Turn on thread page Beta

Potential Effects of the London Terror Attacks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OppressedMass)
    Im sick of fools saying this is an attack on our ideals and values, terrorists allways want something, they are not just malignant forces wishing to destroy 'freedom'. They are retaliating against (principally) US manipulation in the middle east and the muslim world.
    The terrorists have said that they want the world to be Islamic with shari'a law. They want infidels to die. Sounds like destroying freedom to me.

ReputationRep:
    To follow up on some of the accusations that terrorists have some sort of rational political goals, there is an excellent article by William Saletan on Slate. To quote the conclusion of the column:

(Original post by Saletan)
    Now comes the message to "the British people" that "the British government" has brought more death on them. It's Blair's fault. It's Bush's fault. Turn against them, and the pain will stop. But it won't. As yesterday's message made clear, the bombers want us out of Afghanistan as well as Iraq.

Bin Laden's whole game plan is to turn the people of the democratic world against their governments. He thinks democracies are weak because their people, who are more easily frightened than their governments, can bring those governments down. He doesn't understand that this flexibility—and this trust—are why democracies will live, while he will die. Many of us didn't vote for Bush's government or Blair's. But we're loyal to them, in part because we were given a voice in choosing them. And if we don't like our governments, we can vote them out. We can't vote out terrorists. We can only kill them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Mainly against the US and on a much smaller scale...hardly comparable to coordinated attacks throughout Europe and US...and embassies of the above countries. Can you spot the similarity? That's right all part of nations which are at present in Iraq...
    ********. The IRA were bombing London every week. Many more people died to those bombs than to yesterday's.

9/11 came before the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan. Al Qaeda was using bombs on other civilians targets long before that. There is no foreign policy that will stop these people. We cannot give them what they want (and we very obviously should not) and we cannot kill them all. Attempting to pursure either of these policies is in fact most likely to result in much more fundamentalist terrorism.

The attacks show nothing we didn't already know - there are terrorists in the world. Yes. So we do our best to stop them and to deal with their actions when we can't stop them. And we go about our lives as normal.

(Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Haven't you heard? Bush surrendered all his powers to the Queen yesterday, and placed the United States, or should I say, the 50 Colonies under the jurisdiction of the British Empire. Imperial troops have already torn down the Statue of Liberty and the Viceroy has imposed a 100% income tax on Boston. Sheeesh, some people are so behind the times...
    Nothing like wishful thinking!

(Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
    ********. The IRA were bombing London every week.
    My memory is obviously failing me now that I'm over 20! I thought London was bombed once (Canary Wharf) by the IRA!

Remind me please of those bombings that happened every week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    My memory is obviously failing me now that I'm over 20! I thought London was bombed once (Canary Wharf) by the IRA!

Remind me please of those bombings that happened every week.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelin...campaign.shtml

Probably should have said English targets but there were definitely a lot more than that one bombing in London. There's the Hyde Park bombing for one. The Post Office bombing for another. The Bishopsgate bombing. The BBC bombing. The bombings carried out by sisters Dolores and Marion Price and nine others who placed four car bombs in London on 8 March 1973. The Balcombe Street Gang's detonation of ten London bombs in five days and the ten others they were also charged with at their arrest. The height of the Balcombe Street Gang's bombings was the most regular time for London bombings but for years London suffered constant bomb threats, many bombs were disarmed and many more than mentioned here went off.

Forgetting just how much terrorism London has suffered will allow people to score political points out of yesterday's attack that shouldn't be scored.

ReputationRep:
    I think the shorterm effects concerning London will primarily be on its economy which is a real bummer, because everyone i believe expected the economy to become extremely prosperous now that London won the 2012 Olympics. Additionally, the problems concerning the infrastructure is definately shorterm because London is well-organised to get things going by next week im sure. It cant afford to delay things and chances are that another attack occurs, are slight.
    Im quite worried about what i read on the bbc concerning what a particular islamist website wrote about the next places to be bombed are Denmark and Italy.. Concerning Iraq, i dont think Blair would withdraw troops there, not just because he cares about the Iraqis or doesnt want to break the US-UK relationship, but because it would show the terrorists that they have won, by withdrawing. It shows that the only way the terrorists can get something is indeed through terror and not through negotiations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    The terrorists have said that they want the world to be Islamic with shari'a law. They want infidels to die. Sounds like destroying freedom to me.
    There have been various claims from various groups - most of which hinge around the Israel / Palestine conflict.

Isn't 'the terrorists' a bit vague?

ReputationRep:
    There have been various claims from various groups - most of which hinge around the Israel / Palestine conflict.

Isn't 'the terrorists a bit vague.
    Fine, "Al-Qaeda aligned terrorists," though I believe it was rather clear *which* terrorists were being spoken of in the context.

ReputationRep:
    Im sick of fools saying this is an attack on our ideals and values, terrorists allways want something, they are not just malignant forces wishing to destroy 'freedom'. They are retaliating against (principally) US manipulation in the middle east and the muslim world.
    9/11 came a long time before US soldiers were on the streets of Baghdad and the pavements of Kabul. Face it, Al Quada has consistantly states that its objective is the creation of a world-wide Caliphate or Muslim state under Sharia law. And I consider that to be an attack on our freedoms and liberties, dont' you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    9/11 came a long time before US soldiers were on the streets of Baghdad and the pavements of Kabul. Face it, Al Quada has consistantly states that its objective is the creation of a world-wide Caliphate or Muslim state under Sharia law. And I consider that to be an attack on our freedoms and liberties, dont' you?
    So you think american intervention in the middle east had nothing to do with it? i.e Palestine and Israel

ReputationRep:
    bin Laden and al-Qaeda's original problem was the US intervention in Kuwait due to the stationing of US troops in Saudi Arabia during and after it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    bin Laden and al-Qaeda's original problem was the US intervention in Kuwait due to the stationing of US troops in Saudi Arabia during and after it.
    They threatened France because of the dress code legislation. They will find justification as a means to legitimise these attacks to the people they are killing, and then they attack again and theyll find more grievance. This is nothing more than a tool to further undermine Western governments. Unfortunately, in Europe, it works better than anywhere else in the world.

(Original post by Chrism)
    "Bin Laden and other militant Islamist leaders issued a 1998 manifesto denouncing the presence of American troops in Saudi Arabia, U.S. support of Israel, and sanctions against Iraq."

Source........http://cfrterrorism.org/groups/binladen.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    They threatened France because of the dress code legislation. They will find justification as a means to legitimise these attacks to the people they are killing, and then they attack again and theyll find more grievance. This is nothing more than a tool to further undermine Western governments. Unfortunately, in Europe, it works better than anywhere else in the world.
    That's all as a consequence of the alienation of the islamic population in Europe. I do not believe and never have believed that the law introduced by the french had anything to do with their/your secularity.

ReputationRep:
    Give blood video
    One of the affects of this will be an increase in the BNP vote(well i think so anyway) since we have been the ones warning about this for a number of years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Give blood video
    One of the affects of this will be an increase in the BNP vote(well i think so anyway) since we have been the ones warning about this for a number of years now.
    Switch to your 'Straight' Talker account, I like that avatar more than this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Switch to your 'Straight' Talker account, I like that avatar more than this one
    what are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Pretty much everyone has been saying that a terrorist attack on Britain was "inevitable".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Potential Effects of the London Terror Attacks?

Maybe Europe will finally realize that the terrorists are the bad guys and not the Americans? If we had the support of all of Europe, maybe we could work together and defeat these animals once and for all.
    Looks like I may have spoken too soon. This isn't the fault of the terrorists! It's the fault of the Americans, just like every other problem on earth! :rolleyes:

I knew that it was only a matter of time before people started blaming the US for the attack. From the pages of the Guardian:

"And in the privacy of their extensive suites, yesterday's atrocities should prompt heart-searching among some of those present. President Bush is given to justifying the invasion of Iraq on the grounds that by fighting terrorism abroad, it protects the west from having to fight terrorists at home. Whatever else can be said in defence of the war in Iraq today, it cannot be claimed that it has protected us from terrorism on our soil."

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.