they will be there for at least two weeks.
Vienna
Thats a proven argument thats stood the test of time.

So terrorists blow themselves up more severely? If we hadnt gone into Iraq they would have been 'nice' explosions?

There have been threats on almost every major Western nation. Russia and France notable examples. 9/11 was before Iraq. People who believe that Iraq is the reason for yesterdays attacks are confronted by other such facts: The West has been threatened by Al-Qaeda consistently, before and after 9/11 and Iraq. Al-Qaeda is fighting against Iraqis, blowing them up, because they oppose democracy. The UK government has tightened scrutiny against extremist groups for the last year or so. Al-Qaeda declare their goal to be the destruction of all infidels and the creation of an Islamic nation. This isnt political grievance, these people hate democracy and want to wipe it out!

They arent completely stupid and they realise that to shake Western governments they need to acquire the voice of the 'moderates'. So they tell us these attacks are because of the bad things our government did, they tell us its because of Iraq. They do this to attract people such as yourself, who are frankly so short sighted that you cannot see that if we hadnt gone into Iraq they would find something else and then something else and after that more demands, and on and on. And everytime people like yourself keep backing away and appeasing, they are winning.

Here again, you suggest yesterdays attacks were deserved, id like to you clarify for the Britons and Londoners on this forum that you dont believe that these attacks were deserved.

I think your idea that these people will go away if we do what they want is ridiculous but each to their own.

What happens if the Conservatives had been elected or the Lib Dems and we hadnt gone to war? Do you think they wouldnt threaten us? When do you stop doing what the terrorists ask?

France has received threats but the rumours yesterday were that Italy and Denmark were next in line.
Indeed, it's got nothing to do with going to war with a Muslim country. We're at war as soon as we live in a secular democracy and lead our "sinful", non-islamic lives. To think that it's just about the war in Iraq is assuming that islamic terrorists actually think in a rational way. They don't.

I was a bit surprised when the BBC showed an Iraqi dentist right after the bombing. His speech was something along the lines "So what? I don't care? Hundreds of innocent civilians die in Iraq every month".
SW
50+ :eek:

Does anyone know the actual count at the moment?? :frown:

50+ is what's been confirmed atm.
Reply 1649
SamTheMan

I was a bit surprised when the BBC showed an Iraqi dentist right after the bombing. His speech was something along the lines "So what? I don't care? Hundreds of innocent civilians die in Iraq every month".

Harsh, but so true. We don't know anyone in Iraq, but every week he needs to phone up and check his family are OK after an attack. We'll probably only have to do it once or twice in our lifetimes (touchwood).
Nima
Well you lay your life in their hands; they're human and in the day after several bombings and still suspected packages being found, its risky.

Suspect packages are always found. Most people just don't report them. Now people are more aware of the need to report them.
The official numbers of suspect packages, and therefore station closures, might be up, but i reckon there are as many as any other day..
What does 'they're human' mean anyway? My life isn't in their hands. Nothing will happen today, especially with the increased security.

Nima

They should follow it for today because suspected packages are still being found and they're still searching and common sense tells you to let things cool down a bit before using public transport in london.

The only reason people should follow the advice is to avoid disruption of the clear up operation and investigations. The major stations in London are searched every fifteen minutes, this happened even before the bombings yesterday.

Nima

Maybe for you, but the majority agree with me and that's why most have avoided using these lines and services; at such an early stage you can't (near) guarantee safety in London.

People are avoiding the lines because a lot of businesses are letting them work from home, and because of the offical request to stay away. Not because it's unsafe, but because rush hour commuters would get in the way... The test of whether people follow mine or your thoughts on public safety will be morning rush hour on Monday.
You can never guarantee near safety in London...

Every station has been searched thoroughly, and is being regularly searched thoroughly. If the station is open, it's as safe as it's ever going to be.
Reply 1651
Chardonnay
50+ is what's been confirmed atm.

It is, in realisty, much higher than that - 'fact' from medic friends at The Royal London.

GIVE BLOOD!
http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/search.asp
Fluffy
It is, in realisty, much higher than that - 'fact' from medic friends at The Royal London.

GIVE BLOOD!
http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/search.asp

Yeah, the number will no doubt keep rising. I'm giving blood later today!
Kavanne
Harsh, but so true. We don't know anyone in Iraq, but every week he needs to phone up and check his family are OK after an attack. We'll probably only have to do it once or twice in our lifetimes (touchwood).

It kind of bothered that he was talking as if those people got their just deserves.
What we have to remember is that for any forces in Iraq, no matter how much they shouldn't be there, their aim is always to AVOID civilian casualties. Unlike the terrorists, their first aim is not to kill as many civilians as possible. But it's all "eye for an eye" for these guys...
Reply 1654
Teh death toll keeps on rising! - its at least 50 now, and they havn't been able to reach a carriage on one of the stations:frown:. But they said its very unlikely to go over 100, which is a relief. Hope they catch the bastards who did this and infiltrate their terror network and destroy it from within...that would make my day!

pk
Reply 1655
Kavanne
I was on my own, and I am only little. I kept feeling like crying but then I thought 'WTF Talya? You aren't even hurt or weren't even there, so shut up'. Apparently some kids at my course at ULSOP saw the bus explode, is that true, Zainab?

I'll go now :smile:

I saw the aftermath of the bus explosion, with the top blown off. Dr Munday actually saw the bus explode. I don't know how he carried on with the day, because I only saw the aftermath and I was shocked into crying.
Reply 1656
You know what, although I was shocked at the devastation of yesterday, I thought how much worse it was for those in Iraq and other places where they are afraid of being bombed every day. It was horrific here, but it must be 100 times worse over there. This doesn't mean that either of the things happening is right.
Reply 1657
Xenon
You know what, although I was shocked at the devastation of yesterday, I thought how much worse it was for those in Iraq and other places where they are afraid of being bombed every day. It was horrific here, but it must be 100 times worse over there. This doesn't mean that either of the things happening is right.

I totally agree with that. We are only experiencing here 1 hundredth of what they experience there.

I think it was disgruntled French people though :wink: (trying to inject humour...not working....)
Reply 1658
Kavanne
I totally agree with that. We are only experiencing here 1 hundredth of what they experience there.

I think it was disgruntled French people though :wink: (trying to inject humour...not working....)

you've got a sick sense of humour!
Reply 1659
Phil23
you've got a sick sense of humour!

You know you like it :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending