Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    i was going through the- Halls of Residence Network (Hornet) Support website and it says that students have a payment to make after registering to a network access. i thought that the amount paid for the hall per week catered for this .is this like a one time payment?

anybody who know anything on this ..??

also how good is this network ?

ReputationRep:
    It's a one off payment of about £100 and it's a very good network

ReputationRep:
    This was the case before; students had to pay a fee and register for internet access. This year however, internet access will be available in every room and therefore it will be included in the hall fees. You will probably still be required to register for access (by submitting the MAC address of the computer you will be using in your room), however you will not have to pay anything on top of what you are already paying in your hall fees.

They have probably not updated the HoRNET support site yet; I imagine they will do this before the new term.

I hope this has cleared things up!

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed, I confirm that's true. They will now be included in hall fees. The network is FANTASTIC, very fast.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably have to wait for registration before you can consider getting connected too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, indeed. Nothing happens until you're registered.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't know that! thats sweet!

glad i had a delve into the older posts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt01)
    Yes indeed, I confirm that's true. They will now be included in hall fees. The network is FANTASTIC, very fast.
    Agreed, just a shame you can't use it to it's full potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluetooth)
    Agreed, just a shame you can't use it to it's full potential.
    why do you say that bluetooth?

ReputationRep:
    the network is great. last year it was £92 for a year.
    its really fast and really reliable.
    I couldn't connect til after 2 weeks of moving into my halls though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsenic)
    why do you say that bluetooth?
    The network blocks out all p2p networks, so no bittorrent links or other file sharing programs would work. It's understandable really, since it is illegal, but it would have been nice to use that super fast speed for a couple of tv episode downloads.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if binary newsgroups can be accessed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluetooth)
    The network blocks out all p2p networks, so no bittorrent links or other file sharing programs would work. It's understandable really, since it is illegal, but it would have been nice to use that super fast speed for a couple of tv episode downloads.
    *ahem*...soulseek...*ahem*

ReputationRep:
    can you download of sites ..say for eg guitar tabs or maybe mp3's

i feel the pain JK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsenic)
    can you download of sites ..say for eg guitar tabs or maybe mp3's

i feel the pain JK
    i use mxtabs.net for tabs. soulseeks pretty good, only one that works on halls network. oh and theres an add on for itunes that lets you get mp3s off people in your halls.....apparently i, of course, never download mp3s, always buy the cd, and suggest you do the same

ReputationRep:
    yah no p2p downloads. thats the only thing sux about it .
    tho its 10 mbps fast speed connection.

ReputationRep:
    we charge the fee inclusive to your rent now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmoore83)
    we charge the fee inclusive to your rent now
    So when we move in we dont have to pay any extra? Do we need to register for the network though?

ReputationRep:
    do we need any new leads for our comps in halls? i'm in oak house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guesswho999)
    So when we move in we dont have to pay any extra? Do we need to register for the network though?
    No you don't pay any extra. Yes you can register at a terminal or any cluster machine as soon as you have your university username and password.

(Original post by themesong)
    do we need any new leads for our comps in halls? i'm in oak house
    You need a network card and a network cable to connect it to the wall socket in your room

Dave

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.