Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thread all updated

ReputationRep:
    I don't see NatWest on the first post, so here you go...

ReputationRep:
    a little help please,forsome reason i cant get a student account...i mean ive already started my course and im a bit late with the whole thing so i thought i should sort it all out during the xmas break. but for some reason..no one will give me one...i have virtually no credit history, nor credit cards..just the normal account my mum opened for me a while ago....i just want to understand what these companies are basing their decisions on exactly.. and what i can do about this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried smile? I had never had a bank account (not even savings!) and they took me

www.smile.co.uk

Click current account then student accound or something like that.

Minardi

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has been asked before but ive applied for uni through UCAS and should be going to uni in september this year, but im having some problems with sorting my student finance/grants id be eligible for. I know i have to contact my LEA to see what i can claim and then start applying for it, but to do this i need a student bank account. However, to set one up i have to be 18, but my 18th birthday isnt until mid June and the deadline for applying is 29th June, by which time it will probably be too later to apply for the grants/loans in time. Can anyone help by telling me what i should do about applying for the grants and the problems with setting up a bank account? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a student bank account to apply for student finance. Even if you were 18 the banks wouldn't give you a student account at the moment anyway. You just need to use your current bank account or set up a normal one and then phone them up and change your bank details when you get a student account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix88)
    You don't need a student bank account to apply for student finance. Even if you were 18 the banks wouldn't give you a student account at the moment anyway. You just need to use your current bank account or set up a normal one and then phone them up and change your bank details when you get a student account.
    thanks, so on my PN1 form (for my local LEA) i just put my current back account details?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is what I have done then you just phone them up in September and tell them the details for your Student Account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix88)
    Yeah that is what I have done then you just phone them up in September and tell them the details for your Student Account.
    thanks, ive just left you some rep

ReputationRep:
    I think I will go with Natwest, lets just see what their incentive will be!

ReputationRep:
    So am I right in saying I can't get an upgrade to a student account from the Halifax as I'm only in my 2nd year of A-Levels and not yet at University?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    So am I right in saying I can't get an upgrade to a student account from the Halifax as I'm only in my 2nd year of A-Levels and not yet at University?
    You have to be 18 and have proof that you have an unconditional offer at a University (i.e. will definately be attending higher education). Some banks may upgrade your account now, but most will only do it after results day in August, when your place has been confirmed! Hope that answers your question.

ReputationRep:
    whats better, RBS, halifax or natwest? im considering natwest, for the 5 year student railcard and the nice overdraft (i dont know how much i'll spend, but using the full overdraft with RBS or halifax sounds a bit stupid to me, whereas £1250 first year with natwest is fairly reasonable isnt it?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lei_armstrong)
    You have to be 18 and have proof that you have an unconditional offer at a University (i.e. will definately be attending higher education). Some banks may upgrade your account now, but most will only do it after results day in August, when your place has been confirmed! Hope that answers your question.
    Yeah, that's perfect, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Im confused about where to open my student bank account!! Any ideas???

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if Natwest are still doing there Railcard Promotion? I was browsing the website and it wasnt mentioned as one of the perks.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, the whole natwest railcard is confusing me as well - do they not do the railcard anymore? i hope they do or im going to beat them up!

ReputationRep:
    I was told in my local Natwest branch that everything for the next uni year starts in June. They said they don't normally run the offers at other times of year.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they can't offer things like that any more. It's rubbish =[

But yeah, I have an appointment this weekend to set up a student account at Halifax, so it seems they're doing it already...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.