Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    don't you have to commit to one (as in put a certain amount of cash in) or something?
    not really.

ReputationRep:
    i just applied and they said that until you get your unconditional offer ie get the grades in a few weeks' time i won't receive any of the freebies so i have to wait til 18th august is it til i get my CD's so it could be that. i already have a railcard and hsbc have been really good for all my friends and family dozy here stayed with nationwide til now ie the company that murdered a duck for an advert.

ReputationRep:
    I got £50 cash from HSBC 'cos I said I didn't want the cds or mp3 player

ReputationRep:
    I'm gettin' myself an mp3 player. Haven't sent the form off yet though. =0

ReputationRep:
    its www.cdwow.com, by the way. in the hsbc literature it said u wont have to wait for confirmation of your grades to get the cds/mp3 player, so just be patient.

and hsbc used to do a student rail card, but with the info they sent me about my student account, it doesnt look like they do one anymore. if thats the case im definately opening a natwest one. rail travel is so expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Halifax Student Account - it's like really easy to set up you just take say a birth certificate down there and they set it up really really quickly (only took me like 10 minutes). Haven't had any horrors, everything's been going fine (and the cards got a nice design :p: )

But yeah here: http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/student.shtml
    they have a wonderfully sized overdraft ive applied for both halifax and HSBC (though i was disappointed to find they werent doing the railcard). i already have a savings account with HSBC and theyve been really good for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    you can set up two accounts at natwest and hsbc and bag all the freebies.
    not possible as you have to supply them with your ucas number

ReputationRep:
    i cant apply for a natwest account because my first year is my art and design foundation which is classed as further not higher education. why will HSBC accept it but not them?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I just wanted to know if anyone has applied for the halifax student account? if so what was the procedure once you filled in your online application?, i.e when were you sent your card and pin?

ReputationRep:
    i have an account but no mp3 player *feels unloved*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Are there any other people here who use this account?

I copied and pasted this from the "Account Details" section of the online banking system (some details removed by myself):

Account Name
    Account Type
    STUDENT A/C
    Sort Code
    Account Number
    Balance
    £ 40.00 C
    Available Balance
    £ 1032.76 C
    As At
    25 Jul 2005 11:26
    Overdraft Limit
    £ 1000
    My problem is... I didn't think I was supposed to have an overdraft yet, as my place hasn't been confirmed! :confused:

They did send me a letter about an overdraft, but it said my limit was "0", so I ignored it. Could someone please explain what's going on? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    So does everyone agree that Barclays and HSBC are the top two accounts??
    I have no idea which one has the best deal, so any people currently at uni if you have a good account please post it up here! :p:

ReputationRep:
    maybe you just got lucky?

Wouldn't worry too much- i'm with HSBC, had good service
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ynox)
    maybe you just got lucky?

Wouldn't worry too much- i'm with HSBC, had good service
    I don't wanna use it though, in case they twig I'm not supposed to have one, and ask me to pay it back!

ReputationRep:
    so is HSBC good then? im thinking of getting a student account with them but im not 100% sure yet!
    Anyone ahd bad experiences with them?

ReputationRep:
    I've signed up for NatWest - YP's railcard free for 5 years

I've got a £500 overdraft atm, but i can increase it :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by poptart86)
    so is HSBC good then? im thinking of getting a student account with them but im not 100% sure yet!
    Anyone ahd bad experiences with them?
    Well the only bad experience I had with them was them refusing to give me any sort of student account on the grounds that I was under 18 at the time of starting university. I could have applied for one in January when I turned 18 but they wouldn't have given me the freebies (which is really the main incentive!). So that kinda prevented any future bad experiences with them...!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering, i think choose natwest cause ill use the railcard, but if people could put there banks they are having the student loan in down and why. would be quite useful

ill add more banks on request

think thats all
    amo1
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by amo1)
    i was just wondering, i think choose natwest cause ill use the railcard, but if people could put there banks they are having the student loan in down and why. would be quite useful

ill add more banks on request

think thats all
    amo1
    I've got a student bank account with NatWest which I use for my general banking (e.g. buying food, going out, etc.) but I put my student loan in a high-interest account with the Coventry Building Society where it is gradually accumulating interest for me...
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Nationwide. Its never let me down :cool:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.