Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anyone come across this??

its a logic game

its really addictive!! lol

i can only do the easy ones, can anyone do the medium or hard ones????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig)

its a logic game

Although I prefer to indulge in other puzzly things like scrabble and chess, I find the Su Doku quite easy, because to me it's simple reductive logic. The thing that throws some people is that because the rules say you can have only 1-9 once in each row etc, then people jump to the conclusion that the diagonals are the same which isn't the case. I don't play it but if I did I'm confident I'd be very good. I've played other logic puzzles like Frustration (this is a 9 colour 5-string code version of mastermind) and solved it. I don't mean to be boasting here btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedwig)

its a logic game

You have to develop some slightly more complex strategies for the harder ones, once you've eliminated the easy stuff, like

pencil in the two possible values in a cell, then do all the "two value" cells like this, then loop round doing a "what if this one is a 3?" procedure.

For any row, column, or block of 9, check if there's only 1 cell where a particular value will go...

There must be a website with all this on!

[goes off to look]

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)

There must be a website with all this on!

[goes off to look]

Aitch
    Loads!

This one looks ok:

http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/sudokus/sudokustrategy.php

just put sudoku+strategies into Google.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Regularly do medium ones, have only completed one hard one (it took ages).

Ian

ReputationRep:
    ive got a link for a daily sudoku puzzle but i want to get a huge book of them now

http://www.fingertime.com/sudoku.php - link

damn further maths and that quiz style lesson

ReputationRep:
    Yeh your right they're quite addictive. Most newpapers have 2 or 3 each day. BTW have you tried looking on http://sudoku.com? It gives solutions and a months free trial for a computerised sudoku game. Yes it really is addictive (going off to play)

ReputationRep:
    I've done a few of the harder ones, as well as the one's with 4 3x3 grids on. When you get used to the method, it gets easier and easier to do them...

ReputationRep:
    i can't do it yet - but then again i've not had the time to sit down and practise!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can do all of the ones in the Times easily enough

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I do love a bit of Su Doku. I normally do the Difficult ones in the Times. I've got one of the books! I did do a Fiendish in the paper the other day though; I was so proud that I cut it out and kept it! :proud:

ReputationRep:
    The first one I did was a fiendish. I can just do em theres not one in the times that I've not managed to do yet. its very odd cos I'm usually crap at logic puzzles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    The first one I did was a fiendish. I can just do em theres not one in the times that I've not managed to do yet. its very odd cos I'm usually crap at logic puzzles.
    Yea the first one I did was a Fiendish.. but I didn't finish it, just messed it superbly. That's why I was so proud of having completed one!

ReputationRep:
    I love the Sudoku puzzles, though find the really hard ones a bit tough to do. I get the different books, though don't know which one's the best. Though there is one with about 90 or 100 puzzles for £1.90

ReputationRep:
    To fascinate you all with an update, I started doing the ones in the Sun (pity my parents lol) yesterday, and it takes me roughly 20mins to do the harder ones. It's something to do at least!

ReputationRep:
    I love the samurai sudokus in the times on saturday, does anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I love this game- 2 days ago my maths teacher got us hooked on it. I managed to do the easy and medium level, but the hard ones are just out of my league! Our whole class was playing it, and I got to admit, my teacher was sooooo good at it!

ReputationRep:
    ive bort a book for this puxle and im working throw it at the moment i cant put it down

ReputationRep:
    hahah i love sudoku. i think i once did a hard level, but i havent done any for ages.

My first sudoku was in The Times or Independent, it was like this:

[3][2][1]
    [2][1][3]
    [1][3][ ]

They gave a clue - it's not 3 and it's not 2.
    (they were talking about the proliferation of sudoku in newspapers, and this was The Sun's version!!!! :toofunny: :toofunny: !!)

ReputationRep:
    ...with elimination grid and a worked example at http://www.urbanrim.org.uk/sudoku.htm

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.