Turn on thread page Beta

consentual sex and the age of consent watch

ReputationRep:
    lol. yeh i hav. dnt worry- im not shaggin/ goin out wit a 14 year old- i just saw the article and it made me think about what is more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzinio)
    do u guys think this is right for the 16 year old to be with the 14 year old like this?
    no. its illegal and cant be consensual...even if the two parties involved say it was.

ReputationRep:
    It's far too young, regardless of what the two involved think.

ReputationRep:
    There are 16 years old on the forum who are claiming it's fine...2 years is nothing. Of course it's not nothing.
    At 14, you're dumb, easily influencable, impressionable and don't understand the first thing about human relationships and how people can easily "use" other people. I would even argue that at 16, a lot of kids are still just as immature.
    It's easy to think you're all grown up but you're not.

Growing up never stops. Even when you're 18, you think you understand everything and a couple of years later, you realise how dumb you were.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i would agree with that. i think 14 is too young to be considering that because it is the same with nearly everybody: they look back and think how immature they were, and it is true, at that age you get easily swept in the idea someone likes you blah blah. Even tho this is jumping the gun abit, if you had children and they asked what age you were when you had sex, a reckon alot would be abit edgy if saying 14

ReputationRep:
    My sister is 14, she hasn't even got a remotely womanly figure yet, how can she be thinking about sex? :mad:

The age consent is sixteen, wait until its legal ffs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    My sister is 14, she hasn't even got a remotely womanly figure yet, how can she be thinking about sex? :mad:

The age consent is sixteen, wait until its legal ffs!
    But you have to remember than especially at that age, girls are at different levels of puberty, some will develop faster than others. Some 14 year old girls can pass for being 18..

ReputationRep:
    just because they may look older does not mean they are ready to have sex, or indeed be treated older than other less developed 14 yr olds based on looks

ReputationRep:
    you've got a point toiletwall, i mean i've met yr 7s taller than me but you wouldn't want them sitting a levels would you

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any of us really has the right to go around telling others at what age they're ready to have sex. Most people seem to think they're ready sooner than they actually are (remembering how my friends and I were at that age...), but ultimately you're the only person who can make that decision. I remember people telling me I was too young - and maybe I was - but I'm still glad that I made these choices for myself. I'm not saying I'm completely happy with the idea of a fourteen-year-old having sex - and I'd be even less so were it my daughter, or even my little sister - but it's still her decision. And thank whomever you like that we live in a country where safe sex is taught in schools!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ i do agree that only the person involved can make the decision and yeah some 14 yr olds prob are mature enough to do it. Do you think we should have an age of consent tho? cos some ppl would have sex before 16 just because they want to prove something, (again showing immaturity levels), and if there wasn't one people wouldn't treat it as such a big issue. ah this seems like a topic a new thread could be made by...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toiletwall)
    just because they may look older does not mean they are ready to have sex, or indeed be treated older than other less developed 14 yr olds based on looks
    Thats not the point i made. No where in that post did i say that. I was replying to the thread above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    but it's still her decision. And thank whomever you like that we live in a country where safe sex is taught in schools!
    Is it an 8 year old's decision when they get groomed by a paedophile? A kid that age thinks they know what they're doing too.

A 14 year old doesn't know what he/she is doing, that's the problem. How can you make a decision on something like that when you don't understand human relationships, you don't know that when someone asks for sex, you don't necessarily give in just to make them happy? When you don't know that someone will not necessarily like you more but instead will despise you if you sleep with them easily?
    A 14-year old doesn't understand the first thing about that: at that age you're just impressionable.

And the UK certainly is not a country where kids are aware of safe sex. It's one of the most ignorant countries when it comes to safe sex. Have a look at teenage pregnancy figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzinio)
    lol. mistake kiddies- there are plenty of those near where i live. yarmouth is the biggest **** hole on the east coast.
    No! It's Bolton I tells ya!

14 and 15 yo girls who would sleep with anyone...its crazy. Actually its like that in a few places, Barnsley etc but they're CHAVS in Barnsley. Slutty chavs! What will they think of next? Cheesy peas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenyth!)
    14 is way too early for consent. I also believe 16 is too. The consentual age in Canada is set at a lofty 18 years old.
    Not in Quebec though... at least I don't think so. I remember seeing a report in Maclean's and parents' attitudes towards their children having sex were totally different. Most parents in Quebec thought that by 16, it's ok for their kids... and in the rest of the country, it was basically 18, or not before marriage.

edit: hey for you, I even found the article
    http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/li...?content=72698

Look at the bottom.

And in Canada, the age of consent is 14 unless it changed recently...

ReputationRep:
    ok then, so what do u all think of other forms of intimate relations between say a 14 girl and 16 year old boy like kissing, oral etc? do u think that should even be acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    Madelyn - remind me to rep you.

I think you should all stop passing judgement on what every 14 year old is like, maybe you were too young at 14 and were dumb and impressionable, but that doesn't mean that everyone is. You can know about safe sex at that age and make a decision that is right for you. Obviously some people aren't ready for sex at that age, and perhaps they will regret it later in life.

I for one don't. xx

ReputationRep:
    14 is too young but i don't think it is right that we should lecture people on what they "should" do. In the end we are all individauls on this Earth and we all develop at different emotional levels. We humans do make mistakes and that is a fact we have to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    Don't people see that it is not always a mistake? Or is always wrong? I hate this, i'm fully aware i've personalised this a little bit, but when people ask me the dreaded, 'When did you lose yours?' question, i shouldn't feel like i have to lie. I'm not ashamed, yet look at you lot jusdging all the 14 year olds that you know nothing about. You just assume that they're stupid and don't know what they're doing, and because they're young that = prgnancy. Don't be so quick to judge. xx

This was not specifically directed at you Amlea. xx

ReputationRep:
    I think Madelyn was right in a way - if you feel you're old enough then thats all that matters - but it's illegal to sleep with someone under 16 so really its probably not worth the bother if you get caught. Having said that lots of people lose their virginity before they're 16, and lots of people wait until they're much older but I think that 9 times out of 10 people would say they were too young. All my friends say that (except one but she's been dying to lose it since she was about 11) and I know I was too young.
    I'm not sure what my point is :confused: but it made sense to me

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.