Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    depends, but generally, its a no. (i believe natwest, barclays, hsbc, halifax, RBS, abbey? won't allow it, just do some reading)
    why do you want two student accounts anyway?

ReputationRep:
    becuase student accounts are better than standard current accounts (bigger overdrafts, interest etc)

ReputationRep:
    why couldnt just one be enough? for better interest just open a seperate savings account with the same branch and have money transfered there, and for overdrafts, the banks that might allow a second student account are likely to have a low overdraft, so getting a high overdraft account such as Halifax would be easier and better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomTom)
    why couldnt just one be enough? for better interest just open a seperate savings account with the same branch and have money transfered there, and for overdrafts, the banks that might allow a second student account are likely to have a low overdraft, so getting a high overdraft account such as Halifax would be easier and better.
    Halifax only gives big overdrafts to low credit risks. If you're struggling with your existing overdraft, you're probably not really a low credit risk.

ReputationRep:
    mm i have 2 student accounts, barclays didnt check even though i had a natwest one

my mate has 3 and has applied for 2 more

ReputationRep:
    Although other banks are offering freebies with their accounts, I think I will just stick with my current bank (HBOS). They offer the biggest overdraft, something like up to £2750, and I think they will give me an overdraft of £1500+. Since I already have online banking set up with them, that will be easiest for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be signing up for Halifx, I think. Natwest gives a pretty good offer with the Railcard, but the ODlimit is significantly lower... Although I will have to check with both since I'll only be 17 when i start uni.

About current accounts... I really want to switch from HSBC (0.1% interest on my savings is just poor), but the only high AER (is that right?) rates i can find require me to have a minimum income, which I don't have. Can anyone recommend anything which has internet banking and pretty good overall services? e.g. cash machines, customer service etc..

I was considering Smile but not entirely sure as they are primarily web-based... Any sugestions?

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it to find out how much overdraft your eligible to get? Do you have to sign up to the bank and then apply for it, or can you just go in an ask them?

I'm asking because if in reality I can get higher than the £1250 OD Natwest gives, I would go to Halifax, but otherwise I'd go with Natwest.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know anything about student accounts.

I want one and need one, but how do I know which is best?

And then what? Do I need to personally visit every high street bank to supply ID? :rolleyes:

I want one with an overdraft of ~£1000 and a free Student Railcard. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    The only one offering the rail card is natwest

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between Halifax (because 2% in-credit interest and they offer a great overdraft limit) and Natwest (for their railcard offer).. but i already have a railcard which doesnt expire until next summer, so do you think they'd be willing to start the railcard offer from that date onwards? otherwise, i'm going with Halifax.
    cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll upgrade my Halifax current account to a student account on Monday. Not that bothered about the railcard and I like the good rate of interest with Halifax and the larger overdraft should I ever need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    I think I'll upgrade my Halifax current account to a student account on Monday. Not that bothered about the railcard and I like the good rate of interest with Halifax and the larger overdraft should I ever need it.
    I'm going to try and upgrade my current account at some stage this week, but I am working every day. Need to have my overdraft in place before buying stuff like a new laptop.

ReputationRep:
    It turns out I can't have a student account with the overdraft facility until I turn 18 in January. Ohno.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I'll only be 17 when I start uni... I guess they only give overdrafts to 18 and overs.. must be illegal to do otherwise. I can have a Young Person's account then upgrade it later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonacristel)
    I'll only be 17 when I start uni... I guess they only give overdrafts to 18 and overs.. must be illegal to do otherwise. I can have a Young Person's account then upgrade it later on.
    Overdrafts are credit agreements, and you generally need to be over 18 before you can sign legal agreements of any sort.

ReputationRep:
    Right chaps, need some advice. Currently with Barclays with a normal account and have an excessive amount of savings in it. I'm thinking of opening an ISA or savings account to stick some of it in there but for now my main concern is getting a student account. To get one with Barclays would be the least hassle obviously and I'm guessing if I don't go with Barclays, I'll have to notify the loans company of new account details and what not which all seems a bit of effort so I need to know if it's worth it.

I can't see myself using my overdraft at all but I guess it's good to have it there just in case and for that Barclays sounds good enough, just that I don't think Barclays give any freebies apart from 'free cinema tickets and exciting discounts on well-known names' which basically sounds poo as the former will have some ridiculous clause and the latter will be a 5% discount off sportsworld.

I'm under the impression Natwest's highly publisized Free Railway Card offer is the best one to go for in terms of freebies, is this worth all the hassle of changing bank accounts? Could I even keep my student account with Barclays and open one with Natwest? How quickly would I be able to close the Natwest account after opening it?

Considering overdraft facilities aren't that important to me, any other accounts that I should be aware of? Maybe with great freebies or interest rates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Haine - Saïd)
    Considering overdraft facilities aren't that important to me, any other accounts that I should be aware of? Maybe with great freebies or interest rates?
    the accounts with the highest interest rate is smile at 3.04%, followed by halifax with 2.02%.
    the natwest is deffo the best freebie, but the interest is only 0.1% with this account.

i'm also in a dilemma over which to opt for..

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my upgrade form for my Barclays Bank and also applied online for the Natwest one

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.