Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    SMILE is great. Although they did try to get me to open a normal current account when I opened my savings account and then immediatly refused me due to my non-existant credit rating.

I tried to open a student account a few minutes ago but I don't have the exact address yet. Will Warwick Uni, Coventry, CV4 7AL do?

ReputationRep:
    I considered opening a Natwest account (it's that railcard, it's just so appealing) but realised that this might not be a good idea since I'm going to Edinburgh. Indeed, a cursory check of banking facilities in Edinburgh suggests I'm limited to Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland or (oddly) Lloyds TSB. I already have an RBS account, so I figured I'd just upgrade it to a student account and stick with that.

ReputationRep:
    I've already got an account at Natwest and apparently I can get it 'upgraded' to a student account for free and get the railcard too. That'll be invaluable really as I'll probably be travelling Brum <-> London every (couple of) week(s).

ReputationRep:
    So.. in reality, how likely is it that I will be able to get a fair few student bank accounts and abuse the overdrafts (by putting them into high interest savings..). What banks are offering good overdrafts.. natwest, halifax, hsbc.. anymore?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdre86)
    So.. in reality, how likely is it that I will be able to get a fair few student bank accounts and abuse the overdrafts (by putting them into high interest savings..). What banks are offering good overdrafts.. natwest, halifax, hsbc.. anymore?

thanks
    I thought you could only have one student account? or am i just being thick?

ReputationRep:
    in theory you are supposed to.. thats why i am asking if its possible.

ReputationRep:
    Also known as obtaining property by deception. Not a good thing to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    obtaining property by deception. How is that possible i am not accquiring any property.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I got 2 last year, but since then the T&Cs have changed so you're not supposed to

ReputationRep:
    obtaining property by deception. How is that possible i am not accquiring any property.
    money is classed as property.

ReputationRep:
    techincally they have no way of knowing, but if you have problems with debt (which if you have several overdrafts seems inevitable) and it emerges that you had more than one student account then banks can take legal action.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    but if i literally just take it all out and put it in high interest savings. then put it back minus the interest, there should be no problem?

ReputationRep:
    but if i literally just take it all out and put it in high interest savings. then put it back minus the interest, there should be no problem?
    it's a risk. and it's against the t+c. and they may get suspicious that you're not using the account at all (except to take the money)... but i guess if you pay off your overdraft before graduating then you could get away with it... but is it really worth doing?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    :lol: It's only deception if you lie or deceive in order to obtain it.

Just be very careful about what you say (and especially about what you put in writing) to the bank(s).

ReputationRep:
    i could have sworn we already had a rather long, already merged thread on this topic :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    Also known as obtaining property by deception. Not a good thing to be doing.
    *cough* Are you sure it wouldn't be Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i kno natwest offer the free railcard which will obviously be very handy...but cnt u pay 20 quid and get it ureself...or is this deal different to what they offer

http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/

Also, if u r commuting into london..u cnt buy say a yearly travel card with this can you?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get the HSBC one8two1 discount card without applying for their student bank account????

ReputationRep:
    Um, no! I applied for a HSBC account but they told I couldn't have ANYTHING until I had an unconditional offer, which is NOT what they say in the leaflets :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I went to Natwest to try to open student acc. but the woman said I need a confirmation letter first! Is this the UCAS AS12 letter, or shud I get a separate one from my uni soon :confused:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.