Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    I applied for one and got a card accidentally.

ReputationRep:
    I need a bank account for uni etc, and im trying to choose which one.

Has anybody got any experience on which bank is best to go with, or any horror stories on which ones to avoid.

thx

EDIT: Obviously will rep most helpful poster

ReputationRep:
    im with hsbc.

you get a free railcard i think or £50.

(railcards worth £90)

they cocked up though, and i got both

ReputationRep:
    Halifax Student Account - it's like really easy to set up you just take say a birth certificate down there and they set it up really really quickly (only took me like 10 minutes). Haven't had any horrors, everything's been going fine (and the cards got a nice design :p: )

But yeah here: http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/student.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Natwest has a free railcard if u apply this summer.. i think im gonna do that. i don't think HSBC offer that this year? does anyone know??

ReputationRep:
    hsbc are not doing the rail card... but they are doing 10 free cd's or a mp3 player

ReputationRep:
    iv just applied for one online, but just thought about it and now ill have 3 bank accounts! if i dont fill in the paper work they send me, the bank account wont be opend will it?

ReputationRep:
    Natwest is where it's at. You have no idea how valuable a RailCard can be. You save £125.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC's 10 free cds = £70s worth of free gear. Natwest's 5 years of railcards = £125 worth of free gear.

I would definitely go for either HSBC or Natwest though. Generally, HSBC Is the best bank but Natwest have a bit of a reputation for being the most student-friendly. Natwest's online services are also better than the other banks, although again, HSBC is very good too. I suppose going for Halifax wouldn't be that bad, but whatever you do, don't go for Barclays or a building society based bank like the Alliance and Leicester or Bradford and Bingley. Appalling service for students.

If I were you I'd just look at HSBC and Natwest and see which free deals you'd rather have (RailCards are very useful, hint hint) and where the banks are located in relation to where you live and your University.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how much the overdraft limit without paying interest is for natwest, Barclays only offers a £200 overdraft....which i dont think is that much

ReputationRep:
    You get loads of interest free overdraft with Natwest.

1st year = £1,250
    2nd year = £1,400
    3rd year = £1,600

I've gone for them. They seem the best, plus I already had an account with them so it was easy just to update it.

Edit: According to the Natwest leaflet Barclays offer a £1000 one in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockworkapples)

1st year = £1,250
    2nd year = £1,400
    3rd year = £1,600

I've gone for them. They seem the best, plus I already had an account with them so it was easy just to update it.

Edit: According to the Natwest leaflet Barclays offer a £1000 one in the first year.

really?? was just on the barclays website...must have read the info wrong.

Ive already got a solo account with natwest, is it possible to keep my solo account and have a separate student account??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temilola)
    Ive already got a solo account with natwest, is it possible to keep my solo account and have a separate student account??
    A card plus account? That was what I had. No I dont think so but why would you want to? What would be the point? If you upgrade your account you keep your card and account number and that kinda thing. The account type just changes so you get to do more grown up things with it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I was supposed to get a Railcard with HSBC but they never sent it to me or the CDs. They also didn't put a stamp on one of their letters so I had to pay £1.50 to get it and something else went wrong with them too....grr!

ReputationRep:
    you could check out
    http://money.msn.co.uk/Student/Banki...ys/default.asp
    pheebs xx

ReputationRep:
    A card plus account? That was what I had. No I dont think so but why would you want to? What would be the point? If you upgrade your account you keep your card and account number and that kinda thing. The account type just changes so you get to do more grown up things with it :cool:

just incase youve got a £900 overdraft in your account and you get £100, if you pay it into your student account you would just have a £800 overdraft

or if youve almost used up all your overdraft and you just want another account.....

ReputationRep:

1st year = £1,250
    2nd year = £1,400
    3rd year = £1,600

Same here, I've had an account with Natwest for ages, and it seemed the best just to update it after looking at what the other banks had to offer students. Think I got £55 cash from Natwest last year which was good for me seeing as I didnt need a railcard cos I stayed in London and things.
    Natwest set up an interest free overdraft for about £1250 in the first year, which is good and I didnt even have to take out a loan (I worked as well!)
    Their online banking is really good too, so easy to use and simple...!

ReputationRep:
    you can set up two accounts at natwest and hsbc and bag all the freebies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    you can set up two accounts at natwest and hsbc and bag all the freebies.
    don't you have to commit to one (as in put a certain amount of cash in) or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebs)
    you could check out
    http://money.msn.co.uk/Student/Banki...ys/default.asp
    pheebs xx
    thats useful, but a lot of it has changed

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.