Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    argh so many questions to ask natwest about opening my account and i guess they're going to need pictures for my railcard meh i think im just gonna have to go in ill never get it done online... this is a problem as i work 6 days a week! :eek:

one question obv i arranged for student loan to be paid into my current account so will i need to ring up the slc or write to them to give them my details and also will natwest automatically transfer my direct debits when i start the account?

ReputationRep:
    does any1 know how long it usuallt takes for the banks to process the student account application?

i handed in my documents 2 weeks ago to HSBC and still havent heard anything yet. is this normal or should i contact them??

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for a student account where i was rejected, and i've now just discovered that HSBC (my current bank) has also rejected me - because i had a low credit score.

Anyone else been rejected for a student account?

So, anyone know how i can improve my credit score so that i can have a student account!?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    yeah hsbc rejested me but i already have a overdraft with them so i guess i will just have to pay instead of getting it free.

ReputationRep:
    Same here...I don't quite understand how I can have a bad credit scoring or whatever it's called when I have never taken any loans, or late payments or overdrafts etc....I only had one normal account which I couldnt even borrow 5p from...this is ridiculous..

ReputationRep:
    hahahah low credit??? what you talking about, suck sman i got a number of accounts never asked anything about low credit check..I aint got alot of money either
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It might be an idea to phone them and see why you were rejected. As they're student accounts then they should know you will have practically no credit history.

You may also be able to get a basic account and upgrade in a few months.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you have no credit history, as silly as it sounds, may count against you. Its best to get your records checked so you can be sure that theres nothing amiss, and your bank should be able to give you the details of how to do this. I remember that I tried to get a contract phone in the first year and couldnt, and had to get it in my dads name, even though the bills were paid from my account!

ReputationRep:
    i was rejected from hsbc 2 years ago, for the same reason, i hadnt had much money going in or out of any accounts that i had. however, about a year previously, while i was still at school doing a levels, i managed to open a current account with natwest, they had no problem with my credit rating and i got a debit card and chequebook and so on, i just continued using this account and converted it to a student one. have you tried them?

HSBC are sending me letters now telling me to switch banks. pfft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    i was rejected from hsbc 2 years ago, for the same reason, i hadnt had much money going in or out of any accounts that i had. however, about a year previously, while i was still at school doing a levels, i managed to open a current account with natwest, they had no problem with my credit rating and i got a debit card and chequebook and so on, i just continued using this account and converted it to a student one. have you tried them?

HSBC are sending me letters now telling me to switch banks. pfft.
    lol @ hsbc trying to make you switch banks

i tried natwest first, and they rejected me, i'm going to apply online for halifax.

do u think its better to apply online or go into the branch.?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'd advise you not to apply for any more until you know why you were rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I'd advise you not to apply for any more until you know why you were rejected.

why do you say that?

how do i go about trying to find out how!?

b/c i asked hsbc and it said they said they didn't know and couldn't give me an answer!?

ReputationRep:
    i applied to hsbc two weeks ago (in person at a local branch) they took all the documents they wanted but they still havn't sent me anything???

is this normal or should i go see them????

ReputationRep:
    Dont apply to lots of banks over a short period of time, it doesnt help your credit rating(if your getting rejected).
    To get rejected from a student account (near the bottom on the pile as far as bank accounts go), you must have absolutely no credit rating, or just in the red.
    If you have never had a job, the former will be very likely.
    There is a trick to get around this if you have a saving account of some sort, but im not sure if I can tell people on a public thread.

Its a waste of time asking the bank why they rejected you. Just visit this website:
    www.Experian.co.uk
    and use their free trial to find out what was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I was also rekected from HSBC for having a low credit rating. I requested a copy of my credit report from Experian, and there was no negative feedback on there, so i presume it must be because i have no credit rating.

ReputationRep:
    computer says noooooo
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you ask to see a student advisor in the bank then they might be more helpful.

Or if you've got an account anywhere then see if they'll upgrade you to a student account.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worthwhile to have morethan one bank account? I've got a student one with Abbey. Anyone know any other place to open a student account with? Preferably one with debit card as well? Oh, and i heard that students don't have to pay tax...how do we (students) avoid paying tax...RaT from or whatever?...we have to fill out a form, but what's it called?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's now against the T&Cs of most accounts to have mulitple student accounts. The Co-op are one exception though.

The form has "85" in it somewhere. If you're with Natwest they send you one automatically. If you're with someone else then just explain it and they should know what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    Its not adviseable to do this. But if you must, join all your banks on the same day, or in a very short period of time. Because when you join a bank, it shows up on your credit, so the other banks will see your have already opened accounts with others (=rejection), but it takes a day or two for this to happen.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.