Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    International students usually arn't able to open normal student accounts in the UK. Some banks have special accounts for international students - I think HSBC does an international student account - though many will only let you open a basic bank account. Lots of international students also use a credit/debit card drawn on an account in thier own country.

note: I don't know about EU students, or if this applys to all banks - read the t&c carefully on the banks websites.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think non-residents have access to credit though:s:

ReputationRep:
    i'm not good with this student finance thing, but am slowly trying to get my head around it- i need to!!! anyway, suppose we have a student account... what happens when we are no longer students and are in full time work. does it get shut down or is it just given another name???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    International students usually arn't able to open normal student accounts in the UK. Some banks have special accounts for international students - I think HSBC does an international student account - though many will only let you open a basic bank account. Lots of international students also use a credit/debit card drawn on an account in thier own country.
    I checked out the HSBC international student account. Apparently, they do give out debit cards. I'm a little fuzzy on how we use one though :confused:
    How different is it from a credit card?

ReputationRep:
    a debit card is different from a credit card. A debit card takes money out of your student account straight away when you use it. A credit card gives you credit which you spend, and you then pay this back later with interest. xx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    i'm not good with this student finance thing, but am slowly trying to get my head around it- i need to!!! anyway, suppose we have a student account... what happens when we are no longer students and are in full time work. does it get shut down or is it just given another name???
    Well, normally it changes into a post graduate account. You keep the overdraft interest free for a while, but slowly it decreases. It varies with which bank you go to how fast they change it though.

ReputationRep:
    DON'T GO WITH HALIFAX!

1. They have incompetent staff who messed up my student bank account application, resulting in me getting my loan late. When I went into a branch and complained, they said I hadn't been registered. Basically, the idiot who sorted the account for me didn't know how to use the computer.

2. They don't seem to understand that student accounts require a visa debit card not a visa electron. Its a requirement of the account, yet I have so far recieved 3 visa electron cards and they can't explain why this has happened.

3. They cancel your telephone banking without informing you.

4. They offer no extras on their student account.

5. Their staff are cretins who decide to ignore you when you go into a branch.

ReputationRep:
    think i'm going to stay with my bank- lloyds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    a debit card is different from a credit card. A debit card takes money out of your student account straight away when you use it. A credit card gives you credit which you spend, and you then pay this back later with interest. xx
    With a credit card, you usually get upto 59 days interest free - i.e. from buying the stuff to paying the bill. If you leave a balance to carry over from one bill to the next then you get stung for interest.

There's also a strange beast that American Express offer which is a charge card. These have extremely high/no limits (i.e. you can spend what you want) but it HAS to be paid back when the bill comes - they don't let you carry over balances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    DON'T GO WITH HALIFAX!

1. They have incompetent staff who messed up my student bank account application, resulting in me getting my loan late. When I went into a branch and complained, they said I hadn't been registered. Basically, the idiot who sorted the account for me didn't know how to use the computer.

2. They don't seem to understand that student accounts require a visa debit card not a visa electron. Its a requirement of the account, yet I have so far recieved 3 visa electron cards and they can't explain why this has happened.

3. They cancel your telephone banking without informing you.

4. They offer no extras on their student account.

5. Their staff are cretins who decide to ignore you when you go into a branch.
    So that would be a no to Halifax then?

I can't be trusted with a debit card let alone a credit card! But i will have one for emergencies. Its the having to budget and sticking to it thats bothering me more *has an idea for another thread*

ReputationRep:
    I think people have had similar experainces with all the major banks. Banking is such a complicated thing and the staff a probably paid peanuts so you've got to expect some mistakes. If you're in any doubt about anything try to speak to a manager - I've had four staff give four different responses to one question i asked before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    I think people have had similar experainces with all the major banks. Banking is such a complicated thing and the staff a probably paid peanuts so you've got to expect some mistakes. If you're in any doubt about anything try to speak to a manager - I've had four staff give four different responses to one question i asked before.
    Was the question "What is your name?" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Was the question "What is your name?" :p:
    No actually, though there was a similar situation where they mispelled the name on my debit card and it took 3 more cards form them to get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    flipping heck:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

i was just wondering what the best banks are for students?

(",)

ReputationRep:
    Is that what HSBC are doing this year? when i got mine i got a 5 yr railcard - invaluable!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else applied?

Did you recieve the free MP3 player? I've received everything but that ! Any ideas? Its been almost 2 weeks.

(Original post by zaf1986)
    Anyone else applied?

Did you recieve the free MP3 player? I've received everything but that ! Any ideas? Its been almost 2 weeks.
    ive got a HSBC Student Account and i didn't get a mp3 player :bawling:

though, they did send me a free driving lesson with bsm for my birthday!

ReputationRep:
    ok are u shore u wonted the mp3 player or th 10 free cd which u chose form ww.wwow.com i thin thats the address if u chosed the cd u will get an email whith code ofr wow to get you 10 free cds

ReputationRep:
    i went for the cd's but bear in mind it usually takes about 28 days for delivery anyway....

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.