Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started the new maths syllabus in Sept (C1, c2 and m1) and have just taken my AS level exams in that. If I continue maths to A2, could I take 3 more modules and make up AS further maths? For A2 maths I would take c3, c4 and m2.

Could I make up the AS Further maths with m3, m4 and s1? Or are there more pure modules I would have to take?

Hope someone can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    I started the new maths syllabus in Sept (C1, c2 and m1) and have just taken my AS level exams in that. If I continue maths to A2, could I take 3 more modules and make up AS further maths? For A2 maths I would take c3, c4 and m2.

Could I make up the AS Further maths with m3, m4 and s1? Or are there more pure modules I would have to take?

Hope someone can help!

You must take FP1 (old P4) as the pure module in your AS further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    You must take FP1 (old P4) as the pure module in your AS further maths.
    That sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    That sucks.
    Mind you, most peopel do AS and A2 further maths in year 13 - i did normal maths A-level in year 12, so it works out fine

pk

ReputationRep:
    You can defintely do Further Maths AS Level with only Maths AS Level behind you.

FP1 only requires C1 and C2.

ReputationRep:
    so a AS in further maths would be like:
    FP1, M3 and M4

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do AS FM with FP1, D1, M1 in my A2 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goku999)
    so a AS in further maths would be like:
    FP1, M3 and M4
    He could consider FP1, S1, D1. It will expand his knowledge of mathematics, rather than concentrating solely on pure and mechanics.

Plus, they are classified as '1' modules, which are far easier than '3' and '4' modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    FP1 assumes knowledge of C4

ReputationRep:
    fmaths requires FP1 so u have to take that and another 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)

Haha! I wish! You definitely need C1-C4 to realistically do FP1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnSPals)
    Haha! I wish! You definitely need C1-C4 to realistically do FP1.
    i dont think so - cos i did FP1 this year and havent done C3 or C4. ull need C1 and C2 but not the other 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    i dont think so - cos i did FP1 this year and havent done C3 or C4. ull need C1 and C2 but not the other 2.
    Don't you need to know more adanced methods of integration (e.g. WIth trig functions), as well as integrating seperable variables? And implicit differentiation? I'm sure you need it, because I sat P4 in january and did need P3.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you need to know more adanced methods of integration (e.g. WIth trig functions), as well as integrating seperable variables? And implicit differentiation? I'm sure you need it, because I sat P4 in january and did need P3.
    i think the new syllabus is differnet to the old one. cos ive never done advanced methods of integration etc but i sat FP1 in june.

ReputationRep:
    i think the new syllabus is differnet to the old one. cos ive never done advanced methods of integration etc but i sat FP1 in june.
    Can't anyone back me up? The syllabusses are the same, because it says both FP1 and P4 on current papers (i.e. Either can sit them). I distinctly remember having to use P3 time and time again! This is going to do my nut in now :-).

*goes off to find some P4 papers*

ReputationRep:
    This is the very paper I sat: http://math.mdsalih.com/Data/Edexcel...20Jan%2005.pdf

How would you go about doing questions 3, 4(a) and 6(a)? You need to be able to integrate and differentiate a trig function and differentiate implicitly to do them.

ReputationRep:
    Can't anyone back me up? The syllabusses are the same, because it says both FP1 and P4 on current papers (i.e. Either can sit them). I distinctly remember having to use P3 time and time again! This is going to do my nut in now :-).

Yes you are correct. We do need the advanced differentiation and integration methods from C3 and C4 for differential equations, and in some cases polar coordinates.

ReputationRep:
    This is the very paper I sat: http://math.mdsalih.com/Data/Edexcel...20Jan%2005.pdf

How would you go about doing questions 3, 4(a) and 6(a)? You need to be able to integrate and differentiate a trig function and differentiate implicitly to do them.
    i think theres confusion becasue we do different boards
    i do mei ocr not edexcel :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i think theres confusion becasue we do different boards
    i do mei ocr not edexcel :rolleyes:
    Woops .

But surely this still applies? My FP1 is harder than yours. Nerr.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 8, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.