Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to a dentists tomorrow to ask for work experience.

How do I ask? I'm guessing I'll have to speak to the receptionist first. So I was just thinking on saying:

'Hi my name is *name* and I am hoping to apply to go to dental school next year and I am looking to get some work experience before this. Is there a possibility that I could speak to the dentist to ask this?'

Is that ok?

If and when I get to speak to the dentist, should I shake his hand? Should I introduce myself, then say something like 'I'm hoping to apply to dental school next year and I am looking to undertake some work experience before this, is there a possibility you would take a student on?'

Is that ok?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If the dentist is busy, s/he may not appreciate being put on the spot. Perhaps it'd be better to make a formal written request first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    If the dentist is busy, s/he may not appreciate being put on the spot. Perhaps it'd be better to make a formal written request first?
    Yeah, I agree. Perhaps a phone call as well but that might piss them off as it stops people trying to make appointmnts getting through

ReputationRep:
    i worked at a dentists for work exp. I rang two days before and asked them if i could come and they said yes!

ReputationRep:
    Really.

I don't know, I've asked three "on the spot" before but I kinda knew them. Uuh I wrote to the dental hospital and they said yes but I don't know... Is it a bad idea to go in and ask if they take on pupils for work experience?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably better to ring them or write a letter. I have asked dentists on the spot before though and they didn't seem to mind.

ReputationRep:
    I've written to four - 2 dentists, dental tech and an ortho and so far only the tech replied saying yes. I walked into a practice and asked and the dentist wasn't in, so they phoned me back that night saying they'd take me on.

Do you think I'm doing too much? When I complete those two placements I'll have been to the dental hospital in Glasgow, 4 dentists and a technician.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I'm going to a dentists tomorrow to ask for work experience.

How do I ask? I'm guessing I'll have to speak to the receptionist first. So I was just thinking on saying:

'Hi my name is *name* and I am hoping to apply to go to dental school next year and I am looking to get some work experience before this. Is there a possibility that I could speak to the dentist to ask this?'

Is that ok?

If and when I get to speak to the dentist, should I shake his hand? Should I introduce myself, then say something like 'I'm hoping to apply to dental school next year and I am looking to undertake some work experience before this, is there a possibility you would take a student on?'

Is that ok?

Thanks!
    Just make sure you brush your teeth properly. If the dentist asks you how many times you brush your teeth, you say 'once when I get up, just before I goto sleep, and after each lunch'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-shiraz)
    It's probably better to ring them or write a letter. I have asked dentists on the spot before though and they didn't seem to mind.
    Letters are always better - you can phrase it exactly how you want with a letter and think about it. And give them time to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Letters are always better - you can phrase it exactly how you want with a letter and think about it. And give them time to think about it.
    See that's the thing, I've written to four and only had only reply but asking them on the spot has worked :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I've written to four - 2 dentists, dental tech and an ortho and so far only the tech replied saying yes. I walked into a practice and asked and the dentist wasn't in, so they phoned me back that night saying they'd take me on.

Do you think I'm doing too much? When I complete those two placements I'll have been to the dental hospital in Glasgow, 4 dentists and a technician.
    You've done more than necessary to secure yourself an interview, but you can't really do too much work experience (unless your missing a lot of school to do it) - at least you'll definately be sure its what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Take a letter in with you with your contact details and what you are doing just incase they are too busy to see you, it shows that you are considerate and realise they are busy and will create a good impression.

ReputationRep:
    You've done more than necessary to secure yourself an interview, but you can't really do too much work experience (unless your missing a lot of school to do it) - at least you'll definately be sure its what you want to do.
    Wow that's incredible! I'm not missing any school, this is purely done while on holidays

I know that I want to do dentistry, I'm sure. I want to do all this mainly for people skills and getting knowledge about the subject. I understand in the interview they will most likely ask why you want to do dentistry, why you think you're suited to it etc but have you got any tips for the interview?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.