Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do not rule out that this could be an attack from a competing country for the Olympics, though that is rather rare the reason I believe.

This most likely to be linked with terrorists trying to get Britain out of Iraq like Spain.

(Original post by Dexnell)
    Do not rule out that this could be an attack from a competing country for the Olympics, though that is rather rare the reason I believe.

This most likely to be linked with terrorists trying to get Britain out of Iraq like Spain.
    the ioc will not reverse its decision.
    tyhe idea that people from france, russia, USA, spain (madrid and NY of all places) etc would bomb a city because of the olympics is so ridiculous it doesn't bear mentioning

(Original post by Weejimmie)
    Well I was near Edgware Road, but i'm still much more worried about motorists than terrorists.
    indeed -i think lots of people are thinking about taking to cycling instead of public transport, but you're much more likely to get knocked over and killed off your bike than terrorist attack death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    the ioc will not reverse its decision.
    tyhe idea that people from france, russia, USA, spain (madrid and NY of all places) etc would bomb a city because of the olympics is so ridiculous it doesn't bear mentioning
    exactly. loose that idea now.
    surely the attacks were attention-seeking, wouldn't it be helpful to know what to :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Al-Qaeda can't create a global Caliphate if some non-Muslims are still live, can it?
    Yes. People of the book, as long as they accept muslim rule and pay jizyah and accept certain other restrictions will be tolerated. It is assumed that eventually the and their descendants will see th light and become muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Yes. People of the book, as long as they accept muslim rule and pay jizyah and accept certain other restrictions will be tolerated. It is assumed that eventually the and their descendants will see th light and become muslims.
    Not if these people oppose the rule of the Caliph.

I think this happening today will certainly knock confidence in London being able to handle the security implications of hosting the Olympics.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody think that there is a jihad (holy war) waiting to happen?

ReputationRep:
    whats to say that beijing will be able to handle the security implications in 2008?? it's a mountain of a task for any country and this has at least pointed out weaknesses in the capitals defence against terrorist attacks that it can address before the olympics. remember it is another 7 years yet before we host them - security will have changed drastically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepooos)
    Aren't there like 5 already happening?

ReputationRep:
    The difference between Beijing and London is that the ruthless and murderous *******s are the government in Beijing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepooos)
    i dont know. there might be a jihad against another country or a way of life but i doubt there will be a war between 2 religions on a large scale. most people i know, although this is a very narrow view, would rather support nationalism and fight for country than fight a holy war, that most don't believe in

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that holy war happening already.

I know that is a real far fetched idea, but it didn't have to be the country per se it could a group in a specific nation that didn't to do this. I'm just spilling out all the possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I think this happening today will certainly knock confidence in London being able to handle the security implications of hosting the Olympics.
    It will not at all since for any event there will always be heightened security and so, although these attacks were able to be carried out now, doesn;t mean that such a thing will be able to happen with the security that will come with the olympics.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that holy war happening already.

I know that is a real far fetched idea, but it didn't have to be the country per se it could a group in a specific nation that didn't to do this. I'm just spilling out all the possibilities.
    Only the terrorists think its a holy war, no one else.

ReputationRep:
    i know that gleneagles and london are quite a distance apart but the leaders at the g8 summit have faith in british security as the summit wasn't cancelled. obviously we're doing sumthing right. it was just a surprise. they can't be expected to spot everything. after all how many times do you get on a bus with a bag. u can't stop and search everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyMorrissey)
    whats to say that beijing will be able to handle the security implications in 2008?? it's a mountain of a task for any country and this has at least pointed out weaknesses in the capitals defence against terrorist attacks that it can address before the olympics. remember it is another 7 years yet before we host them - security will have changed drastically
    There is no system in place throughout the world which can prevent terrorist attacks, all we can do is minimise the risks and rely on our intelligence services for information. There are no implications for 2012 and apart from searching all commuters before travelling we are unable to do anything else which would've physically prevented these attacks. Intelligence is the key, but even MI5/6 can't monitor everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    There is no system in place throughout the world which can prevent terrorist attacks, all we can do is minimise the risks and rely on our intelligence services for information. There are no implications for 2012 and apart from searching all commuters before travelling we are unable to do anything else which would've physically prevented these attacks. Intelligence is the key, but even MI5/6 can't monitor everything.
    Are there systems in place in some parts of the world [ours] which make malcontents and terrorism more likely? Are there systems and polite conventions in place which make it impossible to stop the inflow of even more antagonistic haters of the West?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent p......?)
    Only the terrorists think its a holy war, no one else.
    Just keep it that way. The bigots believe they are fighting a religious war. If they get everyone else to agree with them they've won a major battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyMorrissey)
    i know that gleneagles and london are quite a distance apart but the leaders at the g8 summit have faith in british security as the summit wasn't cancelled. obviously we're doing sumthing right. it was just a surprise. they can't be expected to spot everything. after all how many times do you get on a bus with a bag. u can't stop and search everyone
    Is it possible the bus was a ****-up, were all the others on the tube?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.