Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if this is the best place for this but,...

I have a little problem. I want to open a bank account in england. I have a german passport, but i have lived in england for 3 yrs and i also have an english driving licence, a NI no, etc. I dont want a student loan.

Can anyone recommend a bank and account for my situation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would advise looking at a major highstreet bank like Barclays or HSBC or Halifax and asking them about it.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but they all tell me how great they are and how bad the others are.

I was just wondering if anyone knows something objective and can recommend a particular bank.

ReputationRep:
    thers no problem as long as you have a uk address. I have a dutch passport and had no problem.

ReputationRep:
    im not too bothered bout the whole nationality thing, cz if i want to pretend im english, i can.

im looking for a good student account, high interest, all that stuff. and none of this at least 1000£ a month business, cz there is no way ill make 12,000£ a year when im at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, what are you talking about???

Have you been looking at student accounts???? None of them say you have to put £1,000 (note, you've lived in England for 3 years - should know now that the £ sign goes before the number :p: ) a month in their accounts, I'm pretty sure of that!

They're all pretty much the same to be honest, it's not going to majorly affect you whichever one you go for. I'd suggest either LloydsTSB, Barclays, HSBC, or Natwest - they're all the ones where you're going to get a decent deal AND there'll be a branch near you whichever university you go to

Tip: Go for Natwest (I think) if you're going to make a lot of train journeys, as you get a free 5-year student railcard from them.

Tip: Go for Barclays if you want bigger overdrafts in your 2nd/3rd years...fine it's only a £1,000 overdraft in 1st year but goes up to £1,500 then £2,000 in 2nd and 3rd years respectively.

Tip: Go for HSBC for (apparantly) a good service

Tip: Go for LloydsTSB for.........hmmm, don't know about them - anyone know what they offer?

ReputationRep:
    You don't get decent interest on ANY student current accounts - you only get good interest rates on savings accounts and current accounts with the £1000 per month arrangement.

ReputationRep:
    open up an e-savings account for good interest rate. thats what i do, shove most of the money in there and transfer to the current account if necessary. no monthly stuff, good rates.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.