Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StewS_WB)
    Does anybody know if Natwest are still doing there Railcard Promotion? I was browsing the website and it wasnt mentioned as one of the perks.
    They won't promote the offers till June.

ReputationRep:
    I start uni in september...When can i open a student bank account? Do i have to wait until i start uni? Probs already mentioned somewhere but cant be bothered to search through all posts! Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Alliance and Leicester have just opened up a new account called Premier 21

i think it might be their equivalent of a student account although they dont seem to be pushing it

it needs to be funded with £250 a month unfortunatley

but you get a 10% interest rate on the first 1k and an interest free overdraft

+15 quid for you and a friend when you claim "you joined because of them"

ReputationRep:
    Is internet banking a good way to go with a student account? I was looking at smile's package and it looks quite good. Does having an actual branch near at hand actually matter?

If it does, then that leaves me with three choices (the only places that have branches both at home and at uni) - Halifax, HSBC, or to stick with Nationwide's ordinary FlexAccount.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gerjomarty)
    Is internet banking a good way to go with a student account? I was looking at smile's package and it looks quite good. Does having an actual branch near at hand actually matter?

If it does, then that leaves me with three choices (the only places that have branches both at home and at uni) - Halifax, HSBC, or to stick with Nationwide's ordinary FlexAccount.

Thoughts?
    Internet banking is good, Don't forget you can use the post office as a branch, and the Co-Op bank branches too. I rarely go though, I just post in cheques and do the rest online. Smile are a great bank, and I would reccoment them Highly.

Minardi

ReputationRep:
    is it true that Natwest offer one of the best student accounts?

also when can I apply for one?

ReputationRep:
    Natwest is the best, you get a free five year rail card, so if u need to travel then i say natwest all the way. Ive saved sooo much money with that Ive just applied for my second student account with hsbc. I no your not really allowed but im kinda in a way because this will be my second time at uni so il need it for my first year etc

ReputationRep:
    Natwest told me when I asked that they start accepting applications for next year in June. I assume the offer will start then as well.

ReputationRep:
    Well, its june now, early june but hey, can anyone confirm what helix88 said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomTom)
    Well, its june now, early june but hey, can anyone confirm what helix88 said?
    Yes that's correct. I went in last year and they said the same thing and I opened mine mid-June, you'll start to see advertising soon on websites and TV etc.

ReputationRep:
    do natwest allow you to set up a student bank account without having seen an unconditional offer? i'd like to set mine up asap so i can switch.

also want to set up a savings account where i will shove all my money, can anyone recommend one? (can be online)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicia912)
    Natwest is the best, you get a free five year rail card, so if u need to travel then i say natwest all the way. Ive saved sooo much money with that Ive just applied for my second student account with hsbc. I no your not really allowed but im kinda in a way because this will be my second time at uni so il need it for my first year etc
    You realise that rail cards only cost £20 for an entire year?

Wouldn't it have been far better to go to a bank with a much bigger overdraft?
    Seeing as natwest is pretty poor on that front.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just filling in my student finance forms now (leaving it a tad late... I know -_-) and I've got to the section where it asks for your bank details. Now, I'm wondering whether or not I should get a student bank account first and then fill in the details of the student bank account, or is it easier to put my current bank details down now and then get them to amend them after I've got a student account?

ReputationRep:
    The latter is what i did and i checked... it is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00c0w06)
    or is it easier to put my current bank details down now and then get them to amend them after I've got a student account?
    That's the best thing to do, it's very easy to change online.

ReputationRep:
    i was applying for a student account online right now with natwest, i think its possible to apply now, although i didn't carry on until the end, as i don't really know what my term time address will be and when i joined my current bank and stuff like that.

perhaps someone could try and see what happens?

You realise that rail cards only cost £20 for an entire year?
    you do realise thats £100 for free basicly?

also, no mention of a 5 year student rail card..

ReputationRep:
    if u apply for a student bank account now you dont get the freebie i tried they say they will call you back when they are pushing them

ReputationRep:
    I had liked the idea of going for Natwest but being 23 the most they could offer me is a 3 year railcard. So I wonder what the next best bank is. I'm currently with LloydsTSB and I really don't like their offers. They don't even let you have access to all of the overdraft at once. It's in steps of £500. So seems I'll have to switch banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    I had liked the idea of going for Natwest but being 23 the most they could offer me is a 3 year railcard. So I wonder what the next best bank is. I'm currently with LloydsTSB and I really don't like their offers. They don't even let you have access to all of the overdraft at once. It's in steps of £500. So seems I'll have to switch banks.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account

There is a comparison there you may have to go through the T&Cs for each one but at least its all there

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It's for 06/07 though so maybe I should wait until they update it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.