Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Account Links [merged thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    oh **** god i hope they dont ak me these questions when i do it! :eek: o glad im doing it in person!

you're income per term must have somehting to do with the amount of student loan you're getting and any money off you're rentals?

ReputationRep:
    I know but I don't know that so I don't know what to put.I guess I should just guess what my income is.I haven't had my student loan stuff through yet(they received it on July 1st-bang on the deadline...)....so hmm...I'll guess.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know what card you get with abbey?

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, just wondering if anyones heard about this recently?

(Halifax (and BOS i think) offering £1750 interest free overdraft in first year increasing to £2100 in third ... (http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccount...intsrc=promo3A))

Seems like quite a new thing as im pretty sure this wasnt on there last month when i checked? its a pretty close call between Natwest and Halifax for me so this could sway things !

whats the catch!? :p: :confused:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TKR)
    anyone know what card you get with abbey?
    Visa debit card

ReputationRep:
    When I received that UCAS letter with the Natwest offer I thought I would open an account, mainly for the railcard but also it just seemed like a very good deal.

So I sent away the necessary forms, and about 14 days ago I got a letter which told me my account had been opened and gave me the account number and sort code.

Since then I have heard nothing. No card, cheque book, overdraft facility, how to get the railcard. I am aware this wont happen until I get into a university, however I expected a ''what to do now'' type leaflet.

Anyone else had the same kind of problem?

ReputationRep:
    Im going to apply for one of them accounts... it would probably best just to go into your nearest natwest and ask. they will prob av a look for ya!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worried_mess)
    When I received that UCAS letter with the Natwest offer I thought I would open an account, mainly for the railcard but also it just seemed like a very good deal.

So I sent away the necessary forms, and about 14 days ago I got a letter which told me my account had been opened and gave me the account number and sort code.

Since then I have heard nothing. No card, cheque book, overdraft facility, how to get the railcard. I am aware this wont happen until I get into a university, however I expected a ''what to do now'' type leaflet.

Anyone else had the same kind of problem?
    i tried opening an account with them but they wouldnt accept the documents that i was giving them. for some reason they wanted utility bills etc for proof of address etc...

what documents did u send off??

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation but I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet. I think you'll have to wait until you get accepted before they start sending you more details.

ReputationRep:
    i sent all my stuff off ages ago. rail card takes a while to come through. My card and cheque book came through pretty quickly. Go in and see them! demand some action be taken pronto!

ReputationRep:
    they wont give you an overdraft facility until you have an uncoditional offer from your university. as for the others you should get them soon, but the best thing to do as said is to go in and see them at your branch

ReputationRep:
    I have an account. I got a letter confirming it, went into the branch, asked to pick up my stuff as the letter said, they referred me to another branch about 5 minutes walk away, I got to the other branch, and they said it hadn't been ordered yet, contrary to what the letter said. Anyway, this girl ordered it from the store, and it arrived two days later, chequebook and all.

I sent off for the railcard, and have heard nothing about that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys - which bank accounts are y'all applying for to look after all the money that gets thrown at us students (LOL!)? I was looking at NatWest with their RailCard offer, they seem to have decent overdraft limits that increase by £250 per year from £1250 in the first year, just in case of emergency eh? But then HSBC are well known for decent student accounts! Need to sort it soon!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You might find this thread helpful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t129201.html
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    I got one and it sucks...i got over 10k in there and my interest is like 15p every 4 months.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I got one and it sucks...i got over 10k in there and my interest is like 15p every 4 months.
    If you want to save large amounts of money then don't go for a student account! Get something like an ISA or get an online savings account - I've got a good one with the Coventry Building Society, and ING Direct have a high rate of interest but really p*ssed me off by messing me around and closing my account without telling me, so I wouldn't recommend them. The student accounts are really only good for the freebies and the interest free overdraft.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    i opened my Natwest account about 2 weeks ago. a few days later i received my cheque book and then my servicecard came a few days after that. just sent off for my railcard.
    u need to show them your ucas acceptance letter, drivers licence and passport or 2 other forms of identification i guess.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I opened a Natwest account, and it all went wrong. And the man I spoke to on the phone about it last year on the complaints line didn't sound too surprised that I was having problems with my student account.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Read this!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This is a really great article telling you about all of the student accounts available!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.