Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Further Maths, have you included (or will you include) both FP2 and FP3, or just one of them?

Aitch

[I'd also be interested to know if anyone has done FP3 without doing FP2 first, and how they got on.]

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have to take both for a full A-level? At least that's what i read on Edexcel's specification.
    so FP1,2,3. then 3 applied units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenratio)
    Do you not have to take both for a full A-level? At least that's what i read on Edexcel's specification.
    so FP1,2,3. then 3 applied units.
    From the spec:

9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics

Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding C1—C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications units (excluding C1—C4) to make a total of six units. Candidates who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit results from 12 different teaching modules.

from:http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...cification.pdf

[page 16]

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    need P4 and P5, which are sumpolsory...and at least 3 A2 applied mods and can have 1 AS maths mod.

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    If you're doing Further Maths, have you included (or will you include) both FP2 and FP3, or just one of them?

Aitch

[I'd also be interested to know if anyone has done FP3 without doing FP2 first, and how they got on.]
    I did P5 before P6 (i.e. FP2 before FP3 - I think I'm right in saying that they've not altered any content in the changes from P4-6 to FP1-3), and can say that they barely have any connection.

FP2: Hyperbolic Functions (sinh, cosh, tanh etc.); differentiation; integration; co-ordinate geometry (namely conic section e.g. Hyperbola, parabola, ellipse)

FP3: Series, complex numbers, matrices, vectors, approximating solutions to unsolvable differential equations, proof by induction.

There could be minor links from FP2 to FP3, but you won't need specific knowledge of FP2 to be abe to do FP3. For example, you may have to use the series expansion of sinhx or coshx in a question, but the topic doesn't generally require it.

If I were you, I'd do both. It's best to do all the pure maths you can, because it will help in applied modules. For example, if you can do the integration in FP2, you'll find the integration in M3 or C4 and absolute doddle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSPals)
    I did P5 before P6 (i.e. FP2 before FP3 - I think I'm right in saying that they've not altered any content in the changes from P4-6 to FP1-3), and can say that they barely have any connection.

FP2: Hyperbolic Functions (sinh, cosh, tanh etc.); differentiation; integration; co-ordinate geometry (namely conic section e.g. Hyperbola, parabola, ellipse)

FP3: Series, complex numbers, matrices, vectors, approximating solutions to unsolvable differential equations, proof by induction.

There could be minor links from FP2 to FP3, but you won't need specific knowledge of FP2 to be abe to do FP3. For example, you may have to use the series expansion of sinhx or coshx in a question, but the topic doesn't generally require it.

If I were you, I'd do both. It's best to do all the pure maths you can, because it will help in applied modules. For example, if you can do the integration in FP2, you'll find the integration in M3 or C4 and absolute doddle.
    I'm just starting P6, which clearly requires some knowledge of hyperbolic functions (see Ex 1A Q 11 for example) I'm wondering how anyone who has opted not to do P5 copes with this, and how Edexcel expects them to.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    I will be doing all the FP modules next year for my full A-level in further mathmatics.
    My teacher says that u dont have to do both though.
    For the further maths u only need 6 advanced modules preferable at least 2 of the FP modules.

Like normal maths u do C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and M1.

For a further maths A-level u can do any 6 from the following:
    S2, S3, S4
    M2, M3, M4, M5
    D1, D2
    FP1, FP2, FP3

I do remember him saying u have to do FP1 and u can do either FP2 or FP3.
    So u can do FP3 instead of doing FP2 but u must choose 4 other advanced modules.

ReputationRep:
    for ocr mei for my A2 i have to do FP2 and will probs do M2 and S2 with it.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP3, FP4, M1, M2 for AQA next year for Further Maths.

Did C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,D1 this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    I think I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP3, FP4, M1, M2 for AQA next year for Further Maths.

Did C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,D1 this year.
    FP4 :eek:

WOOHHH!!!
    An FP4 module
    My god.....
    that must be something etraordinary...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)

Aitch

Well i'd prefer FP2. You can do FP3 without doing FP2. You could say its an advantage because Fp3 is very similar to FP1 (similar topics e.g. difrential equations and complex numbers) wheras FP2 is quiet diffrent to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku999)
    FP4 :eek:

WOOHHH!!!
    An FP4 module
    My god.....
    that must be something etraordinary...
    Well... since there are now 4 modules in the Pure hierarchy before P4/FP1, FP3 should really have been renamed P7, and FP2 P6, and FP1 P5. So the final module should be P7, which is what FP4 would be if you referred it back to the old system. Mmm. :rolleyes:

Aitch

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 7, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.