Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There have been at least six explosions across the capital this morning. The underground and buses have been the targets.

These cowardly attacks will only strenghten the resolve of those who believe in the values of freedom.

I would like to pay tribute to the emergency services who are working under difficult circumstances to help those in need.

Let us offer our sympathy to the victims of todays terrible attacks and hope that justice will be done.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't put it better myself

ReputationRep:
    I think the rhetoric along the lines of "Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country" is somewhat missing the point.

We're fully aware that attacks like this aren't suddenly going to result in a completely totalitarian state, but people are still going to die from them when they happen.

Something has to change.

ReputationRep:
    Well said

I dnt think any of us can imagine whats happening ther at the moment and how devastated ppl must be at the loss of family and friends but trullly our thoughts are with them on this awful day.

ReputationRep:
    All our thoughts are with the dead and their families. Let's hope this serves as evidence for violence breeds violence.

Have just come home from the hospital and its going nuts there. if the people who think of doing this would just look at what happens first hand they wouldn't think that they could do this in the name of god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I think the rhetoric along the lines of "Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country" is somewhat missing the point.
    Well, if their aim is to destroy what we hold dear in this country, then our response should be "they will never succeed".

ReputationRep:
    Well said, John82. We need to stand up to these terrorists for our values and traditions which they want to destroy. We shall make clear that they shall never succeed, and their attacks merely makes our determination stronger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Have just come home from the hospital and its going nuts there. if the people who think of doing this would just look at what happens first hand they wouldn't think that they could do this in the name of god.

Killing innocent ppl is never justified even in the name of God....ppl who think they can do tht are just so wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    To be fair, they do it because it's "right" just as we go to war and for the most part putting our ideologies above the value of human life.

ReputationRep:

We're fully aware that attacks like this aren't suddenly going to result in a completely totalitarian state, but people are still going to die from them when they happen.

Something has to change.
    Totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they would thgink they can do this in god's name. Compared with god's glory, what are a few dozen people? Either they were true believers and will go to heaven or they were infidel and will go to hell, and a few years less on earth doesn't much matter for either. Nor is it a matter of cowardice. We are dealing with intelligent people who are as ruthless with themselves as with everyone else and it is foolish to underestimate their brutality or their courage.

In general, keep a sense of proportion: whoever did this can probably manage to do something like it every few years. Not many of us are killed or injured over time. It is a matter of who can outlast the other. They will run out of fanatics before we run out of nonfanatics unless we cretae more fanatics.

Above all, remain calm. There is no point in introducing laws which allow anyone who looks or sounds vaguely suspicious to be locked up. What's the good of fighting totalitarianism by becoming totalitarian? If- and it looks likely- if it is the act of radical muslims- the most important people in the fight against them are ordinary muslims. They are the ones who can best find and reveal the dangerous lunatics. Ignore the idiots who are likely to want to start religious wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Well it's not a mistake they make twice, but I agree - I don't see how they can do this to get closer to god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Unfortunately they would. Compared with god's glory, what are a few dozen people? Either they were true believers and will go to heaven or they were infidel and will go to hell, and a few years less on earth doesn't much matter for either. Nor is it a matter of cowardice. We are dealing with intelligent people who are as ruthless with themselves as with everyone else and it is foolish to underestimate their brutality or their courage.

In general, keep a sense of proportion: whoever did this can probably manage to do something like it every few years. Not many of us are killed or injured over time. It is a matter of who can outlast the other. They will run out of fanatics before we run out of nonfanatics unless we cretae more fanatics.

Above all, remain calm. There is no point in introducing laws which allow anyone who looks or sounds vaguely suspicious to be locked up. What's the good of fighting totalitarianism by becoming totalitarian? If- and it looks likely- if it is the act of radical muslims- the most important people in the fight against them are ordinary muslims. They are the ones who can best find and reveal the dangerous lunatics. Ignore the idiots who are likely to want to start religious wars.

For once...i actually kind of agree with you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    Well, if their aim is to destroy what we hold dear in this country, then our response should be "they will never succeed".
    But that's almost conceding that these things like this are OK provided we don't change our way of life because of them. They aren't. People are still dying in them.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what impact this has on the Olympic bid..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I doubt it will have any.

(Original post by HearTheThunder)
    none, we have already won the olymipcs bid.
    if anything it'll strengthen it, becuse we will make permanent security increases after this, not half baked measures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    I doubt it will have any.
    Our public transports just come under major attack - I think it's gonna scare some people off

ReputationRep:
    But that's almost conceding that these things like this are OK provided we don't change our way of life because of them. They aren't. People are still dying in them.
    There have been immense efforts over the last few years to prevent such attacks, but now they have occurred we must stand united against this enemy to our way of life.

Acts like this can never be ok, but if we allow them to make a difference to our way of life or our political decisions, we will only encourage further acts of terror.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.