Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    No, I dont disagree with it.
    I am glad to hear that.

(Original post by material breach)
    The best post in this thread if you want to reply to one Vienna.
    vienna is typically all for liberties, so long as they are our own.

whereas im of the stance that if we can get a working system going which at the very least allows passport control to pick up known criminals, then its worth paying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    vienna is typically all for liberties, so long as they are our own.
    Sorry?

Sorry?
    the guy implied that you would take issue with weejimmies quote, but as i pointe dout, if the liberties at risk are our own then you will not support it. If it is other peoples liberties (ie foreign citizens) then you don't care whatsoever.
    i think its an apt enough summary...

ReputationRep:
    [Im having trouble responding to alot of what im reading, alot of you will be hearing from me in good time, but this was an opportunity for a reasonable discussion.]

We make sure that the next time they try and strike, that its not with nuclear, chemical or biological weapons. You cannot hide, you cant appease. Anyone that thinks this is some kind of revenge or protest against Iraq is a) being played for a complete idiot by the terrorists, to their advantage b) cannot see the risks of not acting in the face of rogue nations, when todays bombs could have contained any substance whatsoever.
    Good point Vienna. Terrorists were attacking the west prior to our actions in Iraq. This has been going on for many decades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Good point Vienna. Terrorists were attacking the west prior to our actions in Iraq. This has been going on for many decades
    Cos all terrorists attack the west. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Cos all terrorists attack the west. :rolleyes:
    erm... i don't think he/she was saying that, or even implying it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    erm... i don't think he/she was saying that, or even implying it
    No there is definately an assumption there that terrorism is committed against the West solely.

Why didn't he just say "Terrorism has always existed and always will".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    the guy implied that you would take issue with weejimmies quote, but as i pointe dout, if the liberties at risk are our own then you will not support it. If it is other peoples liberties (ie foreign citizens) then you don't care whatsoever.
    i think its an apt enough summary...
    I dont really understand what you are talking about. I didnt disagree with what Weejimmie had to say. Id rather you didnt use every single opportunity to make personal attacks on me, as much as you feel thats a crucial element of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    No there is definately an assumption there that terrorism is committed against the West solely.

Why didn't he just say "Terrorism has always existed and always will".
    Because it was the West that invaded Iraq. So it's irrelevant whether other countries had been attacked by terrorists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    Because it was the West that invaded Iraq. So it's irrelevant whether other countries had been attacked by terrorists
    Sorry I don't follow.

I dont really understand what you are talking about. I didnt disagree with what Weejimmie had to say. Id rather you didnt use every single opportunity to make personal attacks on me, as much as you feel thats a crucial element of this forum.
    Sigh

I said that the poster (material breach) had quoted weejimmie thinking that you would disagree because weejimmie was ll for civil liberties in our country.
    but so are you, hence you WOULDNT disagree.

however, weejimmie is all about civil liberties all over, whereas yourself (using examples such as israel-palestine, america-insurgents america-guatanmo bay etc believe in civil liberties only when pertaining to a certain group of people - namely westerners.

I was simply illustrating that in this case you would agree with weejimmie, but not always.

that is not a personal attack, unless you are ashamed of your beliefs. (which of course you aren't!)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't follow.
    It's irrelevant because it doesn't affect us if it's not happening to us. Obviously there are times the West has got involved, but most of the time we leave the crazy people to blow themselves up.

It seems like we're the civilised ones (we got the civil wars out of our system centuries ago that is). The terrorists seem to be attacking us unprovoked - yes, we invaded Iraq but it appears to have helped the civilians there a lot. It's sad, but terrorism always seems to be happening in the east, so perhaps we've become immune to it.

It's all so senseless. I'm scared. Whatever God those wicked people are doing this in the name of, he's going to send them to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Sigh

I said that the poster (material breach) had quoted weejimmie thinking that you would disagree because weejimmie was ll for civil liberties in our country.
    but so are you, hence you WOULDNT disagree.

however, weejimmie is all about civil liberties all over, whereas yourself (using examples such as israel-palestine, america-insurgents america-guatanmo bay etc believe in civil liberties only when pertaining to a certain group of people - namely westerners.

I was simply illustrating that in this case you would agree with weejimmie, but not always.

that is not a personal attack, unless you are ashamed of your beliefs. (which of course you aren't!)
    are you in London right now? glad youre ok!

ReputationRep:
    My uncle lives in London and we've heard nothing from him, can't get in touch with him and his work didn't see him today at all or hear from him, so we're kind of worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    whereas yourself (using examples such as israel-palestine, america-insurgents america-guatanmo bay etc believe in civil liberties only when pertaining to a certain group of people - namely westerners.
    (Original post by Jamie)
    If it is other peoples liberties (ie foreign citizens) then you don't care whatsoever.

that is not a personal attack
    Im afraid it very much is. Its not even related to anything I said on this thread. There was no reason to make that comment, it had nothing to do with the topic. Whatsmore, such an attack is completely and utterly false. Heres a personal comment of my own: Once again that finger gets itchy and before you know it youve shot your mouth off again. Insults, smears and more recently, indiscriminate warnings. Thankfully insults are met with punishment, and indiscriminate warnings are met with retractions. Justice is always done.

(Original post by Jamie)
    What kind of bullshlt is this? And exactly what are you implying??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    I've always wondered why he ruins perfectly good speeches with that. Without the natural english rhythm we all take for granted, it's more frustrating than dramatic. I just put it down as something for the foreigners.
    I always thought he was trying to emulate William Shatner... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Basically, IMO when they found out who did this, they should deport ALL people of this type, eg if it was muslim, deport ALL muslims from the country. That will show them. The British goverment let people walk all over them. Stronger action needs to be taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Basically, IMO when they found out who did this, they should deport ALL people of this type, eg if it was muslim, deport ALL muslims from the country. That will show them. The British goverment let people walk all over them. Stronger action needs to be taken.
    best remove all the irish. thats the IRA covered.

perhaps the germans, italians, turks, japs, we know what their lot did in the war.

how about no. go away silly girl.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.