Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Royal Bank of Scotland upgraded my account to student without asking me too. Do you think if I write to them and ask them to fudge off they'll change it?

ReputationRep:
    Looking at it, I would say HSBC would be right for me because the ten CD thing will save me money across the year!! Plus I don't envisage me coming close to needing much of an overdraft. Anyone think of a major reason why HSBC is a bad choice for students in 2006?

ReputationRep:
    does anybody know if there is a bank that does student accounts for EU students? What is the best alternative to a student account?

ReputationRep:
    I applied online for a hsbc student account a week ago and haven't heard anything back. Im not really meant to have one as Im going into a one year course (foundation yr) followed by a degree but I dont have proof I will do a degree after (which they need) so anyway I've been emailing the uni I'm going to who have told me to try and apply for a student account (having financial troubles), should I just print off their email and show it at the bank when the time comes as proof?

ReputationRep:
    I have a bank account with Norwich & Peterborough which i have had for years. Now im reading about all these thigns, which i had no clue about before. But now that i have filled out all of my forms and sent them away with my bank details i can hardly open a student account now can i? as that will result in a delay of my loans being paid? so now im a bit worried and also a bit confused at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IYIxPx)
    does anybody know if there is a bank that does student accounts for EU students? What is the best alternative to a student account?
    yeah, good question. I have just came from Natwes bank they do not do for EU student, what a pity :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone can answer a question for me that might be a little bit stupid but I have been wondering it. If we use our overdrafts from the bank in first year (say £600 out of the £1000 overdraft) when do you have to pay it back by and will it affect next years overdraft?

Thanks. x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LFC_Girl)
    Just wondering if anyone can answer a question for me that might be a little bit stupid but I have been wondering it. If we use our overdrafts from the bank in first year (say £600 out of the £1000 overdraft) when do you have to pay it back by and will it affect next years overdraft?

Thanks. x
    You only have to pay the overdraft back when you graduate. It only increases each year, and thus the only consequence of using £600 out of £1000 in the first year is that you've then used £600 out of the £1250 (or whatever) in the 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get the freebies if you're going into second year? Why on earth is that?

Do you reckon if I said to Natwest I would only open an account if they gave me the rail card they'd do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You only have to pay the overdraft back when you graduate. It only increases each year, and thus the only consequence of using £600 out of £1000 in the first year is that you've then used £600 out of the £1250 (or whatever) in the 2nd year.
    Thanks, I've never understood about it x

ReputationRep:
    anyone want to advise a student account that easy to get?
    some of them are unnecessaraly fussy jsut fora basic bank account
    abbey is supposed to be quite good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam83)
    I applied to abbey and got a letter back saying that they couldnt set up my student account until I had started university!

So applied to Lloyds TSB who change their minds depending on what branch you go to about proof of address, they wont accept credit card statements in the local yokel branch so when I prointed off my bank statement they didnt like that either, all my banking is done online so I dont get regular statements. I have a bloody savings account with them already!!!!! Personally I think they were trying to hang on to the Ipods they were allegedly giving away! hehehe

Have now gone to Halifax, who sorted me out an account no worries, I should have gone there first to be honest as I have a current account with them but I was told that they didnt do student loans, you dont get any freebies but the overdraft is pretty good and it got sorted there and then! And Freebies are very rarely "free" anyway, you always get screwed over some other way.

ReputationRep:
    FAO Halifax Account holders...

Do you have your overdrafts yet? They've given me 1000 but say they won't give me the full amount until they see my loan has gone into it. Just wondering if this is the same for others?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any banks which allow you to pay your overdraft back once you have graduated from uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafz)
    ooh can i add, lloyds tsb are giving away free ipod shuffles to those opening student accounts. the catch? gotta be the first student account, and also gotta have 500 quid in ther.e but you can just stick soem of your loan/grant in there for a bit and voila. sell it on ebay if ya already have 1!
    cool. looking for a bank acct to open at the moment, i heard rbs give u a £100, anyone got any experience with theese "freebies"?

whats the most popular student bank?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    If I don't apply for the overdraft now, can I apply for it later in the term - ie. if I need it? Also, the 'do you hold any student loans' question - does that mean ones I've already had, or does it include those I'm going to get?

ReputationRep:
    I'm soo confused about what bank account to have?!? I currently have banks accounts with abbey and lloyds tsb but natwest looks quite tempting although i don't even know what i'm looking for.

ReputationRep:
    With the Nat West account do you have to open it as your first and only student account to get the free railcard/are there conditions that you have to meet year after year to get it? RBS automatically upgraded me so I have the £2500 overdraft but I must say the railcard would be pretty handy, which is why I was wondering if I could open an account at Nat West too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam83)
    I've had problems with Abbey, they're quite slow and fussy about doing things in my experience, and always have really long queues whenever I go in there! Perhaps that's just my local branch though, and I've only had their 16-18 account.... (which I wasn't allowed to upgrade for really stupid bureaucratic reasons). I went for Natwest instead, but I'll have to wait and see if they're efficient at opening the account and getting everything else sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you need to know your full accomodation address for term time in order to upgrade to a student account (specifically at HSBC). Also will I need to take ID with me or just my AS12? Thanks x

EDIT: Doesn't matter I went the bank yesterday and filled in the application form. x

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.