Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Haine - Saïd)
    I sent off my upgrade form for my Barclays Bank and also applied online for the Natwest one
    thats what i did, before i opened 3 more of them lol

ReputationRep:
    I have a normal account with Barclays and have given these details for the student loan, how can I update this to a Student account??

ReputationRep:
    Upgrade in branch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Haine - Saïd)
    Right chaps, need some advice. Currently with Barclays with a normal account and have an excessive amount of savings in it. I'm thinking of opening an ISA or savings account to stick some of it in there but for now my main concern is getting a student account. To get one with Barclays would be the least hassle obviously and I'm guessing if I don't go with Barclays, I'll have to notify the loans company of new account details and what not which all seems a bit of effort so I need to know if it's worth it.

I can't see myself using my overdraft at all but I guess it's good to have it there just in case and for that Barclays sounds good enough, just that I don't think Barclays give any freebies apart from 'free cinema tickets and exciting discounts on well-known names' which basically sounds poo as the former will have some ridiculous clause and the latter will be a 5% discount off sportsworld.

I'm under the impression Natwest's highly publisized Free Railway Card offer is the best one to go for in terms of freebies, is this worth all the hassle of changing bank accounts? Could I even keep my student account with Barclays and open one with Natwest? How quickly would I be able to close the Natwest account after opening it?

Considering overdraft facilities aren't that important to me, any other accounts that I should be aware of? Maybe with great freebies or interest rates?
    I am in a very similar position. I have an account with Barclays at the moment but I'm not sure as to whether I want to get a student account with them or not.

Is it possible to have more than one student account? I think I'd like to open an account with Natwest - if I can't get a student account with Barclays as well then I'll either close the account and open a different savings account somewhere else or maybe leave my account with Barclays open for the moment.

With which bank is the student account better, Barclays or Natwest? I'm leaning towards Natwest because of the railcard.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest pretty much beats Barclays hands down.
    And btw apply online to Natwest and you get a free webcam as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Natwest pretty much beats Barclays hands down.
    And btw apply online to Natwest and you get a free webcam as well.
    Ooh, a webcam... I doubt I'd use it but you never know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go with lloyds tsb... free NUS extra card, free mobile insurance, upto £75 cash back, internet banking, not fussed about the overdraft, but upto £1500 is fine.. i hopefully won't even be overdrawn as i have some money already.

What you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds quite nice...hadnt heard of that one.

ReputationRep:
    I applied online with Natwest because HSBC were messing me around so much, but now I have sorted things out with HSBC and my account is upgraded, so I won't bother finishing the application process with Natwest. Aslong as I don't go into the branch and finish my application, ie. showing UCAS Confirmation, and taking in Passport etc, i'm sure they'll eventually disregard it?

ReputationRep:
    ^ What about if you phone them and tell them instead?

ReputationRep:
    That would probably be sensible lol! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Halifax have got a pretty good bank account that you should look at, but also they're doing a pretty cool competition at the moment to win £10,000! That equals a lot of good nights out this term, or your fees paid off if you're feeling sensible! Moderator edit: don't avoid the web filter.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, HSBC still messing me around, sent me another form to fill in, even though I already sorted all that 2 weeks ago, and even my local branch dn't get why they did it!! So gave that in Friday, and they said they'd send it to their HQ that night, but haven't heard anything since. All they need to do is an account upgrade, so surely it shouldn't take too long? Does anyone know how long they generally take? I know I should probably give it a bit longer, but am already fustrated because they've messed me around so much!!

ReputationRep:
    does Your student loan have to go into your student account?

Or is it ok if your student loan goes into your current account, and you have a seperate student account.

Its a small detail I know, but on my student loan form I supplied the details of my current account with HSBC, but I dont think Ill be getting a student account with them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsychadelicTreeHugger)
    does Your student loan have to go into your student account?

Or is it ok if your student loan goes into your current account, and you have a seperate student account.

Its a small detail I know, but on my student loan form I supplied the details of my current account with HSBC, but I dont think Ill be getting a student account with them....
    It doesnt have to go into your student account although some accounts have it in their terms&conditions that it must if you want an account with them.

You can change where the loan goes online once you have the new account details (allow a few days for it to change in their system.)

ReputationRep:
    If applying for a NatWest student account, you need to do it between the hours of 06:30 and 21:45...as I just found out...at 21:55

ReputationRep:
    general student bank account question;
    with the overdraft, what happens after you finish uni?
    do you have to pay it off [the overdraft] in a given period of time? Does it suddenly start gaining interest once you're no longer a student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stepheh)
    general student bank account question;
    with the overdraft, what happens after you finish uni?
    do you have to pay it off [the overdraft] in a given period of time? Does it suddenly start gaining interest once you're no longer a student?
    Depends on the terms of the account. Most gradually reduce the amount which is interest-free over the first year or two after you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    The banks don't really seem to be offering much at the moment, all I can find is HSBC will give you £15 back from when you paid your UCAS fee, and Lloyds TSB, which does acutally look quite good - they offer £70 cashback, free mobile phone insurace for a year and some other stuff. What about all the others though? I remember last year seeing all the free goodies the banks offered, especially Natwest's railcard, but I can't find that now.

Also, can you have student accounts with different banks? My bank manager told me he opened up three accounts and just transferred a bit of his loan into each, and seeing as I will be putting my loan into an ISA anyway, I don't see how this wouldn't work. Can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    The banks don't really seem to be offering much at the moment, all I can find is HSBC will give you £15 back from when you paid your UCAS fee, and Lloyds TSB, which does acutally look quite good - they offer £70 cashback, free mobile phone insurace for a year and some other stuff. What about all the others though? I remember last year seeing all the free goodies the banks offered, especially Natwest's railcard, but I can't find that now.

Also, can you have student accounts with different banks? My bank manager told me he opened up three accounts and just transferred a bit of his loan into each, and seeing as I will be putting my loan into an ISA anyway, I don't see how this wouldn't work. Can anyone confirm this?
    Your too early, most of the offers normally don't start until June/July or later.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.