Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Jamie, how do you identify 'them' aside from their religious beliefs. I identify the guilty by the evidence that they commited this crime.
    If we start swatting people who share similar beliefs, or look like they share similar beliefs, or do share similar beliefs, but didn't commit this crime we have surrendered our values, beliefs and traditions which earlier you suggested were valuable.
    the same way we used to identify gang members, KGB agents etc. You don't have to wait till someone has commited a crime before you stop them. Thats the whole damned idea of intelligence. I propose we sink a damned site more money into intelligence, and aim to really take on these people.

I'll be damned if we are to sit back and wait for hundreds to be kileld by suicide bombers so we can arrest the one or two people who took part in organising it.

ReputationRep:
    edgware road is an area full of arabs.....it dont make sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topdude)
    that's exactly what we were saying at school today

I hope Howard wasn't on the underground this morning, doing his touristy thing whilst he's in England this week! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    trot.
    ? I've always thought Popper's arguments against marxism irrefutable.
    You hunt down those preaching death and destruction to our way of life
    You hunt down those who join, or even attempt to join terrorist organisations
    you hunt those in terrorist organisations even if they haven't been 'called into service yet'
    You use careful detective work to catch and convict poeple who have committed criminal offences. It is very easy to announce that people have formed a "terrorist group". That is not enough. What we have to do is find people who have committed definite crimes.

im not saying you beat confessions out of them, nor that you kill people just for one of the above. what i meant (and i thought iw as clear) is that you don't concentrate your efforts on one little terroist group (the central london cell of al-queda) but instead go for all of them.
    It isn't clear whether Al-qaeda exists at all except as an idea, rhetoric and an excuse. There are particular people who have committed particular crimes and who should be pursued, caught if possible and prosecuted for them. Unless people have been actually engaged in planning such crimes or have committed them they are not guilty. Merely having vile beliefs does not justify locking someone up. It is horribly easy to jump from the assumption that someone who sympathises or sounds as if they sympathise with terrorists to the assumption that they are actual terrorists, and failing to distinguish between the two makes it harder to find the real terrorists and makes it more likely the latter will become terroorists in turn.

Above all:

PRO BONO PUBLICO, NO BLOODY PANICO.

ReputationRep:
    obviously not a fan of iran, but this is a massively wild accusation. after all if you are going on these lines whats to say its not syria, or N.korea? or even some iraqis - we've certainly got alot of those in this country, amny desperate to see us withdraw
    NK won't be attacked because of its Nuclear weapons. Syria is not being threatened to the extent Iran is and also isn't top of the G8 agenda tomorrow. Some Iraqis couldn't carry out such a coordinated attack. I mean I'm not saying it was 100% Iran, but it would be in their tradition.

However this is extremely unlikely. It is just too complicated a conspiracy theory.
    Look at the coups around the world. Look at the Iranian bombing of Jewish communities in Argentina. Things like this tend to be VERY complicated.

If they wanted to send a message to the USA, they would put on huge military manouvers next to the Iraqi border or they would do something in Iraq itself.
    They'd do that if they were stupid. They do not want to make it that obvious. Also, they want to show their capability of attacking in western countries (they have assassinated many opponents here before)

Al Quada was responsible for this.
    To be honest, I think Al Qaeda doesn't really exist. A few groups of a couple of terrorists in each cell loosely linked. Not an organised movement. It is too convenient to blame them. And they won't miss a chance to take the praise for it.

summary executions of the al qaeda dirt in jails around the world anyone?
    Yeah, let's murder the people who didn't do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    summary executions of the al qaeda dirt in jails around the world anyone?
    Do you suppose killing people who are willing to die will discourage people with the same mindset?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topdude)
    The fact that they willingly live in the house of war probably renders them fair game in the eyes of the perpetrators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Do you suppose killing people who are willing to die will discourage people with the same mindset?
    im not really bothered about what they think or how they feel. if they take glory from being dead then let them have it. they would still be dead and would therefore become a non-issue.

ReputationRep:
    can i just say having ID cards will keep tabs on who should be here and who shouldnt!!! Very relevant at this point in time. You can all ***** on about the price, but it saves lives!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    can i just say having ID cards will keep tabs on who should be here and who shouldnt!!! Very relevant at this point in time. You can all ***** on about the price, but it saves lives!!
    Spain.

Let's not give up our civil liberties because of this. I don't want to let Al Qaeda turn my country into a police state.

Is there any evidence yet that it does save lives? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Having Social Security cards, which are the equivalent of ID cards, did not prevent 9/11. You will never prevent people who are fanatical enough to give up their own lives from getting inside your country unless you don't allow anyone into your country.

ReputationRep:
    how to you start a thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Having Social Security cards, which are the equivalent of ID cards, did not prevent 9/11. You will never prevent people who are fanatical enough to give up their own lives from getting inside your country unless you don't allow anyone into your country.
    Yup. And point remains about our way of life remaining.

Of course foreign students are the clearest danger, especially from belligerent countries with aggressive global agendas.

(Original post by zeenat)
    how to you start a thread
    Go to the head of the sub-forum where you want to start your thread and click on 'New Thread'.

The dialogue box opens, you give the thread a title and post your comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Yup. And point remains about our way of life remaining.

Of course foreign students are the clearest danger, especially from belligerent countries with aggressive global agendas.
    why cant our government just say foreign students cant pay more towards degrees than home students>>>> less foreign students, because universities will simply pick home students as they should............

ReputationRep:
    The words "we told you so" just dont quite say it do they. Nick Griffin was warning about islam in Britain and now he's in court. We will continue to warn against islam even when the new anti free speech law comes in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    You will never prevent people who are fanatical enough to give up their own lives from getting inside your country.
    Fanatical because of the religion they worship/are taught...... i might add

ReputationRep:
    why cant our government just say foreign students cant pay more towards degrees than home students>>>> less foreign students, because universities will simply pick home students as they should............

Beats me mate...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.