Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I already had an account with Natwest, so I just updated it. Accidentally threw my railcard application away and have been chasing up a new one today. Had to call about 5 different phone numbers, with none of them being terribly helpful. Although to give them their due it was nice to actually speak to a person rather than be faced with a list of options. Ok, I got nowhere but at least it didn't take very long. Eventually went to my branch and hassled them for a while so they're sending me a new one.

I haven't received a chequebook either. I didn't actually realise that I was going to. At least they let me keep my old card, so that was nice and simple.

ReputationRep:
    They ask you if you want a chequebook and/or card. chances are if you dont request them they wont send them.

ReputationRep:
    They keep offering me an overdraft.
    What kind of man do they think I am? Really!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    They keep offering me an overdraft.
    What kind of man do they think I am? Really!!
    haha lol!!! its interest free, so you might aswell take it

You never know, you might just need it

ReputationRep:
    I hate Natwest I wish I'd signed up with a different bank but its too late now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Natwest have a really helpful call centre, so phone them if you have any problems
    So helpful that when you ring they say its not their problem and to go to your local branch, who then say as applications didnt go through us its not our problem!

ReputationRep:
    I got my cheque book bout 4 days after going in the bank, which i was impressed with. But nothing else as yet but not too worried, I have 3 weeks till i go and i dont mind paying full fare once.

ReputationRep:
    I applied online and got my application form i needed to sign sent to me just a few days later. The next day i sent it back with all my proofs. How long should i expect to wait for cashcard etc?

ReputationRep:
    grr i went in the other day and she said my service card was on its way - its now ben 12 working days and they said the railcard stuff would be here in 10 and the service card within 5!!!

im going in again tomorrow and im going to keep hassling them till i get my stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    I got my stuff about 3 weeks after, well, 5 weeks as i had to cancel the first card (it never arrived) and apply again. BUT! Do remember to activate your overdraft as i was charged £35 for being £3 overdrawn!
    How exactly do you activate your overdraft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Ring them or go into your branch and say you want to set up your overdraft facility and specify by how much I think your eligible for £1250 in the first year so anything upto that, they will probably try to sign you up with a credit card aswell which is 56 days interest free, 17% per annum after that, so if you don't want it don't take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I dont think you have too. Once you open your account it is activated there and then.

I think it is more of a request then a actual 'activation'

ReputationRep:
    Student credit card is 18.9% APR :eek:

Best trying to get a normal natwest credit card which is 16.9%

ReputationRep:
    I had to ask for the overdraft facility to be specifically setup to an amount of my choosing, I don't think the automatically set this up for you, but if your unsure it is always better to ask in a branch over the phone, otherwise the fees are extortionate, if you go over drawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userunknown)
    I had to ask for the overdraft facility to be specifically setup to an amount of my choosing, I don't think the automatically set this up for you, but if your unsure it is always better to ask in a branch over the phone, otherwise the fees are extortionate.
    Oh yes, they ask you when you open your account how much of an overdraft you want (up to £1250 in first year)

Once thats done, you dont need to do anything, its yours to spend

Also they dont automatically give you the higher O/D's in the following years (ie £1400 in 2nd yr, £1750 in 3rd) if all they see is money being withdrawn and nothing being deposited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanywany)
    i havent recieved mine either :s quite a few of my friends have recieved theres so theres probably a backlog or something? Im hoping mine comes soon
    I applied a few weeks ago but I haven't heard anything yet....everytime I phone them up the local branch is busy and I get put through to the completly useless national line :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, Natwest SUCK XD My story:

+Went down to my local branch with my UCAS letter - they were quite happy to do my application out on the spot, except I didn't realise I needed my passport as well. Went home to get my passport, came back literally twenty minutes later and all of a sudden I need an appointment to do my application, and they don't have any available till Saturday
    +Saturday comes round, and twenty minutes before I leave I get phoned up by the branch - they're cancelling my appointment because the lady who was supposed to be doing it had gone home with a bad back. Fair dos, but just how much bother is it to walk me through an application form?
    +When I go to the appointment, the guy photocopies my UCAS letter (with my name and address on) and my passport (which has my date of birth, country of birth etc). Then he sits down with the photocopies, gets the form and a pen and goes "What's your name?" "What's your address?" "What's your date of birth?" When I point out that it's all on the photocopies in front of him he gets all affronted and informs me that *MOST* customers *APPRECIATE* the personal service. Yeah, anyway, after that he filled out all the info from the photocopies and I signed it and my credit card application. Whoopee - why didn't they just give me the forms to take home? Anyway, he says I'll receive my card and chequebook from them in a couple of days
    +Two weeks later I haven't heard anything from them
    +I phone up the helpline - they have no record of me on the system, my application hasn't even been processed
    +Finally when the chequebook and card come through, they've put my main branch as being in a town about half an hour away instead of the branch in my town, even though I filled out the application there
    +I'm thoroughly pissed by this point and so I go in and close the account
    +A week later I receive a letter addressed to me, saying that as I've closed my account they have sent a cheque of the remaining balance - £554. I never used the account, did not deposit a PENNY. Great! Free money!
    +The cheque is made out to a Mr. T. Hargreaves, though the letter is addressed to me. Bugger!
    +I go in and give them a polite earbashing and they apologise profusely, saying that their customer service team would phone me up to question me about it so they could improve their service
    +Hear nothing from the customer service team
    +I go over to HSBC and upgrade my Gap Year account like I should've done in the first place - new card comes through in under a week along with chequebook, paying in book etc; mp3 player comes in the post about two weeks later
    +About the same time I get through a big welcome pack from NatWest with my railcard application and so on. Yeah, that went in the bin.

Anyway!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by john williams)
    So helpful that when you ring they say its not their problem and to go to your local branch, who then say as applications didnt go through us its not our problem!
    I spoke to someone called David, and he was great. I now have my own special person to serve me whenever I go into my branch!

But only coz she messed up loads before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I spoke to someone called David, and he was great. I now have my own special person to serve me whenever I go into my branch!

But only coz she messed up loads before.
    When I phoned up and made an appointment it was all fine. Although the person they made me an appointment with didn't actually work there anymore. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    Hahaha, Natwest SUCK XD My story:

....big rant about Natwest....
    I've had nothing but bad experiences with them too! Its really annoying because when I was researching into different student accounts available everyone told me how good Natwest's customer service was...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.