Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If interest matters then consider Smile. It has 3.04% AER interest.

I am going to update my young persons account to a barclays student account, is their any downsides to barclays student account in anyways before I make this switch.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a student overdraft before and I'll be starting my third year at uni. Is it still possible for me to apply for a student account?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Not Can't speak for all banks, But co-op and Smile don't mind.

Minardi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    EDIT2: It says that the overdraft is interest free but I see that on the comparison site it says "Authorised Overdraft: 7.2% EAR (0.58% pm) - £1", what exactly does this mean? Sorry, don't know much about these things, lol.
    i think, this is where you agree an overdraft limit above what they give you free. so say the limit is £1000, but u agree an overdraft of 1500, the last 500 are subject to those charges (7.2% a year), charged by the day. this is where things can become expensive, but a lot less expensive that if it was unauthorised (these can be 25%)

ReputationRep:
    Im going to get a Student Bank Account and am between Lloyds and Natwest. But i don't know whether it would be wait till freshers' week, do they give better offers at that time or no change? Can anyone shed any light on that?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, there are no extra offers for signing up in freshers' week. You really need to be signed up before then, so you can get your student loans put into your student account. You don't want all the hassle of setting up a bank account and changing details during freshers' week.

As for which bank, seems to be a matter of personal choice. Go for which has the best over-draft rather than the best free gift. I know Lloyds' overdraft system isn't very nice, and I think Natwest's is one of the best.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Sephiroth

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds have some of the heftiest charges for going over your approved overdraft limit. There are some real attractions about their account too though, so it depends how good you think you will be at managing your money. I'm tempted by the Lloyds account because I know I can live on a budget but if you have any worries that you might find yourself out of control then Lloyds probably isn't the account for you!

ReputationRep:
    Good points, i think i'll have to compare the overdraft-free limits a bit more in detail.

ReputationRep:
    As an EU student coming to the UK, do I qualify for a normal student account at Lloyds or HSBC? I can only seem to find information about the common student account and that for international students (which includes far less benefits).

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if an international student(EU) can have student account?

Sorry for repeating.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC and Barclays do an international student account, thats about your only option.

ReputationRep:
    What “Authorised Overdraft” and “Unauthorised Overdraft” mean?
    Are we supposed to call them and ask if we may take same money from account every time we need them?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/bank/natwest-bank/1001860/

I have an account with Lloyds TSB at the moment and was going to switch to Natwest until this put me off, not only because of terrible customer service but the fact it's supporting 'an environmental and humanitarian catastrophe which breaches the bank's code of conduct' according to Friends of the Earth. I know many mainstream banks may do something similar, but it really put me off. Plus after making a mistake on the online application then trying to apply by starting again , it said I have to go in branch to do it instead, not a good start I guess!

Does anyone have any experience of banking with the Natwest or Co-operative student accounts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UAG)
    What “Authorised Overdraft” and “Unauthorised Overdraft” mean?
    Are we supposed to call them and ask if we may take same money from account every time we need them?
    Authorised Overdraft is when you have an agreed limit with the bank within which you can go overdrawn. So for example with Natwest you can set up an over draft of upto £1250 and then as long as you stay within that limit the overdraft is seen as authorised.

Unauthorised overdraft is when you just go overdrawn without having any agreed overdraft set up or if you go over the agreed limit. They normally charge something like £30-40 if you go into an unauthorised overdraft.

So you don't need to call them every time you need an overdraft as long as you stay within the limit you have on your account. If you need to increase that limit then you would have to phone them.

ReputationRep:
    As no one answered my thread can someone tell me whether or not it's ok to have a student account alongside my..eerm..current current account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk)
    As no one answered my thread can someone tell me whether or not it's ok to have a student account alongside my..eerm..current current account?
    Yeah that should be fine and its what I have, there both with the same bank even. Its just more than one student account you can't have.

ReputationRep:
    Ok great. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi, are u allowed more than 1 student account??

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.