Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rivey)
    I wouldn't complain about the Railcard... I switched to Natwest, but if I'd stayed with Barclays I'd have ended up with a really lame Coach pass.

Great...
    Coach pass, and free mobile phone insurance

ReputationRep:
    anyone know wat freebies/offers HSBC or any other banks hav got in store for students next year?

x

ReputationRep:
    i took my documents into a branch two weeks ago, called up today to find out what was happening and they had no record of my documents being sent in. the ladt was gonna find out what had happened but never called back - ill call again tomorrow
    really annoyed as without an overdraft im gonna have to borrow off my parents until the loan comes through and i doubt they will agree with my ideas of how much £££ is required in freshers week!

ReputationRep:
    The mp3 player worked fine the first day and packed up completely the second - I'm phoning the helpline tomorrow to tell them to send me a new one!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently with HSBC.Showed no interest in opening a student account but I've received an MP3 player?Strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlpants)
    anyone know wat freebies/offers HSBC or any other banks hav got in store for students next year?

x
    No, they are still to busy dealing with this years students!!

Have a look out on the net, in newspapers and magazines from next april or may onwards as that's when the banks tend to start advertising these things for students.

ReputationRep:
    I know there's already a topic on this, but I just need to ask something a bit different.

I've left it a bit late considering I am going next week, and my loan is already going into my current account with Halifax. But I want a student account.

I don't really want all the fuss of ringing and changing my bank details now, because I will obviously receive my loan late if I do.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just actually change my account without changing its details - by that I mean turn my account into a student account, but keep the existing account number etc? Probably a long shot, but this way I would not get my loan late, yet have a student account (although with Halifax, which I don't like lately).

If not, can I still open an account after my term has began, and then change my account details with the SLC so the next installment goes into my new account?

Also, how do I transfer all my money from the account I have into a student account, or does the bank I open an account with do that for me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you tell the SLC your new details you shouldn't get your loan late.

You can gt your loan paid into your Halifax one and not have it as a student account. You just won't get any beneifts.

You should be able to change your bank details later with the SLC.

You can do it by withdrawing it in cash and banking it, by writing a cheque, or by BACS transfer. For BACS, take your account number and sort code to a Halfiax brach and say you want a bit transferring. It should take about 3 days to get there.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You should be fine as you are. Open a student account with whoever and just wait until after your first loan payment has been made then transfer it across (if you need to - some student accounts have conditions like you need to have a certain amount in it by a certain date). Change your details with the SLC and you should be fine for the next payment.
    To transfer all the money, either withdraw it all and just pay it in (in cash, cheque, whatever), do it via online banking (if you have that facility) or - if you want to - close the other account and you will get all the money you had in it back (as a cheque or cash most likely) which you can then pay in to your new account.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.

I'll open a student account with HSBC then, just wait for first loan payment and then change from there.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point? What benefits do you get over a standard account (other than a bunch of crappy freebies)?

ReputationRep:
    Interest free overdraft? Up to £2k in you 3rd year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elspungo)
    I applied for my student account in June (pre-student thing) and i didnt get my mp3 player till august 18th. And it didnt work. Meh.
    Yeh my mp3 didn't work either. What on earth is the point!!??

Although it's my sister's loss cus I gave it to her cus I already have a mp3 (uncle sent me it from HK) and that one's fab You can record voice and get the radio with mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Yeh my mp3 didn't work either. What on earth is the point!!??

Although it's my sister's loss cus I gave it to her cus I already have a mp3 (uncle sent me it from HK) and that one's fab You can record voice and get the radio with mine!
    Me too! Mines a "wewa!!", absolutely amazing and beautiful, shame it's only 256 MB,

I applied for mine sometime in the summer pre-results day I think. As soon as I got the letter.

Got it last week. It comes through your letter box (but you might have to pick it up at the PO sorting office if you're not in when it arrives - Recorded delivery therefore signature required.)

Pretty cheap quality.. might just sell it for £20. Even though it's double the size of my other MP3 player, headphones sound very tinny and the quality's what you'd expect for a free gift. Should have got the £50

ReputationRep:
    I wanted the cds too.. and wheres my vouchers! Cease to exist at the moment.. no emails or anything. Perhaps a little phone call to hsbc maybe in line?

ReputationRep:
    My friend asked for the MP3 player and the bank charged her £30 for postage and packaging- she lives one road back from where there is a branch! (OK i know they send it from their HQ or wherever but still) Did anyone else get charged?

ReputationRep:
    While you are at university, Halifax student account is the best. Bigger interest free overdraft and higher interest on whats in credit. However, the only problem with halifax is you have to pay the whole sha-bang back within a year of graduating. I personally have decided to go with halifax because I don't think £2,100 will be too hard to pay back within a year (esspecially since I'll probably be living back with my parents).

ReputationRep:
    £30?! Chuh, I wouldn't pay! I haven't got mine yet, or my damn debit card. I need the card!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how long roughly it takes for the account to b up and running? my loan is gunna be late and i desperatly need some money right now for the first payment of my rent...i dunno what else to do cos im in a very sticky situation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to stick with my current account, as the internet baking facility has much higher interest. Il open a student account, get my second loan installment in there, get the freebies, and just use it for keeping bits of money in so I dont spend them. They usually have rubbish interest rates. I'll use the overdraft if I have to, but I dont really want to get into more debt.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.