Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    sod africa, they can wait! Theres us putting on concerts for the world and going out of our way to help people and we still get bombed! I think we need to sort out global warming and terrorism first, and then africa!
    There is no reason to suppose the bombers were African. Even if they were thereis no reason to suppose they are representative of other Africans. Your lumping together of global warming and terrorism shows a certain lack of perspective. Global warming- at worst- could wipe out the entire human race. at least it is going to drastically effect the way we live. Terrorists are killing a few thousand people a little sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Is that why most prominent Islamic scholars refuse to condemn terrorist attacks against Western targets (especially Israel) and why people most people in some Middle Eastern countries support al-Qaeda?

How can ppl support Al Qaeda when they dnt stand for anything Islam...wen killing innocent ppl is soo unislamic....
    i dunno, but its wrong...and if ppl are doing such vile acts and saying that it is islamic then they they do not understand islam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    There is no reason to suppose the bombers were African. Even if they were thereis no reason to suppose they are representative of other Africans. Your lumping together of global warming and terrorism shows a certain lack of perspective. Global warming- at worst- could wipe out the entire human race. at least it is going to drastically effect the way we live. Terrorists are killing a few thousand people a little sooner.
    Global warming has yet to kill a single person. Terrorism is killing thousands every year.

(Original post by zaaks786)
    How can ppl support Al Qaeda when they dnt stand for anything Islam...wen killing innocent ppl is soo unislamic....
    i dunno, but its wrong...and if ppl are doing such vile acts and saying that it is islamic then they they do not understand islam
    How do you justify 2/3 of Pakistanis supporting al-Qaeda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Well in my experience, there's a strong fraternal bond between any Muslim. Even in very liberal Muslim countries like Tunisia, people identify themselves more or less with more extremist muslims. Identify might be the wrong word but they certainly feel closer to those people than they do with westerners.
    But, the people you are talking about aren't extremist Muslims themselves (I'm assuming, and hoping). The extremists seem to have such a distorted view that anyone not throwing acid in women's exposed faces is not up to their standards.

ReputationRep:
    Is their goal not the "liberation" of northern Ireland from Britain?
    their goal is the expulsion of all british institutions and citizens from the island of ireland.

hardly a positive word to say about them.

as i said. rethink and reword.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    the IRA seeks to destroy northern ireland.

i suggest you rethink and reword.
    The IRA seeks to bring Northern Ireland and the- in their eyes illegitmate- Irish Republic into a true Irish Republic.

Actually, al-Qaeda has positive aims. It means to reunite the islamic world into one glorious kaffir-free ummah and then to bring the benefits of muslim rule to the rest of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Global warming has yet to kill a single person. Terrorism is killing thousands every year.

i cnt justify it but its wrong and islamically killing innocent ppl is not right.

ReputationRep:
    How do you justify 99% of Americans supporting al-Qaeda? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If climate change is the reult of global warming- and many climatologists say it is- it has killed millions. There are many different kinds of terrorisms serving many different purposes. Many- as in Colombia- explain that actually they are fighting terrorism, despite appearances.

Probably pure ignorance. That's an explanation, not a justification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    But, the people you are talking about aren't extremist Muslims themselves (I'm assuming, and hoping). The extremists seem to have such a distorted view that anyone not throwing acid in women's exposed faces is not up to their standards.
    I've never had the chance to talk to a terrorist so I'm only speculating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBeLLax)
    The attacks didn't surprise me in the least-and as sad as they were, it was only a matter of time, I think, before this happened to the UK.

But, more importantly, what do you think the effects of the attacks are going to be, UK-wise, US-wise, and globally.
    Bush is already monopolizing on this attack, saying he is "heartbroken and disturbed because I know how it feels".
    It's going to be harder for Blair to justify the war in Iraq.

People are going to be living in fear. I'm already worried about catching the tube tomorrow morning. What if it starts all over again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    How do you justify 99% of Americans supporting al-Qaeda? :rolleyes:
    65% of Pakistanis support al-Qaeda

ReputationRep:
    ...and 86 per cent approve of President Pervez Musharraf, according to a survey by a major American organisation.(from the same source).

Wonder how that works? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't so hard now was it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    ...and 86 per cent approve of President Pervez Musharraf, according to a survey by a major American organisation.(from the same source).

Wonder how that works? :confused:
    Quite easily. Musharraf is playing both sides off of each other.

ReputationRep:
    Quite easily. Musharraf is playing both sides off of each other.
    Cleverer than I thought he was... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Cleverer than I thought he was... :cool:
    The fact that he's still alive suggests that he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I've never had the chance to talk to a terrorist so I'm only speculating.
    As am I, but I wouldn't exactly expect them to be as understanding of people with different views as the average Muslim.

Is their goal not the "liberation" of northern Ireland from Britain?
    That's what they say. That's not what the opposite side say. The people's are both damaged by their history and that is the sadness of it all.

It's a spectre that haunts many other places in the world too - as witnessed by events such as today's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    As am I, but I wouldn't exactly expect them to be as understanding of people with different views as the average Muslim.
    Well, not sure what the "average muslim" is like, but many muslims are "understanding" of people with different views only in that they see them as ignorant and foolish for not being muslims.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.