Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do I need to bring with me? I have my UCAS AS12 letter, a bank statement with my address on it, my drivers license. Anything else? Also, do I need to put money in it when I set it up? And I'm going with natwest, do I need to bring a passport photo for the railcard?

ReputationRep:
    you can do it online.
    www.natwest.com

They will send you forms to sign and ask you to send them ID.
    If you don't want to do it online it should tell you what you need to take with you on the site. When I opened a current account there a couple weeks back (it wasn't a student account) I didn't need to put any money in straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, several banks rejected me due the bad/low credit rating, however, my current bank accepted instantaneous.

The best bet is to upgrade your current account with your bank to a student account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emin)
    Actually, several banks rejected me due the bad/low credit rating, however, my current bank accepted instantaneous.

The best bet is to upgrade your current account with your bank to a student account
    I've been with Nationwide for eight years and they won't grant me a debit account. Gonna Equifax them next week cos I need a card I can use for free abroad. I can use my cashcard but going to cashpoints all the time is a blag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Same here...I don't quite understand how I can have a bad credit scoring or whatever it's called when I have never taken any loans, or late payments or overdrafts etc....I only had one normal account which I couldnt even borrow 5p from...this is ridiculous..
    It could be related to your address. Some addresses are black-listed for previous bad credit and if this is the case, will hinder any kind of finanical application.

EDIT - Just realised that AT has already mentioned this...soz :p:

My previous address was black-listed from the previous tennants and so I had to have it cleared before I could get credit again.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been given a student pack from HSBC and then been declined?Does anyone know how long it takes to get activated?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospector60)
    i applied to hsbc two weeks ago (in person at a local branch) they took all the documents they wanted but they still havn't sent me anything???

is this normal or should i go see them????
    I went in today and they said it could take up to two weeks for you to hear anything

ReputationRep:
    i have someone who had a good credit rating and so they couldnt max out their overdraft! halifax gives £1900 max overdraft and she got £500

so its best have a neutral credit rating, but f*** knows how they calculate ya!!!

ReputationRep:
    unlucky. I had a meeting with someone in my local natwest branch, asked me what size overdraft, i said max it out, £1250. Week later £1250 was available on my account. My mum who i live with probably has a bad rating, but there has been regular money going in and out of my account lately so it might be that.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has been asked, but I applied through Clearing and I haven't got any hard proof that I've been accepted into uni. Do I need something to show the banks that I've been accepted? Or can they check with the uni themselves?
    I'm thinking of going with Halifax.. or HSBC.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    I went in today and they said it could take up to two weeks for you to hear anything

I went into my local HSBC branch wanting to set up a student account and they said all applications have to be made through the internet. That doesn't sound right to me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What is the actual advantage of having a student bank account. I've already got an account which I've had for 2 years. I just don't see the point in setting up a neww account since it seems so complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rossi82)
    I went into my local HSBC branch wanting to set up a student account and they said all applications have to be made through the internet. That doesn't sound right to me? :confused:
    That isn't right at all. I applied on the internet (only because I wanted the £50 cash instead of an mp3 player or the CDs) and even though I applied on the internet I still have to go to my local branch to show them all of the required documents. I definitely know you can apply at your local branch because I was asked if I wanted to!

ReputationRep:
    i went onto the internet to do it too, as i already had a right-track 16/17 years old account. Are credit cards definitely interest free up to 56 days? i hope to use a credit card when its absolutely neccessary! a solo can be useless sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nocturnalia)
    Sorry if this has been asked, but I applied through Clearing and I haven't got any hard proof that I've been accepted into uni. Do I need something to show the banks that I've been accepted? Or can they check with the uni themselves?
    I'm thinking of going with Halifax.. or HSBC.

Thanks

You will need to take a letter or some other document with you which states that you have been accepted on to the specific course and uni . You need this to prove that you will in fact be a student and do have a place at uni.

Email or phone up the Admissions dept. of the uni you have been accepted by and ask them if they can send you out an acceptance letter confirming you have been accepted by the uni and onto which course.

Once you recieve this, take it along with you to the bank with also some form of photo i.d such as a passport, and a bank statement or anything that has been sent to your home address within the last three months and has your name and address on it.

This is all meant to prove you are who you say you are!!!

A carry on i know, but worth it!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wtf, just recieved a letter from Natwest saying that they couldn't confirm with UCAS about my student status :|

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm sending back to Natwest the forms for a student account that they sent to me in their reply paid envelope that is provided. I'm also going to be sending with it; my birth certificate, bank statement and UCAS letter. Do you think I should send it recorded delivery? Am a bit confused because can I do recorded delivery even though Natwest have paid the fee for posting? :confused:

Sorry if this makes no sense!!

ReputationRep:
    I looked on HSBC site and its only the music offer? Cant see anything about 50£ cash ..

ReputationRep:
    http://hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/curre...line/free-gift Look near the bottom

ReputationRep:
    Who's banking with who..?

At the moment I'm torn between the NatWest offer of a five-year railcard and the HSBC offer of an MP3 Player/£50!

http://www.natwest-students.co.uk/

http://students.hsbc.co.uk/

I was thinking about banking with both, but the small print says you can only have one student account at a time...

Question is; how would they find out? ... :flute:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.