Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] Watch

john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Well, your overdraft increases while you're a student. So say you end up with a £2000 overdraft. The next summer sometime it will decrease by £500 to £1500. Then the year after, it goes down to £1000 etc.

The exact amount and date it decreases will vary though.
Ok cheers..so you have to pay it off every year?
Asphyxiating
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can get such Mp3s on Ebay for like 25 quid inc. p&p and 5 quid/cd so wouldn't it be better to get the 50 pounds cash? lol
girlpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
gone for HSBC, with the free £50, and £1000 overdraft, hopes theres no catch
Wrinkles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am with Lloyds TSB at the mo and when I applied for a student loan, I entered my current account number on the form, I am going to open a student account with HSBC, do I need to inform the student laon company about this change? if so, do i just phone them?
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well I did this a few months ago, and the SLC sent me a confirmation letter saying that my LEA passed on my details etc, and the letter also had a change of bank details form. I had done the same as you, i.e. put my current a/c details on my original loan application form, and then got a student a/c after I sent it off. I just filled in that extra form with the SLC letter and they sorted it in a week or so.

If you don't have that letter, just call them- they'll be used to this kind of thing and will oblige.
_poptart_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Asphyxiating)
You can get such Mp3s on Ebay for like 25 quid inc. p&p and 5 quid/cd so wouldn't it be better to get the 50 pounds cash? lol
Yeah, I bought one that looks identical to it on ebay, cost me about £30. So ive chosen the free £50 option with my HSBC account
Wrinkles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Well I did this a few months ago, and the SLC sent me a confirmation letter saying that my LEA passed on my details etc, and the letter also had a change of bank details form. I had done the same as you, i.e. put my current a/c details on my original loan application form, and then got a student a/c after I sent it off. I just filled in that extra form with the SLC letter and they sorted it in a week or so.

If you don't have that letter, just call them- they'll be used to this kind of thing and will oblige.

Thanks
nic_k_s
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
does anyone use the co-operative student account? is it any good?
PapeeChumo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hello peeps,

I was wondering if anyone can help me?, please!

I just wanted to know what you hav to take to the bank for proof of address?

and just wanted to know what the procedure is like.
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Aj)
Hello peeps,

I was wondering if anyone can help me?, please!

I just wanted to know what you hav to take to the bank for proof of address?

and just wanted to know what the procedure is like.
Something official with your address on basically - your bank probably has a list of suitable documents on their website somewhere or could provide you with one if you asked. The classic ones are things like utility or phone bills or other bank statements.
Jenn xx
PapeeChumo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JennLlama)
Something official with your address on basically - your bank probably has a list of suitable documents on their website somewhere or could provide you with one if you asked. The classic ones are things like utility or phone bills or other bank statements.
Jenn xx

Thanks
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
HSBC have annoyed me already. I applied for a student account online, last week, and today I got a letter saying "Thank you for your application to our Gap Year Service." I AM NOT HAVING A GAP YEAR. I know it might've been me who made a mistake, but I swear I didn't!
Reema
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Need help - I have a "Right Track" student account with HSBC from when I was 17 (ie was intending to be but not in the UCAS process). Does this automatically turn into a student account - the lady in the bank, I swear, told me it did, or do I have to manually do it myself? I don't trust these bloody bank people...
And does that mean I am not eligible for 10 cd/£50/MP3 player?
switch007
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I applied for a student account at Natwest as i already have an account there, and she said i would need to show my results for it to be upgraded, but i filled out the form etc ready to upgrade.

Checked my account online this morning, and two new accounts have appeared each with a £1250 overdraft! :confused:
Filibuster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by switch007)
I applied for a student account at Natwest as i already have an account there, and she said i would need to show my results for it to be upgraded, but i filled out the form etc ready to upgrade.

Checked my account online this morning, and two new accounts have appeared each with a £1250 overdraft! :confused:
What I would advise you to do is to get a pen, pref black and paper. Then number the left hand side of this paper, starting with number 1. Those £100 diesel jeans, 2. weekend for two in prague, 3. 5 cds from Virgin, 4. etc etc etc.
Now that was easy.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmmm you;re PROBABLY going to have to go down there in person at some point aren't you? o show them id or something maybe? in which case i would say home branch! I'm opening one with natwest too prolly do it tomorrow as long as my reading ticket comes early enough (i have to wait aorund while they deleiver it to sign for it grrrr)
sparklyglitter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
hmmm you;re PROBABLY going to have to go down there in person at some point aren't you? o show them id or something maybe? in which case i would say home branch! I'm opening one with natwest too prolly do it tomorrow as long as my reading ticket comes early enough (i have to wait aorund while they deleiver it to sign for it grrrr)
Yeah I figured that hahahaha.Silly mee...not thinking.

Hmm,can anyone tell me what the hell a "service card" is?

Natwest are asking me if I want one!
switch007
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think a service card is a debit card and check guarantee card in one. Just checked my account again and i now have 1 extra account still with the overdraft.

This may have already been asked/answered, but when do you have to pay the overdraft back?
sparklyglitter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah I see OK.Thank you.

With the overdraft I don't know when you HAVE to pay it back but it might be advisable to do so in the summer hols or ASAP or it will affect how much you can go over in the following year.
sparklyglitter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OK I am officially stupid.It is now asking me how much my income is per term and it's a mandatory field?How am I supposed to know?Should I put 0 or should I guess?Would putting 0 mean I don't get an overdraft?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (349)
45.68%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (235)
30.76%
I don't have an opinion (180)
23.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise