Turn on thread page Beta

Potential Effects of the London Terror Attacks watch

ReputationRep:
    The attacks don'tsurprise me in the least-and as sad as they were, it was only a matter of time before this happened to the UK.(Noting that Al-Qaeda and similar organizations-if it is indeed them-seem to have it out for the West in general)

But, more importantly, what do you think the effects of the attacks are going to be, UK-wise, US-wise, and globally?
    Bush is already monopolizing on this attack, saying he is "heartbroken and disturbed because I know how it feels".

ReputationRep:
    In the short term atleast, central London business' will suffer. I assume the tube will be shut down for some time, and morning travel is chaotic enough without this. Long term I think the city will soon resume to business as usual, I hope. It's a shame that this seemed inevitable, with very little anyone could do to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the people personally responsible will be caught and extradited to a country who have capital punishment.

Otherwise we should hope the outfall is limited to the inevitable rise in anti-Islamic rhetoric from the armchair warriors, and certainly not a renewed and characteristically indiscriminate war-cry from our easily lead leaders.

Some sober reflection about foreign policy loyalties, much talked about after 9/11 but soon forgotten, would be a consolation.

In the U.S., support for the war on terror has been dwindling. Perhaps these terrorist acts in London will rekindle the support.

(Original post by xBeLLax)

what do you think the effects of the attacks are going to be?
    As far as our forum is concerned I sincerely hope there will be no 'backlash of antagonism' towards all our Muslim members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    As far as our forum is concerned I sincerely hope there will be no 'backlash of antagonism' towards all our Muslim members.
    Agreed. If we allow this to deteriorate into a real war against Islam, bin Laden will win and the entire world will lose.

ReputationRep:
    what about the effect on the war in iraq? will this lead to a doubling of efforts on the UK's part or do you think that it'll pull a Spain and slowly start pulling out?

ReputationRep:
    Worldwide there will be an increase in attacks on normal Muslims, I suspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBeLLax)
    what about the effect on the war in iraq? will this lead to a doubling of efforts on the UK's part or do you think that it'll pull a Spain and slowly start pulling out?
    Spain pulled out because the government that sent troops to Iraq was voted out of power. Blair is still the PM of Britain and he will not betray the trust of the US by pulling out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Spain pulled out because the government that sent troops to Iraq was voted out of power. Blair is still the PM of Britain and he will not betray the trust of the US by pulling out.
    Or more importantly the trust of Iraqis. Bush could whistle for all we care, we owe the poor Iraqis.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that this attack will have much of an impact on their opinions of Iraq. I give the British credit for having more resolve than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    I don't think that this attack will have much of an impact on their opinions of Iraq. I give the British credit for having more resolve than that.
    Oh we have resolve alright, if our leaders had the same quality we wouldn't be in Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    I think the long term effects will be great, especially since so much disruption, both on London and the G8 summit was caused. Blair should not have left the summit to come down to London, after all, what would he be able to do in person that he could not over the phone.

If the G8 summit had continued without Blair being absent then one of the aims of these attacks would have be stopped from being achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    I think the long term effects will be great, especially since so much disruption, both on London and the G8 summit was caused. Blair should not have left the summit to come down to London, after all, what would he be able to do in person that he could not over the phone.

If the G8 summit had continued without Blair being absent then one of the aims of these attacks would have be stopped from being achieved.
    Well, it's a rock and a hard place. If he stayed at the summit, it could appear that he was "afraid" to return to London, which be equally pleasing for the terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Well, it's a rock and a hard place. If he stayed at the summit, it could appear that he was "afraid" to return to London, which be equally pleasing for the terrorists.
    I also personally think he should not have made the statement, it contained some phrases that could have been intrepreted as daring the terrorists to try and destroy the British people's resolve and determination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Oh we have resolve alright, if our leaders had the same quality we wouldn't be in Iraq.
    Well, if there were resolve, there would have been no need, because there wouldn't have been prior complacency to Hussein's actions. Still, this is not the time to quibble over such things.

ReputationRep:

I completely disagree. Blair was right to come back to London. Britain had just had a terrorist attack for goodness sake.

ReputationRep:
    I also personally think he should not have made the statement, it contained some phrases that could have been intrepreted as daring the terrorists to try and destroy the British people's resolve and determination.
    Yes, because not saying anthing would have been a great idea..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about that. I mean, anything can be interpreted in an exaggerated manner, but, in the end, slight words of defiance are more of a testament to possessing resolve than a taunt. It is probably more reassuring to the British to hear that than to hear something more timid. Also, as terrorists are out to terrorize, they're going to feel pleased if they don't hear words of defiance. I think you have to be defiant, and take the risk of future attacks, rather than sacrifice your will for the possibility of security from a very untrustworthy group.

ReputationRep:
    I just hope we don't act as spinelessly as the Spanish and pull out of Iraq. Whilst it might not have been the right thing to do, pulling out now would be a sign of weakness.

Thankfully i have faith in Blair and don't this will happen. Hopefully within the next few days we'll see the SAS knocking on the doors of these scum.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.