Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello all

iv just fin my gcse's and im v confused bot wat AS levels to choose nex year. to make matters worst i am in a state about wat career i want to go into. however one fing i do kno is i wud luv to go into a respectable uni such as cambridge or lse. the optionS i had before was to either go into economics or law but wat a levels do i choose? i wud be grateful if some1 could give me some guidance on this matter. fanx

the a levels i can choose from are:

chemistry
    maths (decision)
    english or english lit (which1 is beta?)
    physics
    R
    business studies as my skool dnt do economics (however i have herd dat this is not a very respectable subject with uni's such as LSE)

ReputationRep:
    yeah i also want to know why Business studies is not a respectable subject!

ReputationRep:
    u mite wanna sort out ur inglish 1st

I'm not expert on this, but if you want to go into law the best subject from that list would probably be English Literature. RE may also be useful. You might then want to contrast these subjects with a science subject, but I'm not sure how law admissions tutors would see this.

If you want to go into economics, choose maths. Business studies may be looked down on by some top universities, but a girl in my year got into loads of decent places e.g. Warwick, with maths, business studies and geography.

Soo, overall I reckon maths, English literature an RS would be best. As I said though, I'm not expert, so you might want to check the uni's websites or ask in the law and economics university forums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_tara_x)
    hello all

iv just fin my gcse's and im v confused bot wat AS levels to choose nex year. to make matters worst i am in a state about wat career i want to go into. however one fing i do kno is i wud luv to go into a respectable uni such as cambridge or lse. the optionS i had before was to either go into economics or law but wat a levels do i choose? i wud be grateful if some1 could give me some guidance on this matter. fanx

the a levels i can choose from are:

chemistry
    maths (decision)
    english or english lit (which1 is beta?)
    physics
    R
    business studies as my skool dnt do economics (however i have herd dat this is not a very respectable subject with uni's such as LSE)
    No respectable Uni will even contemplate about offering you a place if you talk like that. Back to the matter at hand; I would choose Chemistry, Maths, English Lit (Universities prefer Lit to Lang) and Physics. Physics is no good without Maths - however you've got 2 science subjects and Maths, which Universities do love.

ReputationRep:
    I would also go for Chemistry, Eng Lit, Maths and Physics

ReputationRep:
    ditto.

However, it's really importnat that you pick subjects that you think you can achieve highly in and that you will enjoy, otherwise you're grades will not be good enough for universities like Cambridge. Maybe wait and see how your results go, so you can assess your strengths and weaknesses. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amysgrave)
    yeah i also want to know why Business studies is not a respectable subject!
    hardly the most challenging subject as opposed to maths, english, history etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose 3-4 AS levels to do. Choosing 4 is an advantage, as you can drop on at the end of year 12, and therefore having 3 A-levels and 1 AS. Since you want to do law or economics, maths, english, one science subject (chemistry or physics), and business studies.

Not sure about which english is better though. You would have to ask other people on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    u mite wanna sort out ur inglish 1st
    she's prolly a mathmo:cool: - i'd reccomend doing maths, further maths(if they have it) physics and chemistry...stick with the sciences and you cant go wrong...though you may want to do RE instead of chem to keep in touch with your literal side - i think oxbridge like this

pk

ReputationRep:
    You cant do english language at A level, english language becomes media studies non?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    You cant do english language at A level, english language becomes media studies non?
    My college offers: English Language, English Literature, English Language & Literature and Media Studies, so I'd have to say no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    My college offers: English Language, English Literature, English Language & Literature and Media Studies, so I'd have to say no.
    lol oh ok.

ReputationRep:
    Since there are no specific subjects you need, except maybe maths for economics, I'd just go with the ones you enjoy and will get good grades in. It's true that business studies isn't very well-respected, but there's no harm in taking it if you want to as long as you take 3 traditional subjects alongside it. English literature is more respeted than language or the combined course. Personally I'd say English lit, RS, maths and either chemistry or physics would be good as it would give you a perfect balance between arts and sciences.

ReputationRep:
    you would probably find physics is a better combo with maths than chemistry as there is more crossover so less work.

I would say to do maths definately, allthough doing mechanics would be a good idea if you do physics.

Its most important to get good grades though so pick subjects you enjoy and do well in at gcse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    you would probably find physics is a better combo with maths than chemistry as there is more crossover so less work.
    I would say to do maths definately, allthough doing mechanics would be a good idea if you do physics.

Its most important to get good grades though so pick subjects you enjoy and do well in at gcse.
    i endorse that - i did maths, further maths, physics and geog at A-levels, and found the three sciences easier and less time consuming because most of it overlapped...it was like 3 A-levels with the workload of 1, lol

pk

ReputationRep:
    If your serious about Law then English Lit is definately the one to go for, I would also reccomend Maths, Physics and RS because then your fairly well rounded in case you change your mind and want to go in another direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    If your serious about Law then English Lit is definately the one to go for, I would also reccomend Maths, Physics and RS because then your fairly well rounded in case you change your mind and want to go in another direction.
    yeh, and dont liten to school career advisors! - they talk out their ass!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Definitely choose Maths (essential for Economics, and the discipline/thought processes provide useful background for Law). If your school offers it, choose at least 1 Statistics module. It's not the most inspiring aspect of maths, but much of Economics relies on the presentation / analysis of statistical data, and all Law students would benefit from an understanding of basic stats and probability (in case you ever come across an expert witness who "misuses statistics").

Choose English to hone your essay-writing skills, and one of the sciences - this would be down to your preference, since neither is essential for Econ or Law.

And as others have said: work on your English. I'm sure you only write that horrible abbreviated text-speak for web chat, but if you practise good English then good English will flow naturally. If you keep practising text speak, then you'll end up doing it by default, and the major Unis will not be impressed.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

ReputationRep:
    Universities like enlish lit. better than language but i'm not sure why....i know someone who wanted to do law at uni but found it really hard to get a place because she did english language. That was a few years ago though so you many want to check if this still applies.

Geography or history would be useful subjects to take if you want to do law as they improve your ability to use sources and case studies to put forward an argument.

If you look at the law section in the prospectuses of the unis you are interested in, they may say some subjects that would be useful for a law degree. Good luck with your choices!

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't bother with an applied maths a level, esp. decision maths as most agree that it's not even really maths, it's more logic.

chemistry
    english lit (not lang)
    physics

All really good if you can do them ^

RE (actually philosophy and ethics) - good thing to do, apparently the exams are a ***** but the lessons sound like great fun, i have friends who do it.

business studies - if that's all your school offers and you're interested in business as a possible career then I guess you should do it, but be aware that it won't be appreciated as much as the traditional subjects (but it seems like you know that already). It's really unfair of your school not offering economics, maybe you should move school if you really want to do something they won't let you.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.