Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    Noticed People are unsure about what bank to choose regarding student accounts so i got you the links to the main banks etc and i'll add to it as and when i find more info!

Have a read of the student finances pages on the TSR wiki:
    Student Bank Accounts
    Student Budgeting
    Student Finance Tips

xXMessedUpXx's helpful guide to some student bank account websites

hope that helps!! More to come

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be generally accepted that Natwest and HSBC are the most popular, however looking at the list there doesnt seem to be that much which seperates them, its just a case of which benefits appeal most to you. I'll be sticking with HSBC as i already have an account with them and they will be giving me a MP3 player!

ReputationRep:
    Nice links. Now I have a number of banks to choose to open my accounts. Thanks for the links.

ReputationRep:
    nice one messedup!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Moneysupermarket will let you compare interest rates on bank accounts, credit cards etc!

Money Saving Expert will help you save money, get freebies and also has info on meal plans, general cooking/washing and lots more!

ReputationRep:
    i don't understand what do we get out of the student bank account. I'm not gonna take no overdrafts out, so would i benefit in anyway? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a good job earning £5K+ now, you wont be able to get a credit card or a Switch/Visa debit card.
    With a student account, even if you have no income, you are iligible to get the cards that working people have. You also get much lower rates on borrowed money.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nas7232)
    i don't understand what do we get out of the student bank account. I'm not gonna take no overdrafts out, so would i benefit in anyway? :confused:
    Well, even if you don't need the overdraft you can take it and put it in a bank account and earn free money!

And you'll get freebies for signing up. And you might realise you need to dip into your overdraft anyway

ReputationRep:
    i have the money saved up for 3 years of uni, and i work in the nhs in the 3rd year and i'll have more than enough left over. Plus i hate borrowing money as i may be tempted to get it. I may just sign up for the £50 cash free with hsbc lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    i have the money saved up for 3 years of uni, and i work in the nhs in the 3rd year and i'll have more than enough left over. Plus i hate borrowing money as i may be tempted to get it. I may just sign up for the £50 cash free with hsbc lol
    I didnt realise HSBC were doing the £50 this yr, i think you can only get a free MP3 player or 10 CD's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    It seems to be generally accepted that Natwest and HSBC are the most popular, however looking at the list there doesnt seem to be that much which seperates them, its just a case of which benefits appeal most to you. I'll be sticking with HSBC as i already have an account with them and they will be giving me a MP3 player!
    I am an existing RBS customer, and asked for my R21 a/c to be upgraded, and they gave me a new Student Royalties a/c within 2 weeks. All I had to do was send them a couple of Bank Statements and sign a form or two.

I chose them over NatWest/HSBC because
    a)I don't need a railcard- travelling to uni by rail for me involves two or three changes and the train station is too far away from the city centre at uni.

b) as a medic, i am entitled to a low interest £15k loan from my third/fourth year onwards, which i can use towards a downpayment on a car or a small flat . (as far as i am aware, this is the only bank which offers such a deal- a similar deal is available to lawyers too, i think)

c)£1250 interest free, charge fee overdraft that gradually increases to £2000 in my fifth year

and finally
    d) i am an existing customer, as are my parents and we don't seem to have any problems with them.

[posted this earlier:yy:]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Unless you have a good job earning £5K+ now, you wont be able to get a credit card or a Switch/Visa debit card.
    With a student account, even if you have no income, you are iligible to get the cards that working people have. You also get much lower rates on borrowed money.
    actually you can easily get a credit card from HSBC.. they'll give it to anyone, my job was paying me about £2-3K when i got it about a 6 months ago, ive since quit my job and im still using me card with no probs!!

ReputationRep:
    You can get a Visa debit card without earning 5k+...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    *******s

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused.... do I need to take a loan out the bank too? Why did I take that student loan out then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I'm confused.... do I need to take a loan out the bank too? Why did I take that student loan out then? :confused:
    you don't need to, but if you needed more money, a student account would help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused now.

I'm an international student and will need to open up a bank account there. I was thinking of HSBC...Well...I don't work so does this mean I won't get a credit card from them? Am I supposed to get one of those supplementary cards that are a part of my dad's account out here?

ReputationRep:
    I think you do get offered credit cards with student accounts. Should be fine. I don't want one though. I can't be trusted with that. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    I think you do get offered credit cards with student accounts. Should be fine. I don't want one though. I can't be trusted with that. xx
    Ahh well that's fine then. Don't want to be stuck with a supplementary card where my parents can keep track of everything

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.