Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Your too early, most of the offers normally don't start until June/July or later.
    Ahh I did think that, well I might as well wait then as I am in no hurry.

Anyone know whether you can have more than one student account then? I thought about having one with each bank. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    From my experience this past year:

Basically yes.
    They say no but they cant really do jack about it so have as many as you can be bothered with.

ReputationRep:
    You're not meant to have more than one student account. (or so I'm told)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    From my experience this past year:

Basically yes.
    They say no but they cant really do jack about it so have as many as you can be bothered with.
    The condition on student accounts is that you have your loans/grants and income paid into it. Whether the banks check this or not is probably another issue.

RBS offer £100 - and state something about studying in Scotland or being Scottish, but when I rang them up they didn't even know about that (though it clearly states on their website so).

ReputationRep:
    i went today to my local barclays bank and wanted to open student account but they told my my ucas letter is too old i received it in 2006, they ask me to call ucas and ask them to send me new letter which confirm my studies. Are they messing me around?? any help please??

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any confirmation of student status like a letter from the uni more recently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Admonitor)
    Do you have any confirmation of student status like a letter from the uni more recently?
    yes, i did show them it, the letter from uni says when i started and when i will finish my uni. The guy told me it is very easy to do fake later. So he wants to see it from ucas. Are they bull****ting me?

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. Surely either a letter from the university or even your student ID card should be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Admonitor)
    That's ridiculous. Surely either a letter from the university or even your student ID card should be enough?
    yeah the website says

To confirm where you live, we need one of the following:
    Student accounts - UCAS letter with name and address. If you don't have a copy of one of your UCAS letters, bring another form of address verification below and proof that you're a student (eg student ID card).

ReputationRep:
    ...So I sent off information about my parent's earnings for maintenance/student loan,etc...Do I still need to apply for a student bank account? I'm confused. Will I get the money through the government/local authority or do I get the money through my bank. Either way I need to pay it back I know that much.

ReputationRep:
    If i apply for my student loan on a normal savings account can i change the account later? I still havn't opened a student account. What will my disadvantages be?

Any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I agree moneysavingexpert has good comparisons, this one has comparisons as well thought it was useful http://moneycentral.moneyextra.com/studentaccounts/
    Also these places have useful info on choosing student accounts in the UK
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/student
    http://uk.moneto.eu/investment/student-accounts/
    I like HSBC because of the MP3 though...their marketing definitely got me hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swifter)
    If i apply for my student loan on a normal savings account can i change the account later? I still havn't opened a student account. What will my disadvantages be?

Any help appreciated.
    You can apply using a savings account for now and then change it online later or by calling them.

There will be lots of advantages to having a student account or even just a normal current account over a saving account:

Debit Card
    Chequebook
    Direct Debits
    Overdraft
    Any Freebies the banks maybe offering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauryloo)
    ...So I sent off information about my parent's earnings for maintenance/student loan,etc...Do I still need to apply for a student bank account? I'm confused. Will I get the money through the government/local authority or do I get the money through my bank. Either way I need to pay it back I know that much.
    You will need a bank account (student bank account would probably be best) if you don't have one already. The money will come from the government/local authority and they'll put the money in your bank account.

ReputationRep:
    im still doin my application, im upto bank details, im still not sure weather to choose between rbs or tsb? any ideas? also on dis section it asks for three things sort code, account numba (i fink) and building society roll number,
    i dont knw what is the roll number or wher 2 find it on any of my letters of bank statements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra2)
    im still doin my application, im upto bank details, im still not sure weather to choose between rbs or tsb? any ideas? also on dis section it asks for three things sort code, account numba (i fink) and building society roll number,
    i dont knw what is the roll number or wher 2 find it on any of my letters of bank statements?
    If you have a current account, you need to put in the sort code and account number. If you have a building society account, put the building society roll number. You don't need to do both.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks katherine, so from my sort code n acount number they can figure out which bank im with aswell, wat about rbs vs tsb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra2)
    ok thanks katherine, so from my sort code n acount number they can figure out which bank im with aswell, wat about rbs vs tsb?
    Yeah, they use that to find out what bank it is. I'm not sure about which bank to choose, it depends what you want from it. If you need a bigger overdraft, compare those. Or if you want extras or incentives, compare those too.

ReputationRep:
    Some links are 5 years out-of-date! Please update!

ReputationRep:
    Why is no one interested in NatWest, thats where I am going, you get a free railcard thingy-majig, surely thats better than an mp3 player!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.