Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    That's what they say. That's not what the opposite side say. The people's are both damaged by their history and that is the sadness of it all.

It's a spectre that haunts many other places in the world too - as witnessed by events such as today's.
    What do you mean by that? You mean the Protestants don't think the IRA wants to reunited northern Ireland with Ireland?

My original point was that arguably you can give in some of IRA's demands (not that I'm suggesting that path) without destroying yourself. Giving it to al-Qaeda demands would mean either converting to Islam or committing suicide. Not exactly something most people would be willing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Well, not sure what the "average muslim" is like, but many muslims are "understanding" of people with different views only in that they see them as ignorant and foolish for not being muslims.
    well, that's a far cry from wanting to kill them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    It's a spectre that haunts many other places in the world too - as witnessed by events such as today's.
    Every place wher peoples of different ethnicities/cultures/religions rub against one another. Race being the most apparent 'difference' is the most powerful irritant.

ReputationRep:
    These are cowardly and barbaric attacks condolences and thoughts to those affected. :confused:

Will today's events in London stop today or could there be further atrocities in the next few hours when everybody is thinking it's safe to take a breather?

ReputationRep:
    In general, keep a sense of proportion: whoever did this can probably manage to do something like it every few years. Not many of us are killed or injured over time. It is a matter of who can outlast the other. They will run out of fanatics before we run out of nonfanatics unless we cretae more fanatics.
    :mad: But people are still killed. And that will destroy many people's worlds. My dad was on the tube 45 mins before the attacks and if he was at home today, I think I might actually agree with you.
    But I now believe that unless you've been sh*t-scared someone you know's dead, you can't say/imply it's 'insignificant'. If this killed my dad, It would be the only attack that directly affected my family, and I wouldn't (and probably am not) be looking at things in "proportion".

If something matters to you, it's important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Will today's events in London stop today or could there be further atrocities in the next few hours when everybody is thinking it's safe to take a breather?
    I don't think there is a precedent for that happening in the Western world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    very possible.

theres never a time when you are safe from a potential terrorist strike. just because theres been several today doesnt fill some "quota" of attacks.

ReputationRep:
    Well, not sure what the "average muslim" is like, but many muslims are "understanding" of people with different views only in that they see them as ignorant and foolish for not being muslims.

nope, not true, in Islam we are taught to repect others of different religions..i dnt look at my friends and think...ur so foolish cos ur not muslim....no, i repect them for who they are.

(Original post by Bismarck)
    What do you mean by that? You mean the Protestants don't think the IRA wants to reunited northern Ireland with Ireland?

My original point was that arguably you can give in some of IRA's demands (not that I'm suggesting that path) without destroying yourself. Giving it to al-Qaeda demands would mean either converting to Islam or committing suicide. Not exactly something most people would be willing to do.

I mean that although the republicans say their goal is a re-united Ireland within the framework of a Republic of Ireland, the unionists would have a different take on it - as indeed technik has already illustrated.

I understand your point and would agree with most of it. What I am unsure of is the reason for al-Queda's actions. I remain unconvinced that their aim is to force everyone to convert to Islam as has been suggested on this thread.

I don't think there is a precedent for that happening in the Western world.
    I really hope you're right - I would not like a precedent to be set in any country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    :mad: But people are still killed. And that will destroy many people's worlds. My dad was on the tube 45 mins before the attacks and if he was at home today, I think I might actually agree with you.
    Well I was near Edgware Road, but i'm still much more worried about motorists than terrorists.

(Original post by technik)
    very possible.

theres never a time when you are safe from a potential terrorist strike. just because theres been several today doesnt fill some "quota" of attacks.
    That is my fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I really hope you're right - I would not like a precedent to be set in any country.
    The problem is that the level of what is a precedent keeps getting higher: people have been discussing the fact that- compared with New York and Madrid- we got off lightly. The logic of atrocity means that the next attack must be worse in some way to be effective. The other complication is that we are dealing with people who are much more concerned with the next world than this, so the usual restraints, like political pressures, just don't apply.

For a real global sense of perspective, compare this with the Boxing Day tsunami.

ReputationRep:
    Is today some Muslim holiday by the way (or anniversary of some event)? Or was this just an opportunistic attack?
    Are you assuming it was darnt Muslims or assuming it is intended to look that way?

Sad truth is we get White Nationalist terrorists, Irish Nationalist terrorists, anti-technology terrorists, animal-rights terrorists...any of them are possibles, even if child briders are most likely...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaaks786)
    nope, not true, in Islam we are taught to repect others of different religions..i dnt look at my friends and think...ur so foolish cos ur not muslim....no, i repect them for who they are.
    On the wrong forum here, and we've dealt with it before, but many muslims do seem to share that attitude: you only have to look at the ones who are astonished that we don't instantly believe in islam when we hear about it.

The problem is that the level of what is a precedent keeps getting higher: people have been discussing the fact that- compared with New York and Madrid- we got off lightly. The logic of atrocity means that the next attack must be worse in some way to be effective. The other complication is that we are dealing with people who are much more concerned with the next world than this, so the usual restraints, like political pressures, just don't apply.

For a real global sense of perspective, compare this with the Boxing Day tsunami.
    Thanks - that had not even entered into my consideration.

ReputationRep:

if Al Qaeda expect ppl to convert ppl to islam by killing them...and by making them scared...somehow i dnt think its gonna work.....so tht cant be their aim.

If you convert to Islam, u do it because you want to and because you think it is the right thing...not becos u r forced by sum nutter with a gun who claims to be muslim.

how is commiting suiceide giving into their demands?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason to think otherwise. The near simultaneous attacks are a hallmark of al-Qaeda, and the IRA and animal-rights terrorists have not shown a willingness to cause mass casualties in the recent past.
    I tend to think the mentality is similar, and that they learn from each other. I fully expect other 'causes' to take up the terrorist threat, thugs are by nature easily lead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can find al-Qaeda's stated goals without much trouble. There is no reason to doubt their goal of creating a global Caliphate.

Al-Qaeda can't create a global Caliphate if some non-Muslims are still live, can it?

Well, they are completely warped and do not represent Islam in any sense

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.