Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I'm getting into London at ~11:00-12:00 on the 21st. No idea how long it takes to get from the airport to the place (might look around town before going to the dorm). I assume I'll be there by 4 or 5 PM at the latest. You?

Any idea how much it costs to get from Heathrow (assuming it's not on strike :rolleyes: ) to Great Dover by the way?
    My aunt, who is in no way an authority, says 40 pounds would be a nice 'over' estimate of taxi costs from Heathrow...accurate: no idea! Also, I'll be getting to registration quite early - perhaps 10am - to get it all over with etc. Economic History joined the pilot project system and it seems once I register I sign up for my courses etc. using the online portal - - not sure about other subjects though. I'll likely check in either right before registration (very early) or after reg ... which ever makes more sense closer to the day. Good luck to all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjkara)
    My aunt, who is in no way an authority, says 40 pounds would be a nice 'over' estimate of taxi costs from Heathrow...accurate: no idea! Also, I'll be getting to registration quite early - perhaps 10am - to get it all over with etc. Economic History joined the pilot project system and it seems once I register I sign up for my courses etc. using the online portal - - not sure about other subjects though. I'll likely check in either right before registration (very early) or after reg ... which ever makes more sense closer to the day. Good luck to all...
    She is right, it will cost about £40 from Heathrow to Central London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjkara)
    And I thought paying $40 to get to JFK was a rip off...

How long does it take to get from the airport to the main part of the city?

To those who don't make it, think on the bright side, you won't have to pay 40 pounds for the cab.

ReputationRep:
    I think most of the undergrads (including me) will come some time on Sunday the 25th, so why don’t we go out and get to know our local pub on Sunday? Have some drinks, play some poker When I was in Africa one of the British Volunteers mentioned something along the lines that Sunday is the new Saturday (whatever that means :confused: ) so hopefully our friendly local pub will be open, if not this is a perfect chance to cozy up our own bar ( we do have a bar right?) I'm up for anything.

I will probably get the Heathrow Express from Heathrow to Paddington Station and making the rest of the way by the tube. The instruction are on the GDS website, don’t really fancy spending 40+ pounds on a cab :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What a good way to start off an academic year: get so drunk that you won't remember the entire year. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think Sofie and Bismarck are on the right track: starting a social scene early (one that includes a fair bit of 'sauce') is a healthy and fun way to enjoy our time at GDS...a local pub or our own on that Sunday sounds great : good time for Postgrads and the underlings (I mean undergrads) to intermingle....see you all then...I guess we'll have to keep up contact through this site or by some other means when we're at GDS...perhaps a welcome train when undergrads arrive...haha...we'll see...

ReputationRep:
    You can also take the Piccadilly line in from Heathrow for £5(ish)

ReputationRep:
    Can we stop having serious conversations please. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Researcher Lond)
    Can we stop having serious conversations please. Thanks.
    :laugh:

You're starting to sound more like me now! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    :laugh:

You're starting to sound more like me now! :rolleyes:
    And so the sabotage of a perfectly decent thread begins!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I won't post anymore...

ReputationRep:
    Why do I get the feeling that you two have been taking my advice for the last few days?

ReputationRep:
    I got rez in GDS for this yr, seems like an alright place...
    rjkara.. Im also coming to LSE from Canada.. did my undergrad at York U. seems like there arent too many Cdns going down to lse on this forum though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKS_04)
    I got rez in GDS for this yr, seems like an alright place...
    rjkara.. Im also coming to LSE from Canada.. did my undergrad at York U. seems like there arent too many Cdns going down to lse on this forum though..
    Good on you AKS...York's a good school, what'd you take there? You might have read in my signature that I went to Trent (in peterborough), it's super small but I loved it....did business there. Congrats to a fellow Canadian on a job well done!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I also did my undergrad in Business with a specialization in HRM. Yeah I heard Trent is a pretty small school, York has around 50,000 students, so its gonna be a pretty big change with LSE having around 8,000. congratz on your acceptance as well!

ReputationRep:
    Check out the recent updates @ http://www.lse.ac.uk/accommodation/GD/main.htm (look under further information)

ReputationRep:
    hullo hullo,
    just received my offer for GDS today! it looks pretty nice, but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area around the hall?

Is it ok to wander around at night alone? (im thinking abt those semi drunk walks back fromt he night busstop)

ReputationRep:
    uh no not safe at night. if u have to come home late walk in groups. imo if ur drunk ur easier to mugg

ReputationRep:
    It's really THAT BAD of an area? Why would they put a residence in the middle of a 'bario'.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leifde)
    uh no not safe at night. if u have to come home late walk in groups. imo if ur drunk ur easier to mugg
    oh dear, really??
    I think I look like quite an easy target usually anyways... hows it compare to somewhere like.. Hackney Road?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 20, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.