Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

Poo.

ReputationRep:
    I will live in GDS too, and I'm sure any accomodation is what you make of it.

things that make me more worried are: is there really no bed linen provided? do i have to bring my own pillows and things like that?
    what about pots / kitchen stuff?

feel free to contact me and say hello, GDS-people

ReputationRep:
    Londo, so even though the programs end in Oct or late Sept, you are only required to be there until July? If you do wish to stay there to work on your dissertation, would you have to find alternate accomodation for those months? I'm so confused as to why they'd have a course run till Sept 30 and have residence (which prefers post grads) end in july...unless, in fact, we only stay till July...what do most students do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andromedea)
    I will live in GDS too, and I'm sure any accomodation is what you make of it.

things that make me more worried are: is there really no bed linen provided? do i have to bring my own pillows and things like that?
    what about pots / kitchen stuff?

feel free to contact me and say hello, GDS-people
    I believe thats right. There is a 'GDS' site on the LSE pages and it tells you what they provide and what we'd have to bring. It's under FAQ's on the GDS page from the Accomodation page @ LSE. Good luck and I do believe that pots etc. are our own responsibility as well as pillows and the like...check out the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjkara)
    Londo, so even though the programs end in Oct or late Sept, you are only required to be there until July? If you do wish to stay there to work on your dissertation, would you have to find alternate accomodation for those months? I'm so confused as to why they'd have a course run till Sept 30 and have residence (which prefers post grads) end in july...unless, in fact, we only stay till July...what do most students do?

The accommodation you are paying for now may end in July but you can always ask for an extension until the end of September. You'll just have to pay extra for that period. Usually halls don't allow studnets to stay during the summer but if you have a valid acedemic reason then they should let you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know what others did, I left but you can stay in the halls if really believe that you should stay in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londo)
    Don't know what others did, I left but you can stay in the halls if really believe that you should stay in London.
    But you don't have to, correct? As of July, you can do what you need as long as you get the dissertation in on time? Thanks everyone, great help!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's replied as to how far GDS is from LSE by tube or bus? I checked the LSE site - a 35 minute walk: what does that mean for us travelling by tube/bus?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's replied as to how far GDS is from LSE by tube or bus? I checked the LSE site - a 35 minute walk: what does that mean for us travelling by tube/bus?
    www.tfl.gov.uk

ReputationRep:
    I am an old (er) undergraduate (gap year) doing IR. We can have fun, its only a matter of having the right attitude

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted at Great Dover just now, and managed to void my private contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I got accepted at Great Dover just now, and managed to void my private contract.

Bismarck, my friend: is it GDS for you as well next year?!? With all the posts in this topic, I think GDS will be perfectly fine next year and we ought not worry...I think others are making more of a mess out of everything than the real situation warrants. Let's get together very early in the start of term and figure out common interests etc....I think that the pub will be a great place to drink/socialize as well as host poker tourneys (oh god, please tell me at least a cpl of you play poker?!?!?! :confused: )

Well, excited to meet everyone. What time are you all heading to GDS on check-in day seeing as how registration is also the 21st starting at 10am?

ReputationRep:
    Bismarck, my friend: is it GDS for you as well next year?!? With all the posts in this topic, I think GDS will be perfectly fine next year and we ought not worry...I think others are making more of a mess out of everything than the real situation warrants. Let's get together very early in the start of term and figure out common interests etc....I think that the pub will be a great place to drink/socialize as well as host poker tourneys (oh god, please tell me at least a cpl of you play poker?!?!?! :confused: )

Well, excited to meet everyone. What time are you all heading to GDS on check-in day seeing as how registration is also the 21st starting at 10am?
    Isn't registration on the 25th September for GDS? :confused:

ReputationRep:

Yeah, we can arrange to always walk in pairs to avoid getting mugged.

Any idea if I place a date of arrival earlier than the 21st if I'm still guaranteed to get a place on whatever date I choose?

Which kind of poker do you play? There are too many types here in the US, and I can't keep track with all of them.

(Original post by ellomoto)
    Isn't registration on the 25th September for GDS? :confused:
    21st for postgrads.

ReputationRep:
    I would be very willing to learn

ReputationRep:
    Learn to play poker or learn to get mugged? :angel:

ReputationRep:
    Both would be useful skills to have but I in this case I meant the poker, although if anybody professes skills in mugging I would be more than willing to learn

ReputationRep:
    Hello all GDS fellows,
    21st for postgrads yes. I think we ought to get ourselves organized: I offer tutorials in poker (texas hold'em mainly, but i know others) as well as mugging lessons...only 5 pounds per month and I keep what I mugg off you...deal?!?!?!?!

Bismarck, when are you registering on the 21st -- what time? Are you checking in first (unless you get in early) or are you registering first? Most likely, you'll get in early if you requested it - more money in their pocket.

Sofie, your first lesson -- in both -- are free...beginners special!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all GDS fellows,
    21st for postgrads yes. I think we ought to get ourselves organized: I offer tutorials in poker (texas hold'em mainly, but i know others) as well as mugging lessons...only 5 pounds per month and I keep what I mugg off you...deal?!?!?!?!

Bismarck, when are you registering on the 21st -- what time? Are you checking in first (unless you get in early) or are you registering first? Most likely, you'll get in early if you requested it - more money in their pocket.

Sofie, your first lesson -- in both -- are free...beginners special!
    I'm getting into London at ~11:00-12:00 on the 21st. No idea how long it takes to get from the airport to the place (might look around town before going to the dorm). I assume I'll be there by 4 or 5 PM at the latest. You?

Any idea how much it costs to get from Heathrow (assuming it's not on strike :rolleyes: ) to Great Dover by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I am flattered by your offer; good teachers in both disciplines are so hard to come by

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 20, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.