Turn on thread page Beta

ear piercing-safe or not? watch

ReputationRep:
    As long as its done by a professional then you should be fine...

ReputationRep:
    cool cool. I shall not be picking.

Just wondering (although i have no plans to....) how would one remove the earing? it has a ball type thing in the middle, hard to describe, see here

https://www.blackstar.ca/graphics/Pi...ix-forward.jpg

Thats not me (its a girl for a start) but mine is similar although further round the helix towards the back of my head.

I dont really want to start playing about with it too much right now - might make it bleed or something.. So how does one remove that kind of earing? does the ball thing unscrew? and how long before i can take it out - like 6months? the guy in the studio didnt say.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Any cartilege piercing takes a long time to heal. So you shouldn't change it for a few months, but I don't know much about ears so I can't really say. Try looking here.

The ball has 2 little dimples each side, and the ring has pointed ends that sit in those dimples. To remove it, you need to get some plyers and use them to open the ring out slightly. The ball should then drop out. You'd be best doing this over a towel of a colour where the ball will show up easily. And you might want some help the first time.

Getting it back in is very tricky. You need to use the plyers to stretch the ring, and put the ball back in so the pointed edges of the ring sit in the dimples. Again, towel and a friend. Or your piercer should be willing to change your jewellery, although they may charge a nomial fee.

ReputationRep:
    today my whole ear as been quite sore. feels like one big bruise, this might be because I had it bent over to clean up the back of the hole last night... or is it all part of the healing process?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some soreness is inevitable, because you've now got a wound for your body to heal. Make sure you leave it alone except when you clean it, and even then move/touch it as little as possible.

And be careful when you sleep, when you comb your hair, and if you wear glasses/sunglasses, as that can irritate it.

ReputationRep:
    i work at claires ear piercing specialsists *cough*
    anywho cartilage piercings u must leave your original earring/hoop in for 12 weeks, and it is recommended that you stick to studs/ hoops made of proper silver/gold not something dangly or cheap ie some of the stuff you find in claires for at least a year, due to the sensitivity of the area.
    as for ear cleaning solution you can go to any claires and get a decent sized bottle for 4 pounds.
    lobe piercings u leave the earring in for 6 weeks, u should also be provided with 2 different backs one that it was pierced with big fat butterflies that make sure the earring stays on the for the amount of time needed, after the 6 weeks u can change the butterfly back to the smaler ones made generally from the type of gold/silver that the post is made of.
    err i think that was all.
    and no this is not some big fat plug for claires, i can't stand the place and am quitting in two weeks but due to crap pay rather than anything to do with its ear piercing.

im getting my 9th ear piercing in claires next week-huzzah!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, do not go to Claire's for cartilege piercing. And do not buy their crappy solution either.

ReputationRep:
    I work at claire's too.

I wouldn't let them touch my cartilege with a barge pole. And definitely not an ear piercing gun.

But lobe, yeah, why not. I'd watch the person who'd be piercing me first though... Needles are better for you than guns, but for lobes, they're adequate. Like how a meal at a restaurant is better than a sandwich, but both'll get rid of your hunger with no adverse effects (with regards to ear piercing: if you look after it properly. so bad analogy.)

Yeah, I hate how when I mention that I work at Claire's on the interweb, the 14 year old wannabe hardcore body mod experts rehash an entire webpage at me and the same old OMG you work at CLAIRE's??? They pierce with GUNS! They're EVIL!!!111 How can you work there!!!11

It's flipping annoying.

Mind you, I've heard (from a work colleague that spoke to a managertype) that Claire's will pierce noses from some point next year. With guns. Assuming I'm still there at that point, I will quite simply refuse. Everything about that suggestion is so wrong that it's almost funny.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 extra ear piercings on the bottom half of my ear with a needle, (the four one was on cartilidge) at one of those hardcore tatoo piercing shops, lol. I had to had to you a bar at first , which my mum found hideous, but i thort looked ok.
    Anyway I did get a little infection, but that was jus I think my ears are sensitive, went to the doc and fixed me up with the 'eye jelly stuff, that could be used for the ear' and it totally cleared up in like 2 days.
    Basically go for it, but go to where they use a needle, even if it is more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want your ears pierced anyway? It's not particularly attractive or anything...
    Nevertheless, I suppose it's better to pierce your ears than other parts of your body - people who pierce themselves all over scare the life out of me!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.