Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've got student accounts with HSBC, natwest and barclays. All up running and fully operational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    i've got student accounts with HSBC, natwest and barclays. All up running and fully operational.
    As far as I know all those banks specify that you aren't allowed studnet accounts with any other banks......

And apparently they have ways of finding these things out.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me how i get my student loan in a high interest account but keep my natwest student account- i also want to use Coventry but not sure who i ask to change details etcc... im so confused!!!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nuttytart)
    Can someone explain to me how i get my student loan in a high interest account but keep my natwest student account- i also want to use Coventry but not sure who i ask to change details etcc... im so confused!!!!
    You get your loan paid into your Natwest account. Then, you transfer it into your high interest bank account (it's easiest if you can do online banking or write yourself a cheque).

Or, you could get your loan paid into your high interest bank account and set up a direct debit if it's available into your Natwest account. Then you can set yourself so much a month to live on and can't really go over.

ReputationRep:
    what are the "high interest" bank accounts at the minute?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by themesong)
    what are the "high interest" bank accounts at the minute?
    See here

ReputationRep:
    cheers for that i think im going to go with the coventry, i had an account with them years ago but closed it went my money went lol !

ReputationRep:
    what the worst they can do if they find out? barclays know already that i have another student account and there fine with it!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Shelbycakes)
    what the worst they can do if they find out? barclays know already that i have another student account and there fine with it!
    Close your account and demand immedaite repayment of the loan. If you can't pay they can take you to court and that will damage your credit file so that you will find it difficult (if not impossible) to get credit in future.

They might also charge you normal interest rates on the overdraft and post date that.

ReputationRep:
    So who have you guys opened your bank accounts with? Or who do you intend?

Heres a brief summary of each for those who are stil unsure, like myself.

Barclays
    Initial £200 interest-free overdraft on account opening, with further interest-free limits available up to £2,000.
    Student Relationship Managers in selected branches.
    VISA Connect card with daily withdrawal limit of £300.
    Freebies Free mobile phone insurance for your first year of study (ends 30 September 2006), 20% discount at selected restaurants and on great days out, 10% discount at all:sports on most purchases, Three-year National Express Coachcard offering UK discounts, Commission-free travel currency** with free home delivery.

Halifax
    Intrest free overdraft of £1750 in the first year, £1900 in the second year, and £2100 from the 3 years onwards.
    Free online banking and the option to receive your statements online.
    Use any Halifax, Bank of Scotland or LINK cash machines in the UK
    Guarantee cheques up to £100.
    Freebies Erm...

HSBC
    £1000 interest free overdraft** in your first year.
    Debit and credit cards.
    Price Promise Insurance – to ensure you don't pay over the odds for what you buy.
    Freebies10 CDs OR A 512 mb MP3 player, Get a free BSM driving lesson and £15 off the cost of your next five lessons, 20% off Lonely Planet Guidebooks, 15% off @ ASOS.com, Get chart CDs for £8.25, 25% off RAC Breakdown cover, 10% off Blockbuster, 15% off Kitbag.com

Lloyds TSB
    An interest-free overdraft of up to £1,000 in your first year at college, £1,250 in the second year, £1,500 in year 3 and up to £2,000 in years 4 and 5.
    Personal advice from our specially trained Student Banking telephone team.
    Internet banking and PhoneBank Express telephone banking facilities, so you can do your banking when it suits you.
    Freebies /

Natwest
    More on-site machines than any other bank.
    Student Advisers to give you practical advice on money management.
    24-hour banking to manage your money day and night, with OnLine Banking, by phone with Actionline or by using one of our 43,000 cash machines around the UK.
    Freebies Get a free 5-year Young Persons Railcard worth £100 when you open a Student Account,

Smile.co.uk
    £1000 Free over draft in the 1st year, £1400 in second year, £1,800 in third year.
    24/7 Contol with online banking
    Freebies ... a cheque book?

Sorry if that looks biased at all, just some sites were easy to grab information than others.

So who have you/will you choose?

ReputationRep:
    Not chosen yet as I still haven't heard from the loans people...but will be going for Natwest I think...that rail card will come in very handy!

ReputationRep:
    i'm going with barcleys. come on people FREE NATIONAL EXPRESS discount card. train tickets are so expensive in comparision to coach tickets. thats why im going uni by coach. although, the megabus is rather cheap too.

ReputationRep:
    wait.. actually.. im going with hsbc. the national express card costs £10 a year, so it isnt really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with Natwest. I hope there's no catch though, the free five-year young person's railcard just seems a little too good to be true...

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just open one of each. This is what im gonna do :tsr:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Can't you just open one of each. This is what im gonna do :tsr:
    You're not supposed to, as it's against most T&Cs

ReputationRep:
    most people use HSBC And natwest accounts, u gotto remember and try get one in a location close to you, NATWEST is the only on campus bank in the uk (i might be wrong)
    but if u have to go to the bank lots open it with the one oncampus, it makes everything so easy, thats the only reason im with natwest,(and they gave me £50) anyway the best benifit from the accounts is the 4/5 year rail card, dont know who is doing it this year, beats paying 20£ a year for it, when its free,and the only other offer is a kettle and toaster,

if u dont ever need to go to the bank very much or only ever use online /telephone banking then go with the one that gives u the best offers,

SMILE is a good one to go for as well if u dont mind online banking, they arent going to give u a rail card or a fancy CD but the intrest rates for when u actually have money are much higher then anyother bank..
    http://www.smile.co.uk/student.html?loc=l

and if u can manage to pay ur fees and rent at the last min, u'r sorted.

anyway have a look around and go for the one that going to suit u the most,

im with natwest - they had a natwest branch in my building, just made it easy. i mite switch to hsbc tho, ive just got a job with them and ill get to see what they offer as staff accounts.

hope you all the best...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Natwest are not the only on campus bank, they just have more banks on campus than anyone else.

Also, if you open it now then you'll be opening it at home, so try to find one that's near there too. Unless you're gonna be paying in a lot of cheques or whatever you won't be needing to go to the branch much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest are not the only on campus bank, they just have more banks on campus than anyone else.
    i thought i was wrong, im sure notts trent have a hsbc in tthe su building.

(just out of cursoity anyone with halifax) a friend of mine is with then and he says they suck, all the time, but i guess every bank has customers that dont like them, cant keep every1 hapy all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Barclays don't seem to offer much but are deffo the nicest to deal with! While back in Blighty on holiday last week I went to try and open an account with Natwest (still have a house in England so technically still resident there) and they were SO unhelpful that I just said "forget it" and trotted off to HSBC who told me they don't open student accounts in branches and I needed to go on the internet to do it (but then someone posted earlier that they make you take the forms into a branch anyway to wtf is the point of that rule). Barclays....what stars. Ok the freebies are pretty pap but they were so much more friendly...and the cards have arrived already.

On the subject of SMILE they are GREAT to bank with, I have a normal (grown up lol) current account with them and their customer service is fantastic. The only reason I didn't go to them for my student account is I was worried they'd take my credit card and HUUUUGE overdraft off my current account if they knew I wasn't working

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.