Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Shouldnt change too much... they dont really do they?! and what yoear you need it in? i just presumed you meant this sept

ReputationRep:
    I assume 06/07 means for the student year starting September 06. I'm wanting one for 07. You might be right in that they won't change much.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh see i just assumed it was up to date for 06 and 07 silly me

ReputationRep:
    i'm already with hsbc for my normal account and have got some carp through the mail from them about their student account... are others available yet, should I be signing up already?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, if I were you. Give it til August then all the offers are out, but if I were you I would open it before you get to uni, as then you can use it from day 1.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether to stay with hsbc or go with natwest?

ReputationRep:
    Natwest looks rubbish to me, offering student railcards etc to draw people to them. Go for the ones with the best overdraft arrangements and stuff.
    I'm with Barclays and will either stay with them or switch to Abbey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Wait, if I were you. Give it til August then all the offers are out, but if I were you I would open it before you get to uni, as then you can use it from day 1.
    mum's pressuring me to get one now what shall I do?

ReputationRep:
    Tell her you can't have one until you know your grades and you have an unconditional offer. Its not your problem, its the banks etc....

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer though

ReputationRep:
    Lie.

ReputationRep:
    im going to go with natwest. also think about this: while you shouldn't go for a bank that offers you the best freebie, why should you go to the bank that offers you the most overdraft? being in debt isn't good! so if you went with natwest, overdraft of £1250, you'll be twice as carefull (or more) than if you took halifax's £2750 overdraft.

you dont have the rest of ur life and have to earn over £15k pa to pay off you're overdraft, you have max 1 year after you graduate, so surely its best to keep you're overdraft as low as possible, but have one which wouldn't be difficult to take etc. "quality not quantity"

ReputationRep:
    I went to natwest today and did it, just gotta wait to get stuff in the post

ReputationRep:
    If Natwest offer me a 5 year railcard, will I be able to use it for five years considering the cards are normally for under 26s and students and I will be 26 after 3 years when I finish university? Or will I only be able to use it for 3?

ReputationRep:
    Ive looked up the rules thing and it states;

Mature students or First Year students who will be aged over 26 at the expiry of the 5 year YP rail card will be issued with a rail card that expires either at the end of their degree course or on the day before their 27th birthday

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Bah at that then! I guess I'll stick with my other plan and go with the next best bank. Some usually give iPods and I don't need one of them, so maybe I should go for the bank with the best overdraft. But debt isn't good and I would avoid using the overdraft anyway.

ReputationRep:
    overdrafts are there when you need them. It's like a safety net. I'm taking Halifax up on their £2,750.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, I'm not sure if I will need one, nevermind a massive one.

I dont know which bank to go for:s:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to stick with Halifax for my student account. I know that they've got an awesome overdraft of £2750 every year but I doubt I'll need it because I hate owing(that word looks weird, lol) money. Or does anyone think Halifax's student account is rubbish for any reason? I don't think I'll need a railcard as I will mostly be travelling by car...

EDIT: It also seems to have quite high interest (2%) compared to most of the other good ones (e.g. 0.1% Natwest)...

EDIT2: It says that the overdraft is interest free but I see that on the comparison site it says "Authorised Overdraft: 7.2% EAR (0.58% pm) - £1", what exactly does this mean? Sorry, don't know much about these things, lol.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.