Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I must apologise to anyone I may have insulted last night, it was not intential. I didn't set out to upset or offend anybody, and if I did then I am truly sorry. Hand on heart.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that would clearly stop him detonating himself
    It certainly would, happened on a bus in Israel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halloweenjack)
    Wow, never heard about that one. They'd be an international hero and get lorded if they did that yesterday in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    how do you decide who is "an unarmed combatant"?
    Sorry, I meant "unlawful combatant", was thinking about something else.

People are lumping together several things here. Ironically, from the view of the bombers, the people who died in London were combatants. By working in or visiting London they were contributing to the british economy which- in their eyes- oppresses innocent muslims
    I dont share the view or an Islamic terrorist and thus can still draw a moral distinction between those in Gitmo and those who died at 9am yesterday morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    noway police can be everywhere; i think people around the bombers should be more vigilant and pick up on abnormal behaviour and act on their own accord...eg...that bus bomber, it it truly was a suicide one could have been stoped by the peopps on the bus by pinning him down and calling the police.

just a thought, but more logical than screening everyone and the sort.
    it is reported that one person was watching the bloke on the bus, as he was messing around with something in a bag, and then next thing you know . . .

Well, I wont go into the details.

(Original post by Vienna)
    Sorry, I meant "unlawful combatant", was thinking about something else.

I dont share the view or an Islamic terrorist and thus can still draw a moral distinction between those in Gitmo and those who died at 9am yesterday morning.
    some of the people in 'gitmo' have been released as innocent men. if they have been shown to have been utterly innocent of anything other than being in the wrong place at wrong time how can they be different from any other citizen.
    and we arent omparing those people to the people that died. we are comparing the acceptable denial of civil liberties to some utterly innocent people on the background of an aggressive stance AGAINst erosion of civil liberties for others.

thats what i think this argument is about anyways!!!

(Original post by halloweenjack)
    i fumble around in my bag all the time on buses.
    you gonna pin me down? or just non-whites who are fumbling in their bags?

(Original post by Douglas)
    Is that why foolfarian is now Mr. Jamie?
    Lots of people seem to be changing names, like TOYL to Miles, and silverwings to SW

(Original post by Vienna)
    ...You cannot use any argument, flawed or otherwise, to criticise my or anyone elses personal views...
    The end of D&D is near it would seem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rome)
    i fumble around in my bag all the time on buses.
    you gonna pin me down? or just non-whites who are fumbling in their bags?
    That was harsh. we were just saying people should e more vigilant.
    I dont know the full story, however, of what happened on the top of that bus, so therefore I cant comment on how he was whilst fumbling.

(Original post by JonD)
    Wow, never heard about that one. They'd be an international hero and get lorded if they did that yesterday in London.
    perhaps, but probablary just 5mins of fame or something and a commendation.

(Original post by deej2)
    That was harsh. we were just saying people should e more vigilant.
    I dont know the full story, however, of what happened on the top of that bus, so therefore I cant comment on how he was whilst fumbling.
    vigilant about bags yes. vigilant about people who look like they got something big under their jacket yes. vigilant about people trying to light a fuse yes
    but vigilant about people fumbling in a bag..?

ReputationRep:
    What happened in London yesterday whatever way you look at it was just completely cold hearted, unprovoked and truly horrible No matter what the motives of the terrorists were, nothing justifies killing innocent people

I really admire the way London is coping with this and I hope they catch those who carried out the attacks.

I see what you people mean about vigilance but I mean really, how many people have you seen fumbling in a bag before? Or how many times have you fumbled in your own bag? You wouldn't really want to pin someone down, 99.9% of the time they'd be normal, and you'd look a fool. Also if the people on the bus HAD pinned him down, he wouldn't care, he'd just detonate the bomb probably, and more people would've died cause they'd all be sorrounding him...

Sometimes no matter how hard everyone tries these things cannot be stopped

It's just so, so sad

RIP all who died

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    There have been at least six explosions across the capital this morning. The underground and buses have been the targets.

These cowardly attacks will only strenghten the resolve of those who believe in the values of freedom.

I would like to pay tribute to the emergency services who are working under difficult circumstances to help those in need.

Let us offer our sympathy to the victims of todays terrible attacks and hope that justice will be done.
    whilst i deplore the attacks on london and for that matter any attacks on civilians, i often wonder at the use of the language some people use to describe them, in particular because one of the arguments in my thesis concerns the type of rhetoric adopted in the war on terror. especially the term cowardly. in what sense do you use this term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    All our thoughts are with the dead and their families. Let's hope this serves as evidence for violence breeds violence.
    agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Basically, IMO when they found out who did this, they should deport ALL people of this type, eg if it was muslim, deport ALL muslims from the country. That will show them. The British goverment let people walk all over them. Stronger action needs to be taken.
    what a great idea! if they found out it wasnt muslims at all but an english person, lets chuck all the english out...including myself then.
    what stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    ARGH!
    This is not evidence that violence breeds violence at all.

This is evidence that there are terrorists who are prepared to kill British citizens in this country. Stop trying to twist the motives for a terrorist attack to suit your own political stance. It makes you as bad as those who will twist it the other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rome)
    The end of D&D is near it would seem...
    Now THAT is a misquote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    what a great idea! if they found out it wasnt muslims at all but an english person, lets chuck all the english out...including myself then.
    what stupidity.
    Oh yes! Of course it is going to be somebody English blowing up their own Country...what stupidity yourself :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Oh yes! Of course it is going to be somebody English blowing up their own Country...what stupidity yourself :stupid:
    McVeigh was American... go figure..

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.