Turn on thread page Beta

Potential Effects of the London Terror Attacks watch

Waleed Aly, a journalist from 'The Age' newspaper in Melbourne writes an article entitled 'A Muslim House Divided'.

His most poignant words are;
    'A Koranic passage emerges to hit me between the eyes "Do not let the injustice of others lead you into injustice", it thunders'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    And now ordinary Britons such as myself become targets for terrorism. I'm not saying we wouldn't have been had Iraq was not invaded, but this has hardly helped.
    You are the targets for terrorism. These people want us all wiped out. Its that simple.

Youve got an infection. Its going to be uncomfortable, painful and distressing to treat. Do you take it straight to the hospital or do you just ignore it and hope it heals, take some painkillers and hope it goes away, hope that it will get bored and infect someone else?

ReputationRep:
    Youve got an infection. Its going to be uncomfortable, painful and distressing to treat. Do you take it straight to the hospital or do you just ignore it and hope it heals, take some painkillers and hope it goes away, hope that it will get bored and infect someone else?
    Attacking Iraq has hardly healed the infection. It has just made it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Waleed Aly, a journalist from 'The Age' newspaper in Melbourne writes an article entitled 'A Muslim House Divided'.

His most poignant words are;
    'A Koranic passage emerges to hit me between the eyes "Do not let the injustice of others lead you into injustice", it thunders'.
    Thats a thought provoking message, but when the politics of 60million lives are at stake, thats how it will remain.

ReputationRep:
    Attacking Iraq has hardly healed the infection. It has just made it worse.
    How do you know?

Al-Qaeda would not have attacked us had we not gone into Iraq?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    How do you know?

Al-Qaeda would not have attacked us had we not gone into Iraq?
    I think I mentioned before that it is possible, probable even, that they would have attacked even if Iraq had not been invaded. However, with Iraq invaded, they have now a justification, in their opinion, of attacking Britons. Why do we need to give them an excuse to commit such heinous crimes?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know?
    How do you know it didnt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    How do you know it didnt?
    I dont, Im not claiming to. I do know that these people are trying to kill me. I do know its likely they would use dirty bombs if possible.

ReputationRep:
    I dont, Im not claiming to. I do know that these people are trying to kill me. I do know its likely they would use dirty bombs if possible.
    ... and invading Iraq has given them a justification they did not need.

ReputationRep:
    I think I mentioned before that it is possible, probable even, that they would have attacked even if Iraq had not been invaded. However, with Iraq invaded, they have now a justification, in their opinion, of attacking Britons. Why do we need to give them an excuse to commit such heinous crimes?
    They dont need an excuse. Who do they need to justify murder to?

ReputationRep:
    ... and invading Iraq has given them a justification they did not need.
    Who are they justifying to?

ReputationRep:
    They dont need an excuse. Who do they need to justify murder to?
    Precisely. They don't need it, yet we are giving to them. It just breeds more terrorism in the ignorant masses of the third world. Most professional terrorists are educated and what not, however, support them comes from ignorant masses who are given justification by the actions of my government.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: [[quickly exits thread]]

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. They don't need it, yet we are giving to them.
    Precisely what? If they dont need it, why are you concerned with it?

It just breeds more terrorism in the ignorant masses of the third world. Most professional terrorists are educated and what not, however, support them comes from ignorant masses who are given justification by the actions of my government.
    A lack of justification would stop Al-Qaeda? Youve just said they dont need it.

Do you think its justified to prevent Al-Qaeda from acquiring WMDs?

ReputationRep:
    A lack of justification would stop Al-Qaeda? Youve just said they dont need it.
    It won't stop Al Qaeda but it could reduce support for them.

Do you think its justified to prevent Al-Qaeda from acquiring WMDs?
    There is no evidence to suggest that invading Iraq has prevented Al Qaeda from acquiring WMDs. If it had, we wouldn't have had a terrorist attack on Thursday :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It won't stop Al Qaeda but it could reduce support for them.
    Do people support chopping the heads off fellow Muslims and Arabs? Do people, like Al-Qaeda, oppose democracy? Do we want the support of these people?

As you say, it wont stop Al-Qaeda, which isnt a very satisfactory response. I dont think Tony Blair would be very responsible if he told the British public that, even though doing nothing would obviously not stop Al-Qaeda attacking London, it wouldnt increase their support among the uneducated third world. I can just imagine the rousing cheers.....

There is no evidence to suggest that invading Iraq has prevented Al Qaeda from acquiring WMDs. If it had, we wouldn't have had a terrorist attack on Thursday :rolleyes:
    The terrorist attack on thursday was made with in all likelihood, small 10lb, homemade, conventional explosives, and that killed 50+ and injured hundreds. Imagine what WMD could do. Im glad, having gone into Iraq, we were sure that Al-Qaeda had not obtained any such material. Could you have offered the same assurances had you stayed at home?

ReputationRep:
    As you say, it wont stop Al-Qaeda, which isnt a very satisfactory response. I dont think Tony Blair would be very responsible if he told the British public that, even though doing nothing would obviously not stop Al-Qaeda attacking London, it wouldnt increase their support among the uneducated third world. I can just imagine the rousing cheers.....
    If support for them goes down, they would eliminated. By giving them the excuse that builds up support, we are making them more powerful. That is what worries me, whether or not it worries you or Mr Blair I do not know.

having gone into Iraq, we were sure that Al-Qaeda had not obtained any such material. Could you have offered the same assurances had you stayed at home?
    It is much more likely for terrorists to get their hands on weapons now, than it would have been before the invasion. It also gives the terrorists a safe haven in Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    If support for them goes down, they would eliminated. By giving them the excuse that builds up support, we are making them more powerful. That is what worries me, whether or not it worries you or Mr Blair I do not know.
    Who is supporting them? Its of concern, but of more concern is preventing them getting WMD.

It is much more likely for terrorists to get their hands on weapons now, than it would have been before the invasion. It also gives the terrorists a safe haven in Iraq.
    Its easier for terrorists to get which weapons from where?

What safe haven has Zarqawi got that he didnt have when he last stayed in Iraq?

ReputationRep:
    Who is supporting them? Its of concern, but of more concern is preventing them getting WMD.
    Invading Iraq has not prevented them getting weapons. They will merely get it from somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Invading Iraq has not prevented them getting weapons. They will merely get it from somewhere else.
    Did you know, contrary to the UN, that Iraq didnt have these weapons?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.