Turn on thread page Beta

Potential Effects of the London Terror Attacks watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    If al-Qaeda cares so much about its follow Muslims, why did it start planning the 9/11 attacks right when the Middle Eastern peace process was on the verge of producing a long-awaited settlement, and when we just bombed Serbia in order to save the Muslim Albanians living there?
    I don't think they count what we consider normal Muslims to actually be Muslims. Although I'm sure your question was rhetorical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    You don't believe it's because of Iraq? The Aussies had troops there, then we had Bali, Spain had troops there, then Madrid. Now this, and Berlusconi makes a date for Italian troops to withdraw. Bush and Blair may well be right about Iraq in the long run, yet our government, namely Jack Straw at Gleneagles, still doesn't have the guts to be honest and say that the decision they made about Iraq may put us at risk of terrorism(in the short term at least). To me it's another example of how they make all the right noises to the public, but they don't really have any respect for us whatsoever, otherwise they would be honest with us.
    The Bali bombings happened in 2002. The Iraq war started in 2003.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I don't think they count what we consider normal Muslims to actually be Muslims. Although I'm sure your question was rhetorical.
    Weren't they whining about the way crusaders were slaughtering the innocent Albanians and the way the Zionists were oppressing the innocent Palestinians? Surely they should have been glad when the US was the primary actor in resolving those conflicts.

ReputationRep:
    Weren't they whining about the way crusaders were slaughtering the innocent Albanians and the way the Zionists were oppressing the innocent Palestinians? Surely they should have been glad when the US was the primary actor in resolving those conflicts.
    Well, I guess it's all down to interpretations and how you see it from where you are, and how they see it from where they are, etc.

ReputationRep:
    If al-Qaeda cares so much about its follow Muslims, why did it start planning the 9/11 attacks right when the Middle Eastern peace process was on the verge of producing a long-awaited settlement, and when we just bombed Serbia in order to save the Muslim Albanians living there?
    Because Al Qaeda is a political movement, not a religious one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    I thought it was a terrorist movement myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    I thought it was a terrorist movement myself.
    You know what I meant....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There is no separation between state and church in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Give me a break with the relativist nonsense. If al-Qaeda was willing to kill 3000 Americans at a time when we were doing more than any other nation to save Muslim lives, do you honestly think that it would not attack Britain for any reason if can think up? There is almost a reason to attack someone; you just have to think hard enough.
    You have misunderstood me. I wasn't referring to Al Qaeda when I was talking about interpretations, I was referring to normal Muslims. Apologies if I misunderstood who you were originally referring to as "they" - I was under the impression that you were asking why "normal Muslims", rather than Al Qaeda, have a problem with the US when you "were doing more than any other nation to save Muslim lives".

As to why they (the normal Muslims) have this problem (albeit not all of them), I stand by my judgement that it would be massively presumptive to try and claim that we have gone through what they have gone through (not a comment on the experiences as of such, merely that we haven't come close to them) in order to form their opinions. And so my answer would basically be - "not entirely sure, but I'm not going to claim to have any real idea of their experiences and consequently their judgements".

ReputationRep:
    There is no separation between state and church in Islam.
    That is open to interpretation. The earliest caliphs, which succeeded Muhammad, had political authority but no religious authority.

ReputationRep:
    That is open to interpretation. The earliest caliphs, which succeeded Muhammad, had political authority but no religious authority.
    Irrelevant. I'm talking about Islam today, not Islam 1300 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant. I'm talking about Islam today, not Islam 1300 years ago.
    But your statement is incorrect then. Islam does seperate religion and state. Bin Laden and co don't. Just because a certain group of people decide to change something, doesn't change the ideology.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really claiming that bin Laden is the only Muslim who thinks that religion is separate from the state? Reasonably fair and free elections in Pakistan, Kuwait, and Jordan prove otherwise.
    I didn't say that. I just said Islamic ideology doesn't (as far as I know).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that. I just said Islamic ideology doesn't (as far as I know).
    Most adherents of Islam do think that state and church are one and the same, and they are the ones who get to define their ideology. In the words of Professor Huntington, in Christianity, God is separate from Caesar, in China and Japan, Caesar is God, in Islam God is Caesar, and in Eastern Christianity, God is Caesar's little brother.

ReputationRep:
    why would so called 'muslim' terrorist attack areas in london which are densly populted with other muslim people such as edgware road and algate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE UNDERDOG)
    why would so called 'muslim' terrorist attack areas in london which are densly populted with other muslim people such as edgware road and algate?
    Million dollar question.

I'm not sure how significant loaction was though, but they're aims must definately have focused on disruption.. which they certainly acheived.

ReputationRep:
    Because Muslims who don't join the jihad against the West are considered infidels and traitors to Islam (by the extremist Muslims).
    By doing that then they cannot be muslims...

ReputationRep:
    Who aren't Muslims? From the ppv of the terrorists, the Muslims who don't fight against the West betrayed their religion, which is punishable by death in Islam.
    But the mainstream views is not that and if we believe the ppv of the terrorists then anyone can be right, even if a view held by one person by your logic he is right....surely the view held by the majority is what counts...therefore they cannot be muslims

ReputationRep:
    Then good luck trying to get an unequivocal condemnation of al-Qaeda from a practicing Muslim.
    British Muslims utterly condemn acts of terror
    The Muslim Council of Britain utterly condemns today's indiscriminate acts of terror in London. These evil deeds makes victims of us all. It is our humanity that must bring us shoulder to shoulder to condemn, to oppose and to overcome those who would spread fear, hatred and death.

Our sympathies and our prayers are with the victims, their families and friends. We extend our support and gratitude to the emergency services, the Police and all the frontline services charged with our collective security.

"The evil people who planned and carried out these series of explosions in London this morning want to demoralise us as a nation and divide us as a people. All of us must unite in helping the Police to capture these murderers. Yesterday we celebrated as Londoners, euphoric that our great city had secured the Olympic Games. Today we stand aghast as we witness a series of brutal attacks upon our capital city. We were together in our celebration; we must remain together in our time of crisis,” said Sir Iqbal Sacranie, Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain.

"We must and will be united in common determination that terror cannot succeed. It is now the duty of all us Britons to be vigilant and actively support efforts to bring those responsible to justice", he added.

The MCB, with the Bishop of London Rt Hon Richard Chartres, Chair of the CRE Trevor Phillips and other faith and civil society leaders have affirmed their mutual solidarity and support.
    -source

No mention of Israel or America or anything else there. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    -source

No mention of Israel or America or anything else there. :rolleyes:
    You want me to find statements by the same person blaming America and/or Britain for these or prior acts of terror?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.