Turn on thread page Beta

Potential Effects of the London Terror Attacks watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alique)
    I just hope we don't act as spinelessly as the Spanish and pull out of Iraq. Whilst it might not have been the right thing to do, pulling out now would be a sign of weakness.

Thankfully i have faith in Blair and don't this will happen. Hopefully within the next few days we'll see the SAS knocking on the doors of these scum.
    I don't think pulling out of a war declared for dubious reasons because 180 of your own citizens have already been killed as a result of that war is being "spineless".

I'm sure you dont have the spine to tell the families of the Spanish victims that they're being spineless.

ReputationRep:
    I think come Monday everything will be *pretty* normal. At my company they were told to work at home tomorrow, and with the weekend inbetween I expect most people will be back in the office on Monday. People are still going to remember this attack, but long-term I don't really see it changing people's lives all that much. People rely on the tube to a great extent and most people still see the risk using it as tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I don't think pulling out of a war declared for dubious reasons because 180 of your own citizens have already been killed as a result of that war is being "spineless".

I'm sure you dont have the spine to tell the families of the Spanish victims that they're being spineless.
    Its certainly a terrible idea. In fact, even if I agreed with pulling out in general I would be more likely to be against it now. To pull out because you are attacked is appeasement and is a great incentive to continue attacks.

These people are such *******s its actually almost amusing ... they really think this will achieve anythign they want? wow...

Screw em... I'm normally liberal about these things ... but I would give my eye teeth to know who there were and where they are...

All tehy did today was buy the UK sympathy, strengthen resolve and alienate more people around the world - sure they gave their fanatical base something to cheer about - but hey - thats preaching to the choir.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, couldn't one argue that Spain's withdrawal from Iraq contributed to today's attack, as the terrorists saw that their tactics worked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Actually, couldn't one argue that Spain's withdrawal from Iraq contributed to today's attack, as the terrorists saw that their tactics worked?
    Not really, since the withdrawal was because of a change in political leadership. Not to mention that Al Qaeda is not primarily concerned with the Iraq war, it being a Muslim fundamentalist organisation and Saddam being a secular dictator. It is worth remembering that Al Qaeda brought the twin towers down long before the US Army were patrolling the streets of Baghdad.

The war in Iraq, in bringing the US to the Middle East as a target and creating thousands of grieving Middle Eastern families with nothing to live for and freed from secular religious repression is not something that Al Qaeda would particularly like to see end.

Responsibility for today's attacks lies with the terrorists who carried them out. Not with the countries in which they were born, nor countries in which they were resident, but with the individuals who took it upon themselves to end the lives of British civilians and those individuals alone.

ReputationRep:
    Although one possibly could, I don't think it's wise to use the word "blame" when talking about terrorism because it implies that they follow common rational thinking. I think we should jsut accept that their motives are hard to comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    Responsibility for today's attacks lies with the terrorists who carried them out. Not with the countries in which they were born, nor countries in which they were resident, but with the individuals who took it upon themselves to end the lives of British civilians and those individuals alone.
    :congrats:

rep coming your way...

ReputationRep:
    What will be the effects? Well I think that we may see an outbreak of anti-Islamism among many Britons. There will be attacks on Muslims, but hopefully not many.

As to the longer term effects, we won't pull out of Iraq. Blair has more spine than to do that, and we owe it to the Iraqi people to stay put until Iraq is stable. We may see a resurgance for Blair and Labour generally in the polls, but not for long. This attack could also serve to cement in place the US-UK alliance and may create stronger links between us. This is all more or less just my theory, it is very difficult to forsee what may happen.

But one thing is certain, and that is that these terrorists will be hunted down with all our energy and resources. They want to destroy our way of life, our liberties, and our democracy. We shall hold dear these ideals, and reaffirm that we shall never let them go. All these terrorists have achieved is to harden our hearts to defend ourselves.

(Original post by yawn)
    As far as our forum is concerned I sincerely hope there will be no 'backlash of antagonism' towards all our Muslim members.
    There won't be any backlash against the Muslim members, as long as they're willing to denounce these terrorists acts.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    . To pull out because you are attacked is appeasement and is a great incentive to continue attacks.
    That's how I see it. These fundamentalists despise "weakness"

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about this, but the thread i was writing a response to was deleted because it obviously annoyed the moderators. This seems like a good place to post my reply (i was proud of it) as you will probably have read the thread yourself. Just ignore this if it means nothing to you. (This is is really just to vent my anger at the guy)

Dude, your logic is screwed up. What makes up the genetics of every single person who claims britian as there home land is a mix of pretty much everywhere in the world. My history aint to greats but britain has been invaded by the vikings, the romans, Im sure someone can come and clear up exactly who and what was here first.

You're a screwball for suggesting that Britain has an indigeounous peoples. No-one lived on our crappy little island back when people were creating huts in africa or whatever. Our island, our culture, our identity is nothing more than a mixture of the agressors who wanted our country and the refugees who fled theirs to come here making you, a hypocrite.

My grandmother was french my great grandmother was indian-born. My brother was born in germany. One of my friends is canadian. aANother friend is from south africa, And you know something? we are all white. Does that mean we get to stay because of the colour of our skin? Or should we go back to whatever country we came from? Im sure if you were a little more aware of your own ancestors then you would be sending yourself home. Unless of course you decide to ignore the white immigrants. in which case your entire act would be racist.

Labour by the way, are very much middle-of-the-road. compare the current day labour to that of 60,70 years ago and its practically conservative.

You say diversity is a bad thing. If it werent for diversity then you would probably be extremely dumb right now. Interbreeding (which you seem to suggest is a good thing) results in all sorts of mental ilness and physical defects.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, without being too forward, that you sir, are an Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    I think the long term effects will be great, especially since so much disruption, both on London and the G8 summit was caused. Blair should not have left the summit to come down to London, after all, what would he be able to do in person that he could not over the phone.

If the G8 summit had continued without Blair being absent then one of the aims of these attacks would have be stopped from being achieved.
    Blair couldn't be seen to do another Dubya after the 9/11 attacks - GWB stayed in a school for about 10 minutes reading "My Pet Goat" after the terrorist attacks hit the twin towers. If Blair stayed at Gleneagles, he'd be seen as a crony, wining and dining foreign dignitaries instead of responding to a major terrorist threat to the capital, hours following a huge victory for the London 2012 team.

ReputationRep:
    Bingo! someones got their head screwed on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    I also personally think he should not have made the statement, it contained some phrases that could have been intrepreted as daring the terrorists to try and destroy the British people's resolve and determination.
    I think it summed up how a lot of people feel personally. After reading some of the responses, it's clear that the British people aren't going to take any attacks lying down. After 9/11 everyone was full of condolences and it was used as an excuse to go to war with Iraq. The responses here seem to be condolences AND anger, with the attitude of "we're not giving up, you will not win, we will defeat you and you will never break us".

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it will have an effect on the local elections next may?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, what will come out of this tradegy is what we have already seen - excessive paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    Say hello to ID cards.

ReputationRep:
    These terrorists aim to disrupt peoples everyday lives as much as possible, so lets not let them. Get on with everyday life, dont let them beat you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    Say hello to ID cards.
    Thats something I hadnt even thought of. but you are right, general panic and paranoi will ead to people being scared into agreeing with the scheme. I'd never thoguht about that but its almost definatly a cert to go ahead now.

You have to wonder how long it will be before a pro-id card spin doctor will actually pounce on this idea and say something like "if we had id cards it wouldnt have happened..."

ReputationRep:
    actually i doubt there will be much change in the UK as a result of this.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.