Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    Help me out then sarah.. if i want to convert my HSBC, can i do this online? if not, what do i need to take to the branch? :P
    you can do it online, over the phone or in the branch

ReputationRep:
    HSBC were really good with me. i opened a "prestudent" account back in like april (when i wanted the account number for my LEA form), went in on the saturday after results day with my AS12 letter, was sorted within the week. got my student pack thingy the other day. but yea, gotta remember they must be so busy atm, dont worry it will get done! and u should still be able to put cheques into the account if u have an open account with them.

ReputationRep:
    i've been declined by Natwest, HSBC AND halifax *wooohooo go me*, (i bank with HSBC -Not much ££ goes in & Barclays - Where my wages to into, i'm also not on the electoral roll....Anyway i went into barclays and was told the account was opened but had been refused the overdraft card -delta i think, she said she would sort it but i'm not v. optimistic about that happening and think i will be overdraft-less for my 3yrs at uni *tis not fair*

this happen to anyone else? did u receive ur overdarft/ credit card!?

ReputationRep:
    hello..
    i'm just wondering which student bank account offer is the best?
    which one gives u the most freebies?
    as far as i know, natwest n hsbc don givve the freebies to international student... which bank will still give away the 5 year young person rail card?

Student bank accounts are only for UK students. Some banks offer special accounts for international students, but you'd have to check that out. No freebies, I think.

ReputationRep:
    i know... but it is really unfair... coz we are also student.. n why there is no freebies for us ??

ReputationRep:
    dont worry, im a british citizen and just opened a student account and didnt get any freebies!

ReputationRep:
    which bank did u open?

ReputationRep:
    Freebies aside, I'd say HSBC is one of the best banks for student accounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyMP)
    Freebies aside, I'd say HSBC is one of the best banks for student accounts.
    Note that HSBC told me (I have no written evidence of this and I haven't had experience of it yet though) that British citizens are considered UK residents by HSBC and that they are therefore eligible for a regular student account.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got their rail card yet? I filled all the stuff out and haven't heard from there for a while. I was planning on using that rail card before University.

ReputationRep:
    Nope opened an online account 1 month ago and received a letter confirming the account had been opened and a cheque book last week (which is pointless as i cant put anything in!), but not received a bank card or anything else..they are more useless than HSBC which lost my application. Plus im going away next week so theres no chance i'll get the rail card in time.

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive been waiting since about two weeks ago have only had a chequebook no railcard stuff and no service card - :mad: VERY annoying lucky I kept my other account too

ReputationRep:
    I haven't recieved anything from them yet, but i suppose they're busy (trying to find a valid excuse for them)! Wonder if they have 'run out' of cards atm due to excessive demand, just a thought since two of you haven't recieved cards.

ReputationRep:
    I applied in bank about 3-4 weeks ago and I recieved my card yesterday, still waiting on my cheque book and stuff thou!

Same for HSBC and Barclays - I haven't heard anything from them since I sent my applications ('upgrades') off the other week...

ReputationRep:
    I bet banks hate this time of year, not to mention the student loan company with everyone changing bank accounts!

ReputationRep:
    Last year they had some serious issues...i read, cause most students leave it to the last minute. Hense they have to process LOADs of applications!

ReputationRep:
    I havent got mine yet either

ReputationRep:
    I received everything within about 2 weeks, mind you I applied early cos I knew they have problems every year

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.